1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Eric Weddle is the "Great White" Irony...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SanDiegoRon, Jul 29, 2008.

1. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    :icon_eek: :lol:
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20080729-9999-1s29chargers.html

[​IMG]
    Eric Weddle may not be the picture of a defensive back, but don't doubt his game

By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

July 29, 2008

Eric Weddle is the Great White Irony of the Chargers secondary, not at all what he appears.
    If being in the NFL were a contest of aesthetics, it would be Weddle's great misfortune to be a defensive back.

As a rule, defensive backs are chiseled from granite. Their stomachs could be used as washboards. Their muscles have muscles.

Weddle is about as cut as the Pillsbury Doughboy. He is a throw pillow among the rocks.

“We kid him,” cornerback Antonio Cromartie said. “He doesn't look like a football player. He belongs on '90210.' ”

But there is a great contradiction with Weddle, who will take over for the departed Marlon McCree at free safety this season. And that contradiction is as clearly marked as the white sideline paint.

“He doesn't look like a football player,” Quentin Jammer said. “Until he gets on the football field.”

Jammer halted an unrelated conversation earlier this summer when Weddle walked by him. Jammer lowered his voice and nodded in Weddle's direction.

“This guy right here,” Jammer said, “he's going to be special.”

Said strong safety Clinton Hart: “He doesn't fit the ideal DB. Usually DBs are chiseled. But he has everything a DB should have. I guess that's the man upstairs showing you they can come in all shapes and sizes.”

Indeed, as easily as they laugh about Weddle's appearance, those who play with him stop abruptly and praise his play.

“He's got the smarts,” Cromartie said. “He might not look like a football player, but out on the field he's going to make the right calls. And whatever he runs – a 4.41 or whatever he ran at the Combine – he can play at full speed, now.”

Weddle takes the kidding in stride. First, he knows it's true that he does not have the look of a typical skill player in football. Second, he knows how good he is.
    “I work hard to get strong,” Weddle said. “I just don't got the looks. But when I get out there it's like a switch. You look at me off the field and you're like, 'Man, this fool's not a football player.' You see me play and you're like, 'Wow! He doesn't look the same.'

“I've always battled that my whole life. Even my first couple years in college I was self-conscious about it. I wanted to look good. I never would take off my shirt. I'm around guys who are ripped up. Now I could care less. They didn't draft me because I looked good. They drafted me because I can play football.”

It's about all General Manager A.J. Smith could talk about after giving up second-, third-and fifth-round draft picks to move up 25 spots to select Weddle 37th overall in the 2007 draft. Smith promised Weddle was a “football player” above all else.

At one time or another in his career at the University of Utah, the kid played quarterback, both safety positions, cornerback, running back, punter and holder.

It was that versatility, willingness and adeptness that impressed the Chargers as much as anything.

It was always only a matter of time that Weddle would displace McCree. By midseason last year, Weddle was splitting time with the veteran – except for when Weddle was playing the nickel.

Now the starter, Weddle has impressed everybody at Chargers Park with his spring and summer performance. Philip Rivers said it is as if Weddle knows what Rivers is going to do, he plays coverage that well.

Weddle is the shortest player in the defensive huddle, and he would lose a foot race to every member of the secondary. But he is a religious studier of video and blessed with instincts about football, so he plays neither slow nor small, and he appears to always be around the ball, either breaking up a play or ending it. Clearly, too, Jammer and Cromartie are playing with aggressive confidence this training camp, as they trust Weddle has their back.

“He's got a nose for the football,” secondary coach Bill Bradley said. “He plays football with his eyes as well as anyone I've ever been around. And he does have some quicks. He can run. It doesn't appear that way, but he can.”

*** S T U D...

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    And that's why our safeties are going to be a strength this year. Hart will benefit from Weddle's football smarts, too, because they'll both know where they need to be, unlike McCree. :tup:

3. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    The entire secondary will. I can't remember how many times the corners played the flats hesitantly because they were relectant to let the deep man go to the safety - and when they did, they got burned because the safety (McCree, more often than not) was out of position!

It's going to benefit the corners greatly because they'll be able to release their man to play the short zone, reassured that when the play as called means "safety help", there'll actually BE safety help :abq2:

4. floridaboltfan

floridaboltfan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    This kids got it all. and in and in 7 months hell have a ring also.:abq2::abq1::abq2::abq1:

5. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I am sooooo happy that our floor mat/burned rubber of a safety problem could be nothing but a speck in our rearview...

I found it funny that the guys they interviewed danced around the fact that he's WHITE.

6. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Weddle + Hart >>>>>>> McCree + Kiel

Look for at least the same number of INT and pass defenses this year.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    great white irony???? wtf? :icon_huh:

8. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    I know! That cracked me up too.

It was as if Acee had written an article just about the fact that he was white, then thought to himself, "Naaah, bad idea, let's change "white" to "chiseled" and "dark skin" to "six pack" and call it a day." But then he forgot to change the headline from his original idea :icon_rofl:

9. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    It is sad that they felt the need to point out that Weddle is white.

AJ has put together a team of good character and great talent football players. HE doesn't care what color they are as long as they play well and conduct themselves like the professionals that they are.

It is just a way to bring attention to the article.:rolleyes:

10. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Good point vegasboy about the "white" phrasing. Weddle is football smart and instinctive. I have a feeling that Cason has a lot of that in him too. Our once weak secondary will be one of the teams greatest strengths...VERY SOON :bolt:

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Maybe this year we'll have safeties who play like they know what it means. :yes:

12. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I agree, skin color is irrelevant. Weddle is yet another brilliant get by AJ. Speaking of which:

Does anybody know who the Bears drafted with the picks acquired in the Weddle trade? I'll bet we will come out big winners when all is said and done.

13. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    According to Scout.COM, In exchange for the Bears' 2nd round pick used to select Weddle, CHicago got San Diego's:

2007 2nd round pick - selected DE Dan Bazuin (Central Michigan)
    2007 3rd round pick - selected LB Michael Okwo (Stanford)
    2007 5th round pick - selected DB Kevin Payne (Louisiana-Monroe)
    2008 3rd round pick - selected DT Marcus Harrison (Arkansas)

14. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Of course we all know that what the Bears need to succeed more than anything is more defense.

15. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Yeah. I actually see only Harrison making much of an impact over the next few years. He's a decent DT.

Okwo could be one, but he might need a little longer to develop.

16. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    I don't see Bazuin or Okwo anywhere on the Bears' depth chart. Payne is third string SS.

I'd say the early returns are that we kicked Chicago's ***.

:lol:

17. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Yeah. I think Bazuin and Okwo were placed on IR last offseason. :eek:

Only Harrison looks like he might be a long-term player for the Bears. :yes:

Just goes to show that having 3 extra picks doesn't necessarily mean you'll get anything for it.

I'm sure if it was AJ with all those picks, he'd have found 4 gems with them. :yes:

18. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942

Bazuin only played in the preseason last year. Maybe injured?

Garrett Wolfe RB 3rd string
    Kevin Payne DB 3rd string
    Marcus Harrison DT 2nd string

19. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    A starting FS who already knows the defense solid for 4 backups. :lol:

BTW, Garrett Wolfe was taken using the Bears' regular pick that round, not ours that was traded to them. :D

20. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    my boy is GAWD.... :lol:

21. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    :yes:

Dude fleeced the Bears, even though most dickheads think we overpaid for Weddle. Kiper thought it was too much, yet all the Bears did was select a bunch of scrubs with the picks that AJ gifted them.

22. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680

Maybe, but they would still only be complimentary players, and we don't have much space on our roster anyways.

AJ knew that this was the perfect opportunity to use extra picks and move up to take a special player. My man crush keeps escalating as time goes on.

:tup:

23. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Just don't make any AJ-in-a-bikini-or-tank-top avatars. :lol:

Keep it the hottie chicks. :yes:

24. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    NO! My boi is!!!

25. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    true dat. although mccree made plays on occasion, like that hit on either harrison or wayne in the playoffs, that was nice (if it was him) :tup:

26. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    No, actually, MY BOY is!!!

27. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    He doesn't look like a football player because he is WHITE. Not because he is fat. The WHITE Pillsburry dough boy, I have seen Weddle he looks nothing like the Dough boy. McCree and Hart aren't ripped, they don't have muscles on muscles. They are fit, but we have guys who are a lot more fit. Weddle can beat most guys in our defense, he has one of the fastest cone times and has great short bursts.

Just like Hester is a FB because he is white, Weddle isn't "athletic enough" and doesn't "look like the part". People are classified into positions in part by the way they look. Skin color is unfortunately one of these. Both for Blacks and Whites.

28. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Buzzkill mother****er. :no:

29. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    at least they're not calling him Casper or anything:lol::no:

Weddle is gonna kick some *** this year!

30. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Just an idea, but maybe he was making a play on words from the popular movie "The Great White Hype", and also pointing out that it's ironic that although he's not the stereotypical chiseled player, he ironically plays better than most.

Just an alternate thought process...:icon_shrug: