1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

ESPN: Addae packs punch for Chargers' defense

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,173
    http://espn.go.com/blog/san-diego-chargers/post/_/id/2770/addae-packs-punch-for-chargers-defense

By Eric D. Williams | ESPN.com

SAN DIEGO -- Similar to the team's improved performance defensively, San Diego Chargers rookie safety Jahleel Addae's play has ascended during the second half of the season.

Chargers defensive coordinator John Pagano said he took a liking to the undrafted rookie free agent safety out of Central Michigan shortly after the team brought him in after the draft in April while watching him in the team’s offseason program.

“It’s probably one of the best examples that we have, from where he came from during training camp to now,” Pagano said. “The more reps you get, the more trust there is between players and being able to make those calls and being able to line up next to each other. That has been a key for him. He is a young player that is growing, that we are very excited about.”

At 5-foot-10 and 195 pounds, Addae was mostly a special teams player during the first half of the season. But as Addae became more comfortable with the defense, Pagano began using him more as a fifth or sixth defensive back in passing situations.

“Obviously, being undrafted was motivation,” Addae said. “Everybody feels like they should be drafted. So that was another chip on my shoulder that I came in here with. And just the love of the game -- I’ve got my God-given ability, and I just try and show that every time I go out there.”

Addae played 53 snaps two weeks ago in a win over pass-happy Denver, as the Chargers played with five defensive backs most of the contest. And against Oakland last week, Addae logged 36 snaps.

Addae has 36 tackles and a sack in part-time duty. More than anything, Pagano said Addae brings a physical presence, energy and emotion to the defense.

“He is instinctive,” Pagano said. “He has that football awareness to be able to go make those football plays. It’s about taking the proper angles. It’s about the correct fit and the right leverage. When you see a player do those things and do them at a fast rate, they really show.”

Added Addae: “They have trust in me. And they give me opportunities to show what I can do and make plays. And I’m just trying to take advantage of it.”

Addae initially attend Central Michigan to play on offense, but after the defensive coaching staff watched him pancake a linebacker on a running play, he switched to defense.

Addae says playing safety runs in his blood. His older brother Jahmile Addae was a four-year starter and two-time captain for Rich Rodriguez at West Virginia. The older Addae was a finalist for the 2005 Ronnie Lott Trophy and was named to the watch list for the Jim Thorpe Award that same season.

Jahmile Addae signed a free agent contract with his hometown Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and spent the end of the season with Indianapolis, but injuries cut short his NFL career. He now works as a defensive graduate assistant at the University of Michigan.

“I always feel like I’m playing for him,” Addae said. “I’m playing for him, my family, those who helped me, and those who supported me. It’s much bigger than me.”

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    TT picked this guy out of the UDFA group as a guy he was excited about. Pretty amazing that, being undrafted, he's managed to be a pretty decent DB while playing more than a third of the snaps on defense. Good get.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    His college tape should've been good enough to get him drafted. It's impressive.

But it was a safety heavy draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,124
    I met this guy at one of the training camps this past summer. He was very personable, humble. I got him to sign a football. When I asked him if he liked hitting people, his answer was an emphatic "Yes, definitely!"

5. AusCharged

AusCharged BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Nice, it's good to have good guys like that on the team. So if he's playing at such a level and contributing so well, does that mean we can drop the SS search for the off-season?

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    I liked this kid early on and was calling for him to get reps. He brings his A game every play and has a very powerful and fast burst and hits like a ton of bricks. Heck even Wright has been playing damn good the second half and hated to see him come up lame in the last game. I do believe there are some good makins on this team.

7. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    I think his emergence and the development of Gilchrist is enough to hold steady for an offseason. I say that mostly because this is a pretty bad safety class. Hopefully Taylor has a quicker recovery this time around and can join the mix in training camp.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    It'll be interesting to see what happens next year but I'd feel confident bringing Addae back and letting him play more at SS. If we are keeping Taylor (and bluntly I don't see why we wouldn't given price and whatnot) I'd let Addae and Taylor battle it out. Gilchrist has done well but he's more of a nickel corner and I think would be better over there.

9. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    Addae is pretty much Bigby but with better technique and coverage skills. Which is saying something for a rookie. He's not great in coverage, but he has improved. He's going through the growing pains of a rookie. So I hope to see an improvement next year.

With Stuckey finally turning the corner on D, and also being the best ST's player, I think he'll be re-signed and Taylor will have to compete at safety. I think Gilchrist will be moved back to CB if we re-sign Stuckey and Taylor recovers well.

I would love to have TJ Ward, but he doesn't contribute on ST's, so we would lose Stuckey or possibly Taylor.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    I really can't see them moving Gilly back to corner with how much better he's been at safety. But resigning Stuckey ought to be at the top of the list. I still have nightmares about our special teams in 2010.

11. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Sorry to interrupt here, Jesse, but we've received a complaint
    about your obvious attempt to take the Christ out of Gilchrist…
    this "War on Gilchrist" has not escaped the attention of Miss Gretchen
    War on Gilchrist.png

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    Ha! Nice.

You know what's funnier? The first letter of "Christ" in Greek is "chi," which corresponds to our letter "X." People started writing "Xmas" to abbreviate the word Christ, not to take it out.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    And that ain't no coincidence!!!!!