1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Eric Weddle's agent endorsing trade?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Aug 20, 2015.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
  2. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    Why is the agent an idiot? Isn't it his job to keep interest in his pending free agent client high?

There is no reason not to pay Weddle for at least 2-3 seasons after this season. The guy is a top 5 player at his position and a big time special teams contributor, and his current cap figure will probably be smaller than the franchise tag figure for his position in 2016, which suggests that the team may not be gaining anything by tagging him. So sign him already!

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    No, actually it's not his job to alienate and villainize the team his client wants to sign a long term deal with.

This agent doesn't give two shits what Eric Weddle wants, he wants to get his cut of the new contract; and yet by proxy he represents Eric Weddle. No matter what way you look at it, the guy is a douchebag. Just like Vincent Jackson's agent calling AJ Smith "The lord of no rings" he may be reducing our chances of actually retaining Weddle.

4. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +275
    They just lost their FS Delmas and are looking for one. Yeah... let's just toss them our all pro safety for some draft picks... yeah.

5. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,728
    ^^^All that, and a bag of chips.

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    ^^^ BBQ Chips?

7. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,728
  8. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    You realize there's a difference between attention whoring and keeping teams interested, right? Weddle's agent has done little to help him. Teams don't like to deal with agents who announce their clients won't play special teams/agents who discuss trades weeks before the start of the season. There are only 32 potential employers in the world for Weddle's services, and if his agent discourages even one of them from signing Weddle, he could be costing him some serious money.

9. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    No one complains when Mark Fabiani acts like a douche..... Oh, wait. ;)

• Old Old x 1
  10. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    They give us Suh + smallest contact + Hot Chettos and we let Weddle flirt with them. Sounds about fair.

11. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    Per Spotrac, Weddle has the highest cap figure of any safety in the NFL. I would say that Weddle's agent has done plenty to help him and that help continues.

By indicating that Weddle would not be opposed to trade, the agent has let 31 other teams know that Weddle would be okay playing for another team, which plants a seed in their minds for when Weddle enters free agency, helping to keep interest high and maximize Weddle's options.

Also, I think every other GM in the league understands the following:

1. Weddle will never be in a meaningful contract season for their team because the next contract that Weddle signs will be his last contract as an elite player. Therefore, it is unlikely that such a situation would repeat itself with some other team.

2. The situation with Weddle never would have become an issue had Telesco dealt with Weddle properly in the first place and that a different GM likely could have handled the situation better and without such conflict.

Based upon Telesco's actions, teams will only be encouraged to bid on Weddle's services out of a belief that the team is not going to make a strong play to keep him so the chances of other teams to land Weddle will be increased. In this way, Telesco continues to do all in his power (short of cutting Weddle) to make Weddle not a Charger after 2015.

12. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    What draft picks could the fish offer that would persuade the Boltz to hobble along without Weddle this year?

13. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Weddle's cap figure is not proof of his agent's value. It's a testament to the fact that, when Weddle signed his contract, he was an all-pro safety in the prime of his career.

What Weddle's cap figure does do is disprove your other asinine opinion--that the Chargers are foolish for not signing Weddle to a big money extension. Weddle is neither underpaid nor underappreciated. He has, as you stated, the highest cap figure of any safety in the league. He's pushing for a long-term extension now, because he knows he's on the wrong side of 30 and his play could decline at any time.

The Charger have Weddle's services for three years if they want him. There's no reason to commit a bunch of new guaranteed money to him now.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    By the time Weddle signed his current contract, he had been named to zero Pro Bowls and was named Second Team All-Pro once. His agent got him the largest contract ever for a free safety. I would say that his current contract definitely shows that Weddle's agent has done a good job for him.

Maybe one day you will understand that nothing changes between now and next year's free agency except that Weddle's leverage increases, making him more difficult to re-sign in a team friendly manner.

Only a fool believes that Weddle's level of play will fall off in his 30-year-old season. So, by not signing him, we will invite 31 other teams to bid on him and will gain nothing by waiting as the age at which Weddle will play in the seasons after this season does not change based upon the team's negotiating strategy.

Since we will gain nothing and only stand to lose leverage, negotiating with Weddle now is a no-brainer.

And if we use the franchise tag on him next year, the tag will likely cost us more than his current cap figure. And the tag the year after will cost us even more. And, of course, the tag will then be unavailable for anyone else (which may or may not matter).

15. Slam

Slam BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +137
    Suh seems like the kind of impact player Merriman was for us.

I think Weddle is a great player, but he's not that kind of player you hear the announcer say over and over. He's consistent, but doesn't blow up plays like other guys.

I'm sure we remember when Merriman was in his prime. I loved watching defense sometimes more than offense...and we're talking about when LT was in his prime. I remember him hugging Peyton on his first snap before he had a chance to finish the exhale of his snap. It was just so god damned fun to watch.

Start hitting quarterbacks...I don't care who you are. If you eat dirt a few times...HARD, your decision making goes down.

I think Suh is a dirty player, but I could get behind a dirty player that needs at least two guys to stop him. I like having a mean defense. I'll be interested to see how he does in Miami.

I guess the point of my post is I would go for something like that...make it hot Cheetos though.

16. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    I doubt I could agree much more with everything that you have said with the possible exception of the hot Cheetos.

Watching that defense was a great joy. Jamal, Igor and Castillo would occupy blockers, especially Jamal, and our LBs attacked everything that moved with Merriman being a holy terror, which allowed Phillips to serve as a good Robin to Merriman's Batman. Godfrey provided the thunder in the middle and Donnie Edwards provided the speed, getting to play after play.

I remember sitting in the stands while the fans in the west end zone chanted time and time again, "You can't run! You can't run!" I agree that it was more enjoyable than watching the offense, even an offense that featured LT, Rivers, Gates and Jackson.

But then Merriman was injured by the dirty Titans and Jamal left. It has never even been remotely close to the same since.

Now we have fast finesse players that have some skills, but there is no intimidation factor like there was then. I do miss that.