1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Eric Weddle: I’m not coming in until Chargers do something

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, May 6, 2015.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...gers-do-something/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

The Chargers have been working out without safety Eric Weddle for the last couple of weeks and it looks like they’ll continue to be without one of their top defensive players.

Weddle is in the final year of his deal and wants a new contract with the Chargers, something that General Manager Tom Telesco said he has “no doubt” they’ll be discussing now that the draft is over. Until those discussions pick up steam, however, Weddle said he’ll be doing his work apart from the team.

“I’m not coming in anytime soon until something on their side is said,” Weddle said during an appearance with Dan Sileo of The Mighty 1090. “They know where we’re at and they obviously know their stance, so we’ll see what happens from there.”

Weddle said that he’s been in contact with defensive coordinator John Pagano about changes to the team’s defensive playbook and the team doesn’t have any mandatory work until minicamp starts on June 16. That leaves some time to start working toward an agreement that would keep Weddle from deciding whether he wants to risk fines as part of his push for a new deal.

2. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    It's just the beard talking tough...Eric doesn't really feel that way deep down inside.
    All seriousness aside, TT may be waiting to get PR's contract inked to see if they can afford Weddle or not. Dude's a great player, but definitely in line BEHIND Mr. Rivers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    Next time don't agree to a contract to which you won't adhere Mr. Weddle.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    Agree but I must say I found Trotter's article on Rivers v interesting and plausible. Philip might not be as white/goody goody as we think he is.

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Nobody ever is. None of us actually know the guy, we only know what we hear and/or see in the media and/or on the field. PR is a great example of fan perspective: We Chargers fans (mostly) LOVE the guy; the rest of the league fans, for the most part, detest him for almost the exact same reasons.

As for Eric Weddle, I really hope they keep him. He is our best defensive player and will not easily be replaced. If the team wants to let him go, then trade him for something good. The team has got to stop letting these guys walk at the end of contracts without getting anything in return.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    I understand business wise why Weddle would stay home, but personally, you signed a contract, its still valid, stop bitching and get in to practice.

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    It's not like he's getting Russell Wilson money either, his cap number is over $10M this season. When was the last time a guy making $10+M threw this kind of hissy fit?

I think he deserves a contract, but I'm losing some respect for him.

8. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    I remember that during his 1st contract negotiations under the AJ regime, Weddle also was publicly vocal about its progress. Something to the effect of he needs to be shown the money, or he'd go where they would appreciate him (pay him more)

9. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    I agree on Weddle in that he is a big part of our team nevermind the D. But I cannot understand for a moment why he is staying home. What's the worst that can happen?... he plays out his contract in SD and signs a new deal here or elsewhere?, WTF?..... he's already got more money than he can ever spend. He is supposed to be one of our leaders who everybody looked up to. Get the F back into Chargers Park for chrissakes. Play for your teammates and fans if not the front office.

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I for one am glad that Eric wants to stay with the team.
    Let us not pretend he is the first player to take this route, nor the first Charger.

Are we simply to forget when Antonio Gates took this very same route, leading to a placement on an exempt list that carried a 3 game suspension after he refused to report to camp?
    "On August 23, 2005, after holding out for a contract extension, Gates inked a six-year deal worth up to $24 million with the San Diego Chargers. Because of his holdout, Gates was suspended for one game–the home opener against the Dallas Cowboys, a loss. Gates went on to have another stellar season, catching 89 passes for 1,101 yards and 10 touchdowns, but the Chargers missed the playoffs by a single win."

The players have to consider the next season as well as the season after that. They never know when one hit will have them out of the game for good. That is why so many don't want to get to a position where they have the one season left.

Part of the issue as I see it is a lack of communication from the FO. How hard is it to indicate they want to do something but it needs to wait until a few mile stones have been met?

11. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Weddle says he's being disrespected?
    Disrespected would be something like Pagano giving jersey number 32 to Craig Mager. ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Or bringing Davis back and giving it to him...

13. Montrose

Montrose BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +223
    Can't believe there is not more sympathy on here for the poor wee multi millionaire throwing his toys out of the pram...

:rolleyes:

Honour your contract Mr Weddle and get on the field.

14. MadMike

Ratings:
    +504
    I wish I could stop paying my mortgage the last year its due. Somehow though, I remember I signed a contract that said I would pay every year. The amazing entitlement of multi-millionaires really pisses me off. I love Weddle the player, love his energy, and I used to love how he lead the team. I sure hope the other players on the team don't "learn" this from him. Show up, start teaching the younger guys how to play, and you will get paid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Since the days when the pilgrims sailed across the Atlantic, they turned their offsprings' prams into strollers and the bottom of the Atlantic must now be littered with abandoned U's ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,554
    To be honest Weddle is at that point in his career where he can only go down from here. Giving him more money might not be the best idea.

