1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

ESCONDIDO: Meeting over Chargers stadium reportedly goes well

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Sydalish, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,806
    Chargers' general counsel, Escondido attorney say developer asked good, tough questions

ANDREA MOSS - amoss@nctimes.com | Posted: Monday, September 28, 2009 7:45 pm

A meeting between the San Diego Chargers and a developer interested in helping the team build an NFL stadium in Escondido reportedly went well Monday, although specific details from the discussions were not divulged.

Mark Fabiani, general counsel for the Chargers, said four representatives the developer sent to the meeting appeared to have a good grasp of the potential project's opportunities and challenges.

"We knew this was a major developer who was going to ask the difficult questions, which they did," Fabiani said. "And we answered those questions as best we can. We didn't expect a verdict today. This is a complicated project, and people have to go back and evaluate it. But clearly, people understand the idea and are interested in it."

The stadium would be combined with condominiums, offices or retail shops.

Chargers and city officials are looking a deteriorating industrial area south of Highway 78 and east of Interstate 15 as the site for a stadium complex. The site includes a 12-acre swap meet that could be combined with adjacent vacant and underused parcels to yield the 30 to 60 acres Chargers officials have said they need for a new stadium.

Escondido Mayor Lori Holt Pfeiler and Dave Ferguson, an Escondido attorney spearheading the effort to bring the NFL football team to town, also attended the meeting.

The Chargers have said "ancillary" development is necessary to generate the $400 million the team needs to bridge a funding gap for the $800 million project.

"We went over the stadium proposal, talked about what might be included in the complex, including ancillary development, what that might cost, and how much revenue it might generate," Ferguson said. "The developer's going to digest all the information and get back to us in two weeks or so with their comments and analysis."

Both Ferguson and Fabiani said no previously unknown hurdles to building in Escondido came up during the meeting. The men declined to identify the developer, saying the company asked them not to for competitive reasons.

Ferguson described the company as a "very strong, nationally known" developer.

"We only want to talk to people who would be capable of tackling such a large project," he said.

Pfeiler could not be reached Monday for comment.

The meeting came less than three weeks after the Chargers disclosed the team had been eyeing potential Escondido sites for its new stadium. The city is the latest of several the Chargers have looked at since the team launched its search several years ago for a home to replace outdated Qualcomm Stadium in Mission Valley.

The team considered rebuilding that stadium but ruled out the possibility after San Diego officials nixed the team's proposal to use 60 acres of the stadium's parking lot for a hotel, condominiums, offices and shops. The Chargers also looked at sites in Chula Vista, Oceanside and National City.

Escondido was added to the list after the team ran into obstacles in the other cities.

Chargers officials have said the site in Escondido is especially attractive because it's close to the Sprinter light rail line and freeways that provide easy access to San Diego, coastal North County and Riverside County.

The project hinges on whether the stadium can be privately funded. The developer at Monday's meeting was one of several who have expressed interest in providing capital for the ancillary project.

The Chargers are still considering Oceanside and downtown San Diego as potential locations for a new stadium. Fabiani said that although it was difficult to rank the three cities, the enthusiam among city and local leaders in Escondido is a plus.

He also said the team will discuss the proposal with a couple of other developers while waiting for the first company's response.

2. CasualKnowledge

CasualKnowledge BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    Escondido in September? No thanks, it gets hot enough at the Q. Escondido would be unbearable with almost no breeze.

3. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    This is quite correct. That spot especially I think will have almost zero airflow in September as I think it has a hill on the coast side of the lot.

I bet the downtown options will kick back in harder though if this Escondido thing progresses well.

Too bad the Marines won't give up Miramar. Then the stadium could gone on the Lindbergh field site.

4. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    If this place is where I think it is, then it would be just west of Palomar Medical Center. The Medical Center could provide medical aide to over drunken Tailgaters and other injuries. It is just right off the I15 as well.

Like with Casualknowledge it would be kind of hot but only in August and a little bit in September. The Chargers would be wearing a lot more of their Road Whites at the stadium.

My HUGE question would be Tailgating and where they would put it?

5. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    This is 2 different locations. Miramar would be just the same as the Escondido site. You might be thinking the Marine Recruit Depot which is north of the Lindbergh Field.

But thinking about closing airports then why not close down another hot place and that place is Gillespie Field. It would be linked to the I8, 52, 125 and 67. There is the now not used land of Cajon Speedway which is not in use to include that as well.

