1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Eric Weddle says he feels disrespected...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Apr 20, 2015.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
  2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
  3. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    This is horseshit. I know the Rivers thing isn't completely Telesco's fault, but there is no excuse to not pay Weddle.

I've always been the pro team guy who argues "it's a business", but Eric Weddle deserves to get paid again. He's the face of the defense, a team leader, and a frickin boyscout who works his *** off in the offseason. Don't **** this up Telesco!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Depending on what happens to Rivers, Weddle is a player you can hang your franchise on, in a Ray Lewis, JJ Watt type of way, (he's not there but he's damn close) where there is some sort of name to talk about, where we're not saying "Man did you see Mitch Unrein almost tackle that guy?"

Telesco said a couple weeks ago that he isn't negotiating contracts until after the draft, but apparently this has been a topic for a couple years now, and I think he could have said it in another way other than "this isn't a priority now" to me that is very disrespectful to say to anyone, especially to the only vocal leader you have. If we lose Rivers I'll be bummed, if we lose Weddle I'll be bummed. but if we lose both of them I'll be irate.

5. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    If we lose both we may as well just trade Gates and complete the offseason implosion with a mic drop.

Unless Weddle is asking for 10+M a year, this is inexcusable.

6. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    A few of us (let's say the board elders) who often quip and banter in other nooks and crannies of this site, have been predicting an implosion of sorts, vis a vis the likely move to LA.

I don't believe that implosion will be set off this offseason, but rather the next when you will even see your average Chargers fan (the none militant fan forums type) will be burning their Chargers jerseys in the streets in protest to an LA move. Till then I really believe that this is the last season ever, when unity matters and I rather fondly watch and remember this team in the way that it brings back some good memories, among the terrible and the bad, over the span of the last 25 years for me and much longer for some other "elders".

I sincerely hope that no matter how Pros such as Rivers and Weddle feel about the insidious ways that this Franchise has historically wronged its stars, their professionalism trumps over personal feelings and they find it within themselves to give it their all as a last hurrah for the Fans and their (collective) love of the Game!

7. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Well it seems to be happening NOW. If Telesco wants to stick his head in the sand and pretend it's not happening until we lose everyone in FA next year, then so be it. But technically the dissent is starting now.

8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    See there is a flip side to every coin, A) basically make moves that will force San Diego to literally run you out of town, but then they lose any and all fans who are part of the faithful. B) Trying to establish a new fan base in the land of Star Studded Hollywood home of the Lakers, Dodgers and Kings, going in with a bad news bears team won't generate the cheers you're looking for.

9. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Not everyone, but seemingly only those with strong SD roots (Rivers and Weddle) For instance, note that Liuget was critical of the fan base when the home stadium seemed like the away stadium. If there are no Rivers, Gates, Floyd and Weddle on the team, the next tier Chargers like Liuget, Ingarm, Allen, Fluker, Te'O, et al are not really deeply rooted "homers"

10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Weddle is a team player, it would be best if the Chargers could give him a nice signing bonus while signing him to a TJ Ward like deal with almost all guaranteed or something like that. If it benefits him while giving cap flex to the team, you know he'd do it.

11. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    It's always tough when you only get one side of the issue, it lets imaginations run wild as to what the other side is thinking/doing/not doing. But I don't see many NFL GMs going tit-for-tat in the media over player's contracts...maybe they should for the sake of the fans, but I don't think it's necessarily a good business practice.

12. OP Bolt

OP Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    I agree w/ Fossil - I try (not always successfully) to not get too invested in these chicken little type stories, especially if it is just someone's brain gas bubble. However, for someone with Weddle's history to not only make a quotable statement, but then to follow-up with the clear action of declining to go to "volumtary" workouts, indicates there is more than smoke to this story.

13. BoltsUK88

BoltsUK88 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Oh boy, this off season continues to give me nightmares. I wish I could take a time machine, find out what happens and return as a bearer of good news.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    SMH....

15. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    As much as I do not particularly care for Telesco, I can't fault him for not re-signing a player at this moment. I think it is better for Telesco to see what he has after the draft so that he can decide what approach to take with Weddle when he has a more complete picture of what the team will look like.

I do not think how much Weddle should be paid will be all that difficult to work out if Weddle wants to remain a Charger, but the specific structure of the contract could change depending upon other player contracts.

That said, I do think that Telesco should not let Weddle get to free agency next year if he can prevent it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
  17. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Especially true if there's a bonecrusher, ready-to-start, kick *** safety the Boltz might acquire in the upcoming draft or thru trade.
    If there is a possibility, TT knows he might screw up a Weddle trade if he redid his contract now. I don't follow college players, is there bonecrusher, ready-to-start, kick *** safety that the Boltz might acquire in the upcoming draft or thru trade?

18. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I considered the replacement possibilities for Weddle when I made my previous comments. Nobody comes to mind as someone that we would target, especially with our other team needs. For example, one top projected FS, Damarious Randall, is presently ranked #61 in CBS's current prospect rankings. The Drafttek big board lists Cody Pruitt as its top FS candidate at #72 overall. I wouldn't assume that either player would be an immediate impact player.

So, there are no highly ranked FS candidates and there is not even a consensus in the round 2-3 range which player, if any, is worthy of that level of consideration.

While they may be present, I am unaware of any trade possibilities through which we might obtain a good FS.

Still, I would prefer for Telesco to wait and see what our team is going to look like this year and use that as a base from which to make decisions about how to structure contracts for future years.

19. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +504
    I get the waiting but the quote from his agent if true does not read well i.e. he was told an extension for Weddle was not a priority. That doesn't add up. Why wouldn't the team say we'll get it done but not until after the draft? it doesn't add up for me, but for Weddle to come out like he has talking about respect etc means there has to be some truth in it.

I don't get it. Weddle is such a leader on this team, such a consistent high achiever.... he must be a priority ala Liuget.

20. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Agent speak. Media relay. They're both going to go with the most self-serving approach.

What Telesco or John Spanos (since ol' Ed McGuire job is now Johnny's) may well have told Weddle's agent is that an extension "isn't a priority" until after the draft. The agent or the reporting member of the media may well have just decided to omit that last little tidbit because it was more buzzworthy.

Telesco has been very, very transparent about his timetable and how things are being approached on the docket - he's said the exact same thing since before free agency even started and he was at the Combine. It's the week leading up to the draft, the General Manager's priority should be the draft. Any reasonable player (of which I consider Weddle to be) should at least recognize that fact.

21. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +504
    I get ya but what's with the feeling disrespected BS. Has Weddle actually said that do we know for sure?

22. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Weddle's getting played by his agent.
    No fricken way TT said, "Extending Eric is not a priority right now." End of conversation.
    Does TT even sound like the kind of pr1ck who would say that and hang up the phone without taking 30 seconds to remind the agent he's not considering any extensions until after the draft?
    If Eric wants to skip OTAs, play out his contract year, and test free agency in 2016, I'm completely fine with that. Apparently, he's not and it (now obviously) has very little to do with warm fuzzy feelings and everything to do with the almighty dollar.

23. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Extending Rivers would be the priority. I would think all other extensions would not be a priority compared to that one. Basically, I think the Chargers have spent the offseason focused on extending a player (Rivers) that want's to wait to sign a new contract and ignoring a player (Weddle) that wants to sign an extension. Seems like a situation Telesco could easily rectify.

24. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    That doesn't sound like something a good Catholic would say.:D

Then again, I've met some pretty cutthroat Catholics. Let's hope TT leans more to the direction of the current pope.

• Funny Funny x 1
  25. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    This off season has been my worst.

And I guess I'll watch as many charger games as I can this year since the NFL keeps watering down the product with useless rules and I'm already falling out of love with the pro game.

They might as well give the nfl to the world. It won't make the $$ they expect with such a rule heavy game that doesn't even protect its players properly. (Helmets should be decided by the best rated and battle tested product and not the individual player)

26. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Hearing what Telesco said yesterday, you can tell he is very schedule driven, if it's not in his time frame he won't consider it, I think it will get done, if this story was brought up in May, June, or July (time frame where he said he works on extensions) then I guess I'd be more worried

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I agree. However I think that peace of mind could be given to the Weddle camp by letting them know with a call, text or e-mail that a discussion is forth coming after the draft.

28. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,409
    That's not a priority right now. ;)

29. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
  30. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,409
    So, "voluntary" actually means voluntary?......... amazing. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1