Unfortunately it's too late to trade him, and there is too much pressure on TT and MM to be competitive as the Chargers bolt for LA. Trading Rivers and/or Weddle now be like dropping a hydrogen bomb on the Q. Nobody would buy tickets to see the disaster that would ensue.

17. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Telesco calls Weddle into his office for a Starbucks run, second one this morning.
    "I'll have a tall, non-fat latte with caramel drizzle and don't forget to ask John and Mike what they want. Hey, and on the way back I need you to stop at the vets and pick up my beagle. He had his anal glands squeezed so snag a few gym towels before you go. Any puss on my Lexus seats, you get to clean it up. In fact, just take your car."

18. fill-up-rivers

fill-up-rivers BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Weddle has lost some fan support after pulling off this 1st world problems "Millionaires Rant "

He's acting as if he's getting paid chump change for his final year in his contract. Which is what? around 7 Mil?? All of this after he called out some of his team mates for not being committed and then he goes and does this and is holding out of voluntary camp when he still has 1 season left in his contract...Way to make an example to the new guys !

Is Weddle feeling that he thinks he might be replaced or not resigned?? He knows that Rivers still needs to be resigned, So what makes him think that he's above our QB???? Is this his way of lashing out? Or does Weddle want to be traded or not be resigned ?? The Beard has grown into his brain

19. camdogy

camdogy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I am with Weddle on this one, the uncertainty of being in the last year of contract plus all the rumours about leaving SD, TT needs to understand how much of an impact player Weddle is for us and if he is unwilling to negotiate have the decency to be forward about it instead of stringing him along.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Montrose

Montrose BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +223
    :laugh::laugh:

That can't be right. Next you'll be telling me it's pronounced aloominum ;)

21. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Once you get used to that, your next word to practice would be Noocular ;)

P.S. Kings College London Alumni (Dept of Electrical Engineering 1980-1984) :)

22. Ski

Ski BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1

$10 mil and he's whining? I think he's been rewarded already. Honor your contract Weddle.

23. MadMike

Ratings:
    +504
    Year-Base Salary-Prorated Bonus-Cap Hit
    2015-$7,500,000-$2,600,000-$10,100,000

24. Montrose

Montrose BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +223
    Thanks. :) I'm going to update my CV and claim to be bi-lingual.

Did they teach you to drop your Hs as well?

25. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Weddle just made #86 on top 100, I hope he didn't feel disrespected by that :)

All joking aside, I really hope something gets done with this, But I'm just worried he may be trying to price himself higher than what they may be willing to give if talks do open up. Also, if they fail to extend him and opt to let the season play out, there is no doubt in my mind that he walks without even considering what they have to offer.

26. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    I still don't get it... Saw Acee say something about many people lying if in fact Weddle gets signed to an extension i.e. sounds like the Bolts are willing to let him play out his contract and let him walk. He is not getting any younger that is for sure but it still seems odd to again let a good player walk at end of contract. It seems to happen far too often in SD for my liking. At least bring him in for a one to one (who knows this has not happened?) and tell him what you think and see what he thinks and take it from there. But stop playing it out in the media. Weddle is a bit of an institution in SD and in the locker room, let's sort this BS out man to man TT.

27. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,554
    I think that's pretty much certain. I would not break the bank to re-sign a safety on the wrong side of 30. He's probably got 3-4 years left in him, but at the end of the deal he more than likely won't be worth his price.

28. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    I don't have a problem with any of this on either side. Weddle's gotta do what's right for himself/family and the Chargers need to look out for their long term future. It's business, has nothing to do with teammates, honoring your contract (these are voluntary workouts he's missing, not regular season games) and certainly not the fans.
    You have to figure Eric is looking for something like 4-5 yrs 40 million (I doubt he's looking to take a pay cut after another pro bowl year). There's only so many guys you can give that kind of money to on a team. Eric's a fine safety, but let's be real, he's not an Ed Reed, Brian Dawkins or Sean Taylor safety. Do you really wanna commit that much money to him? Tough call, I'm glad I'm not making it. Next years safety class is looking pretty solid too, I could understand if they let him play it out and walk. Although if that's the plan, I'd rather just trade him now for a 2nd rounder.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    On an unrelated note I miss watching Ed Reed and Brian Dawkins in their prime. Those are two of my favorite defensive players of all time along with Ray Lewis. JJ Watt is making a case for that list as well.