1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ernie Wright 1940 - 2007 - Another Original leaves us - RIP

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Mar 22, 2007.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
  2. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
  3. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Man, this is a bummer...someone talked about the Dolphins game being the point when he became a Charger fan for life. Mine came at the AFL Championship Game at Balboa Stadium vs the Houston Oilers in '61. Back then the fans (mostly us kids) could run on the field after the games cuz there was no fence around the playing field.

The Chargers had jes lost a heart-breakerta George Blanda, Billy Cannon and Charlie Hennigan and they were celebrating. Ernie was walkin back towards the locker rooms. This snot-nosed kid (yours truly) ran up to him and axt for his autograph. He smiled down at me and said, "Sure son, but'cha gotta hang onta my helmet!!" He gave me his helmet, took my pen and paper, and said, "walk with me awhile".

He axt where I lived, what kinda work my dad did, that sorta stuff. Then my brother came up with the Brownie camera we had, and Ernie posed with both of us. Then he waved went on down to the locker room.

I told my buddies about it, and they wouldn't believe, until we got the film developed. I was BMOC for awhile after that.

RIP Ernie!!

4. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Great story Toby, thanks for sharing.:bolt:

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887

Great story and it has always been with you. rip Ernie.:bolt2:

6. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Sure wish I could find that pic, but I'm afraid it's long since been lost, much to my regret :no: :icon_sad:

7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Cool read and story.

1965 is the earliest game I can remember seeing as a Chargers fan. Alworth was my idol as a kid along with Johnny Unitas of the old Baltimore Colts then Broadway Joe Namath in the 60's with the Jets.

Harland Svare (circa early 70's) drove me away from football altogether until Don Coryell, who I watched at my alma mater SDSU, came on board and football was fun again. The SDSU Aztecs threw the hell out of the ball. I remember a lineman talking about Coryell and it is 4th down and Coryell is screaming to throw the ball and someone says "but coach it is 4th down" and they threw the ball and got a first down. Coryell was fanatical and coincidentially; why I ended up in view level to see those beautiful passing trees develop.

Coryell's mental genius is still being used and it is too freaking cool to see it 30 years later.

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887

BFISA, you will always have those memoeries, just like I do. I was bron into Charger fandom after an assembly by Speedy Duncan at my school, I was in the second grade and have never looked back or turned away from my Bolts.

I hope you can find that pic, damn that would be great!!!!:bolt2:

9. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Broke my heart acuppola years ago when onea the posters at UT said that Balboa Stadium han been torn down when I axt about it.

Christ, I can still smell the eucalyptus. :icon_eek: :icon_sad:

10. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    RIP Ernie

11. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Great story there Toby.

12. BFISA