ADDED EDIT: Syd if you are in contact with Fabiani The Old Cajon Speedway might be the way to go or if there is another way even just a little bit north East is the Santee Drive-In even though it is still in use as both a Drive_In and Swap Meet an Imminent Domain thing could do something there.

6. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Heh .. The El Cajon Chargers .. there is a novel concept. The Chargers would need to get a lot of County dollars to pull off that site although I do like the idea of the site.

I'm guessing he meant he was hoping that the Marines would give up Miramar so that the airport can be relocated there .. That way freeing up the Lindbergh site for development.

7. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Now I am confused. :icon_huh: Do you guys mean the Naval Air Station North Island which is very close to Lindbergh Field?

The Marine Corp Air Station Miramar is not even close to Lindbergh Field.

8. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Escondido is the last place on Earth the Chargers need to be building a Super Bowl Stadium.

9. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,806
    There was talk of Miramar closing and the Airport being relocated there (away from Lindberg field) since there is plenty of room for expansion at the Miramar site as opposed to where Lindberg field is currently located.

10. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    Isn't that what I said? .. :icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

:icon_toast:

11. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Bap me upside the head. :slap: Now I got you guys. Lindbergh was going to move where Mairamar is and the Stadium would be built at the now Lindbergh site.

Sometimes my thick skull and Very thick Cobwebs after that gets in the way of my brain absorbing knowledge.
    :icon_tease:
    Thank you all very much for my education on this. :icon_toast:

12. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352
    beats the heck out of the City of Industry or San Antonio - No?

13. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    ok, last place in San Diego

14. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    :icon_toast:

15. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352
    I hear ya...

16. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I still think it will get built on the Qualcomm site.

17. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Who cares. Maybe they will consider building a retractable dome. As long as they stay in San Diego County, I'm happy.

18. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    If I'm not mistaken the Cajon Speedway land can not be developed for commercial use as it is grandfathered in as city charter for family recreation only. Or something like that.

19. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    The City council is trying to invest monies to build 3 Industrial complexes for Gillespie Field for the Air Craft as a Parts Center of sorts and with one as a Museum of Air Craft but the hang up is Residents across the 67 of El Cajon, Santee and Lakeside.

With what the Residents want is something that will produce Vistorship and Monies coming into that site like the Speedway did.

There is something else planed as well and that is a Very large Park or theme oriented thing like a Water park or Mini Putt Putt Golf Course.

There even is a thought of an expansion of the Christmas Tree farm that is across the 67 as well.

The final one and the one that everyone does not want is a big parking lot that will have a Park and Ride Lot for Commuters.

20. SDKCFAN

SDKCFAN BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Better than the City of Industry in LA!

21. CasualKnowledge

CasualKnowledge BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    Someone in another thread mentioned that they can't, something about a toxic cesspool. I can't find any articles about that though, so not sure how true it is. I wish they'd build in the same spot too, but it sounds like they want to do the petco thing and attach condos or a hotel, and the qualcomm site can't accommodate that.

22. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    fixed :icon_toast:

23. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    my brains is broken today

24. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    the new stadium needs to be built in the city of San Diego.

El Cajon/Santee/Escondido are not viable options.

It needs to be along the coast or close to it.

GET IT DONE SAN DIEGO!!!!!

25. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Not gonna happen. The city has proven it doesn't want to help.

Right now, the focus is keeping the Chargers in the county. If the Escondido site does that, fine by me.

26. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    no

someone hijack SD city council and make it happen

:icon_evil:

27. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Heat, Sun, Rain, ******, Piss stains, wind, no wind, what have you...

ESCONDIDO > LA or any other non SD County Location!

28. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    WORD!!!

29. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    At least they stay within the San Diego County limits. There are a lot of us who will not support them if they move outside the San Diego County.

30. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    The city of San Diego has no money and no "politcal will" to build a stadium at Qualcomm...or anywhere else in the city limits. I believe the toxic problem at the current site is seepage from the fuel tank farm about a half a mile away. Very expensive to clean up even if they could get the permits.

Admittedly, Escondido could be mistaken for a skillet into October but it is still in the county. (and 10 minutes closer for me!) I would hate to see the Chargers driving away in moving vans because the San Diego politicians are paralyzed by stupidity.

Build it in the county...we will show up!