1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Eric Weddle: I've got 3-5 years left in me

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000641762/article/eric-weddle-ive-got-35-years-left-in-me

While some view impending free agent safety Eric Weddle as a high-cost, minimum-reward option in free agency this year, the 31-year-old three-time Pro Bowler wants teams to know that he's in it for the long haul.

Weddle missed three games in 2015, though some were a medical decision made by the Chargers that Weddle clearly disagreed with. It was the first time he missed any starts since 2009.

"I've got 3-5 years left in me," Weddle told The MMQB. "I want to go somewhere I have a chance to win a Super Bowl. Until last year, I've never been injured. I've never had surgery. I don't drink, I don't go out. My shoulders, back, legs, hip, they're all fine. I think I bring a lot to a team."

Weddle certainly proved that from a leadership standpoint in San Diego. In what he thought was the Chargers' final home game, Weddle stayed for hours signing autographs and thanking a fan base that quickly embraced Weddle's playing style. Over the past five years, he has been one of the best safeties in football.

Now, he is one of the top free agents in what feels like the most interesting class since the implementation of the franchise tag. We wrote about that, and the influx of money in this year's market, here.

Weddle's declaration to play five more years is interesting, but common at this point. Every player in their early 30s predicts they can go the distance, but the downside of a performance curve is sharp and sudden. New money can possibly change that, or at least make teams less risk averse than they would be on the open market. We have held firm in our prediction of an Antonio Cromartie-type four-year deal in the $30 million range for Weddle that can be backed out of easily.

Will teams see something more in Weddle, though? We could find out very soon.

Haters..... GO....

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    To hell with that greedy, impatient, whiny, lying, ball sack.

3. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    I'm still mad about this. Frustrated that it's got this far, frustrated that we're losing the leader of our defense with nothing to show for it, and frustrated at the Chargers for feeling that this is an acceptable way to treat people.

How attractive will they look to potential free agents now that not only is their location in question, not only are they a mediocre team, but they also treat some of their longest serving players like garbage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I'm sure that they're going to get a comp pick next year

5. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Depending on how much he gets we could get a 3rd or 4th round pick.

6. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    ^^^ Or maybe a fourth, a fifth (of gin) and a Tool Lateralis CD.

7. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Love Weddle. Love what he did for our team for many years. But anyone watching him on the field last year knows he is already starting the slide down the other side. I would love to have him back but there is no way I would pay him what the rumors say he is asking for (8-9 million a year). If he wants to stay for 5 million a year, sign him now.

8. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    And yet, Telesco has no problem paying Flowers $9,750,000 cap hit for this coming season. Priorities.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    You know it doesn't really work like that.

10. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    So let me get this straight - it's being widely reported that Weddle won't be getting the big money contract he covets, from us or any other team. Yet he and his agent spent the better part of a year whining and trashing our front office for not giving him a contract that no one else is offering? And then obviously quitting on last season altogether to save himself for his free agency year. Sorry but I won't be joining the hands across America campaign for Eric and his ******* agent. Don't let the door hit ya on the way out bud

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    I believe it was more so on the fact that they wouldn't even discuss a contract and told or hinted that he isn't in their future plans. The way Weddle has been handling this whole situation makes me think it's for the best. Hello Jalen Ramsey!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    I seriously doubt the front office didn't have any talks with his agent. It probably went something like
    TT: what would it take to extend Eric's contract?
    Agent: (insert ridiculous number here)
    TT: we're thinking more in this ballpark
    Agent: That's insulting!!
    * pissing match ensues for the whole next year

I may be in the minority, but I'm not the biggest Weddle fan in the world. I think he's a good solid player, I don't think he's irreplaceable by any means or worth the 10 million we paid him on the back end of that last contract. 19 interceptions in 9 seasons, I think we can find that production in someone else.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    We don't overpay for over the hill CBs?... Since when?

14. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    First of all Weddle is over the hill himself, he's 31 now, Flowers is 30. And there are a lot of miles on Weddle because he's barely missed a single snap since 2008, and regularly records 100 tackle seasons. JMO, I don't think him finally getting hurt last year is a coincidence at all.

Secondly, we already paid Flowers, the money is gone, cutting him wouldn't save a dime in cap space. As much as we'd like to take it back (A LOT) and give it to Weddle, that's not how it works.

Thirdly, I genuinely believe Weddle fully intended to either rape the Chargers in contract talks last year, or force his way out of town all along. Think back on his first deal where he damn near left for MIN, we had to overpay to keep him, and there were a lot fans irritated at AJ Smith because Weddle's performance hadn't warranted that kind of money yet.

Weddle is a money man through and through, and I wouldn't blame him for it at all if he'd just been honest, instead of having his agent take to twitter and bitch like a jilted 13 year old girl.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    You mean the static position of this team for pretty much Weddle's entire tenure here? It's not even a Telesco administration vs AJ Smith administration, this was a process put in place by Ed Mcguire under Butler. The team will negotiate up until the competitive season starts and after that ALL contract negotiations are put on hold until the season is done. There was (to my knowledge) one lone break in that, Marcus McNiell (for what was a first contract extension in his prime... not a second one in the twilight of his career).

People can argue that it's a (perhaps) dumb hard-line tactic to take (strange how no one or agent seemed to have an issue with Rivers stating a similar hard line in the time that was leading up to us getting him an extension), but Weddle and his agent certainly can't claim that they didn't know this would be the process taken. He's not a unique and special snowflake.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    so 31 is over the hill but you just gushed about a Dolphins 32 year old CB you want to be part of this team?

