1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Eric Weddle's ungraceful exit officially begins...on IR

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Dec 28, 2015.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    @utkevinacee
    #Chargers fine Eric Weddle $10k for watching his daughter dance ... and then it got worse. bit.ly/1JEXK5X

@eric_d_williams
    The Chargers placed S Eric Weddle,S Darrell Stuckey, TE Ladarius Green and NT Sean Lissemore on IR, ending their seasons.

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Weddle, Chargers relationship not 'fine'
    [​IMG]
    Eric Weddle watched from the sidelines as he know this may the Chargers last game in San Diego. — Nelvin C. Cepeda / San Diego Union-Tribune

It is now a virtual certainty the Chargers will lose their All-Pro free safety after this season.

At least the team got something in return and left the relationship in ashes.

The team last Tuesday informed Weddle he was being fined $10,000 for remaining on the field Sunday to watch his daughter perform during a dance ceremony at halftime of the game between the Chargers and Miami Dolphins.

Weddle was stunned. He was also furious.

But he declined to go public with the fine. Monday, however, in the wake of the team placing him on injured reserve against his wishes and telling him there is not room on the plane for him to go to the season finale in Denver, Weddle's agent tweeted about the fine.

Weddle had previously not closed the door on remaining with the only team for which he has ever played, even after an unpleasant spring and summer in which the team declined to engage in talks about a contract extension.

“I wouldn’t say impossible,” he said before the team's Dec. 20 home finale. “A lot depends on who wants me. That’s a big thing. It’s not so much about what I’m perceived to be worth, that’s not the issue here; it never was.”

Weddle planned to make free agent visits and considered it unlikely he would be a Charger in 2016. But he was also struggling with leaving Philip Rivers and the young defensive backs with which he has grown close and come to believe can form a nucleus of a top-notch defense.

“We’re ready to go,” he said. “It’s exciting. But there’s uncertainty. … I can see myself (taking) the next step. But then when I get talking with Philip, it breaks me to think he’s going to be here alone without me. That’s where the other side comes in – can I swallow my pride for guys like him? It’s tough. I’m going to have to weigh everything.”

Between the fine and his placement on IR, there is almost certainly no more weighing necessary.

Weddle did not tell team officials beforehand that he was staying on the field. He should have done that. But the team did not have to penalize him for what it termed “conduct detrimental to the team.”

Detrimental? How about completely alienating a player who spends as much time at the facility as anyone and has started 92 of the past 94 games through myriad injuries and taught younger players and been like a coach during games.

Sure, there are rules that need to be followed, even an example that might need to be set. But the Chargers led Miami 23-0 at the half, and it was almost certainly Weddle’s final home game. He spent more than an hour on the field after the game signing autographs and posing for pictures with fans, then did so for an hour more in the parking lot. It is also debatable how much was missed in what amounts to seven minutes the team is in the locker room. According to a source, defensive coordinator John Pagano’s halftime address was essentially, “Keep it up.”

After one more game, the Chargers can keep it up without Weddle.

3. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    WTF is wrong with this team?!? FML....

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,024
    Nuking all their bridges in San Diego and total conflagration of any goodwill left with the more gentle fans, seems to be their sage strategy. Deadpanos better think that he will have the necessary 22 votes on Jan 12th to GTFO!

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I cant believe they fined him for that. What a bucket of douche water!

6. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Does anyone else think that this is exactly how A.J. Smith treated players? It makes me think that Telesco is not as in charge as he should be and that the Spanos clan is driving things.

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Where's the love? ;)

[​IMG]

8. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,024
    It is irrelevant as to whether Tom Minion is in charge or not. If he decided to take the GM job only to be subservient to the snotty nosed sliver spooner (LJS) then it is still on TT because he is the public face of that FO.

9. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Can't wait for Black Monday..

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    Wish it could be Black Monday for our bellend owners too though.

For someone who has given the best years of their career to this organisation, Eric deserved to be treated better than this. I understand the whole concept of not committing your financial future to a 30 year old in terms of extension and the whole business element of it, but to fine someone for missing half time to watch their daughter dance, especially when there are no playoff implications is just plain wrong. Classless to be honest, at this point I'd bin the owners, GM and all of his staff and just start again from the bottom if we somehow could.

How people treat each other is ultimately the most important thing, how are you supposed to build a team and keep them together as a team if this is how you treat your players?

11. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    Classless approach taken by the team, but entirely consistent with the cold shoulder approach taken by the team with other good players that hit free agency such as Phillips and Mathews.

Maybe one day the team's front office will figure out that letting good players walk, trading away draft picks and signing/re-signing lesser players is not a very good way to build a team.

12. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +345
    The Spanos buffoon gene strikes again! What a classless organization, I hope they move to that ghetto dump Carson, and re-brand, I am about doneverything with this worthless organization. So much so, at this point, I'd welcome the San Diego Raiders.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Even Spanos wasn't this moronic on his worst days, this is nothing more than taking a flame thrower to the last few positives this city and players felt for the organization. Honestly if they leave for LA, F'em.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,024
    FIFY!

15. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    Come now...Russell Brand isn't so bad...[​IMG]
    As for the topic......Spanos sucks plain and simple.

16. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,024
    I can certainly understand that rules are rules and I am sure that Weddle understands the rules much better than I do. What Weddle did although unprecedented and absolutely subject to a fine, he was just being the great Dad who he reportedly is (imagine if he had not been there to witness the Jr. cheerleading squad when his Daughter was performing!) plus the team was leading 23-0 and it was possible his/theirs last game at the Q!!! As to why he didn't ask the permission of his HC or DC, is beyond my comprehension (maybe he did and he was denied?!)

In any case, it is NOT the fine which was classless, but the way in which he was unceremoniously dumped short of being cut! Placing a beloved veteran player who has served this organization for the past 9 years on the IR and then barring him from traveling to Denver (he probably has many fans / family there because of his BYU connections) under the pretense that the charter flight was full = A purposeful demonstration of F.U. with a middle finger salute by this classless organization (a very loosely used term in the case of this ownership) to Weddle and the SD Chargers fans, during this stadium and relocation PR clusterfark!

There must be a blueprint of how to be a complete arsehole written by the original owners of the Chargers handed down to every and any ownership since which I suspect the Deadpanoses have perfected during their ownership. You mention Phillips and Matthew, who were good serviceable players with issues. I can give you a litany of much better Chargers to the greatest of all the Chargers who were systematically disrespected and marginalized toward the twilight of their illustrious careers with this "organization". Please feel free to add:

Lance Alworth, Fred Dean, Kellen Winslow, Natrone Means, Leslie O'Neal, Lorenzo Neal, Rodney Harrison, LeDanian Tomlinson, Marty Schottenheimer, Bobby Ross and Junior Seau. This just from atop my head and maybe I ought to put Fouts and Coryell in here too!

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +345
    Whoops! Stupid predict text, got new tablet from Santa, don't know how to shut off yet. I meant SPANOS not SPANISH!

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Damned shame. Not surprised tho.. This behavior is unfortunately become habitual for this organization.

— Quentin Jammer (@JAM_I_AM_23) December 28, 2015

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Ain't like this is the first time it's happened just take a gander back in time.

20. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,024
    I really wish that John Moores would consider buying an NFL franchise to bring to SD. While it is true that he had his head up his arse at the tail end of his Padre's ownership, that was mostly because of his messy divorce and his fooling around with some floozies (allegedly). When he was on his game, he respected and took care of his players and his coaches. He did everything for Ken Caminiti so Ken would shake off his demons, but sadly Ken was too far gone into the abyss!

The icing on the cake: Moores loathes Spanos and hence why Spanos will never get a DT stadium. JMI is just too invested in that Convention Center area for a mooch like Spanos to get freebies!

21. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    Saw this comment online about Spanos, thought it was quite good:

"Football-wise Dean Spanos is, has been, and will always be: the south end of a north-bound horse..."

22. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Maybe the swap in ownership will happen, but that would suck for STL to get arguably the worst ownership in the NFL if not professional sports.

Lose all around for SD fans. We get to keep our team and a horrible ownership or they go to LA.

23. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    [​IMG]

Therefore, your daughter is irrelevant. ;)

24. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,024
    "We really don't mean what we preach, and we certainly do not practice it but it just sounds awesome!" ;)

25. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    My two cents, some won't like it...

If this were Rivers or Gates, this fine wouldn't have happened. I absolutely believe that.

But...
    I believe Weddle knew what he was doing by not going in at halftime. He knows they weren't going cut him that day or before the Raider game either. In an already chilly relationship with the upper management, this may have been his last 'middle finger' to them.

Then the team put him on season ending IR & said he couldn't fly with the team to the last game in Denver. This their last 'middle finger' to him.

The team said today that with 17 people on IR, there isn't enough room on the plane. Right. Sure. Mmmkay.

Not much 'class' either way, if you ask me.

26. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Something is telling me he goes on and plays for the Raiders. And because of this B.S. I wish him all the best.

27. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I thought old Chargers defenders just became Patriots by default. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  28. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,024
    But if equivalency is going to be construed from your opinion (not expressing that you are equating the two action and reaction) the court of public opinion is overwhelmingly against the Chargers FO reaction, and IMHO, very rightly so.

29. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Then the public's opinion is somewhat misguided and not looking at both sides here, which isn't a first. Point is, both sides have not shown class toward each other.

30. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Perhaps, but it's more important that an organization acts with class, than a single individual in this case. California teams are already at a disadvantage when it comes to free agents because of the tax imbalance, so the last thing you'd want is to be seen as petty and disrespectful to your longtime players. The Chargers are totally tone-deaf when it comes to handling the parting process... it's been that way for ages.

• Winner Winner x 1