Heh? You taking mental notes on what you post Matti? ;)

17. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    No it was Blue who called Flowers "over the hill", I just said Weddle was still older.

Also Grimes will come relatively cheap as it's clear he's past his prime. Where as Weddle is trying to get a big deal, and is only a year younger. Context.

18. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Oh, I know we can't take back what is already spent on Flowers, it's just that I'm tired of getting these players who sign a one year "prove it" deal. Suprise, they look good for that one year. Then, the Chargers give them a pile of cash, and their play goes South. Gaither was just the most extreme example, but Flowers' age should've been a factor when inking that new deal. Few positions require speed more than CB, and we know how guy's can suddenly lose that once they reach 30.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Move Flowers to Safety and problem solved with getting rid of both Flowers and Weddle at the same time from their respective positions.

I had a dream not so long ago that Flowers was going to be even better than Eric Berry if given a chance to steal Weddle's coveted job and to add insult to injury having already stolen Eric's coveted future easy earning$ from the hapless Dolts
    ;)

20. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Where is Ramsey going to play? ;)

21. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Does McYoc ever start his rookies? ;)

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Yeah. You did not see the RB running wild this last season?

23. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    ^^^ He ran hard against all those defensive players in the backfield...

• Like Like x 1
  24. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Moreover, is Flowers now the new Jammer?

I always find it funny how people just arbitrarily say to "move a CB to safety" without considering whether or not the player's skill set actually fits the safety position or not.

25. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    To be fair and also to defend myself, I have been preaching the "move to safety" catchphrase since when Rodney Harrison had lost a step (before his recovered the lost step with the aid of medical sciences) :)

26. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    They had a RB?! :eek: :confused:

• Winner Winner x 1
  27. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +306
    The problem remains that the Chargers are a worse team without Weddle. What needed to happen is for Weddle to be re-signed so that the team could use its resources to fill other holes. The loss of Weddle creates another hole that the team has to fill and that the team will likely not be able to fill with a player as good as Weddle, making the team worse.

Even if we were to draft Ramsey, this would be the second year in a row that Telesco would be burning our first round pick (plus others in the case of Gordon) to get a player to replace a player that should have been re-signed.

Unfortunately, the team does not get better by repeating this process. The team gets better by keeping its good players and replacing its lesser players with better ones. And the better ones typically are not those that have been cut by the Indianapolis Colts.

28. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Acee may be too close to Weddle to be objective, but he does make a point in that you can replace Weddle the player with someone younger and more athletic, but you'll lose all his knowledge and intelligence in directing the defense on the field. The Chargers defense has recently lost most of the leadership (Freeney, Johnson, etc), and now it will lose perhaps its most important leader in Weddle.

A lot needed to be done to address the weakness of the defense already, and soon it will be even worse. If there aren't some impact FA signings, we should all expect another year at the bottom.

29. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +306
    Obviously, if you are going to measure Weddle's value to the team by INTs alone, then you could reach that conclusion. I do not think it would be a correct conclusion, but it would be one that could be reached using that criteria and ignoring everything that Weddle does well.

Naturally, if that is your criteria, my question would be why you would ever want to have anything to do with Ramsey since he only had 3 INTs in 3 seasons at Florida State and has worse ball skills than Weddle (less ball awareness and probably worse hands).

I also completely disagree with your characterization of what happened between Telesco and Weddle. Weddle himself specifically denied that any specific number had been put before him for his consideration.

Telesco simply took the idiotic approach of unilaterally deciding that Weddle's demand was too high and making no formal offer in response. In doing so, he completely ignored that opening demands are high by design because the demanding party simply wants to get the process started without boxing himself into a corner by putting his bottom line on the table at the outset. Since it takes two to negotiate, Telesco's non-negotiation approach made it impossible for any agreement to be reached.

Had Telesco conducted himself in a competent and professional manner, he would have continued negotiations without caving into any demands that he felt were too high without taking the crybaby "I'm taking my ball and going home" approach that he took. He would not have made the idiotic statement that he made at the end of the season to the effect that it is best for everyone if Weddle moves on (completely allowing personal issues to supplant team needs since it is obviously not best for the Chargers not to have Weddle on the team).

That way, when Weddle was not an All-Pro selection this year (either First or Second Team All-Pro) for the first time in 6 years and Telesco found himself with an extra $12M (give or take) with which to work due to salary cap expansion, Weddle could have discovered that his demands were a bit high and Telesco could have discovered that he could take a bit more flexible position in terms of offering Weddle a little more money.

Had that more normal negotiating approach taken place, on March 9, 2016, Telesco could have still been in the game with respect to retaining Weddle's services. But that would have required actual negotiating skills instead of the clusterflop perpetrated by Telesco.

And one other thing. If Telesco had any inkling that he was not keeping Weddle (and his approach suggests that he was not keeping him no matter what) before the commencement of free agency in 2015, he should have re-signed Gilchrist so that he had a reliable fall back option for a starting caliber FS already in place.

To enter 2016's free agency with no legitimate starting caliber FS on the roster is inexcusable.

30. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    This is the old year too early vs. year too late thing. Tough to let Weddle go, but better to do it now than give him a big contract and watch his play fall off a cliff, as it started to last year.

Folks who criticize the Chargers position on Weddle need to realize that what Weddle was asking for last year was unrealistic. He wanted a contract extension that would make him the top paid safety in the league, despite the fact that he's on the wrong side of 30. I applaud the Chargers for doing the hard, right thing. Weddle let his ego get the best of him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1