1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

ESPN Article about LT & AJ online:

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by mandude, Sep 5, 2007.

1. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3004135

I know it was discussed here before, but I couldn't find the link to the actual article.

To be honest, LT wouldn't have let these quotes go out or have been apart of this story if he didn't at least agree with some of this. And he definitely wouldn't have been on the cover if he was pissed off by the article.

I was most concerned when he said he lost his drive in back in July.

The intesity of this team doesn't seem to be what was last year, maybe I am just getting perseason jitters, but I really hope the players are not becoming disheartened. It's a long road.

2. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Good lookin out, thanks for posting that.

3. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    This is the first time I've seen that article. It's also the best article at explaining what happened between AJ and Marty. I love LT, but I think he's correct by focusing only on his job, which is to help the team win on the field, and not worry about AJ.

As I read all the 'negative' stuff about AJ, I just became more and more happy that we have a great, GREAT GM. He may be a bastard to deal with and be around, but I don't give a crap about that. All I care about is that he gets the best players lined up to play. And that he has done. Better than any other GM over the same period of time.

Whoever that GM was that was whining about him being difficult, who is he and what is HIS record over the same period of time? AJ may be an a-hole to deal with, but I'm only concerned about his record. And that is A1.

LT needs to mature a bit and realize that friends get traded, coaches get fired, stuff happens. Deal with it and come out playing as hard as you can. I think I trust AJ now. If this season turns out to be our super bowl season, then AJ should be recognized as either being one lucky guy or being one of the best GMs in NFL history. To build this team from 1-15 to where it is today in such a short time, with no real big free agent signings, is a minor miracle at least.

I hope, for Norv's sake, for the player's sake, for AJ's sake and especially for LT's sake, that the bolts win the super bowl. They all deserve that. I know it doesn't seem to happen very often, but I hope that life is fair for us and them this year.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Nice article. I can completely understand LT's frustrations, I think they are the same frustrations all of us who watch him play have been voiceing for the last few years. The Brees thing. Marty. Norv. Eli. It's all old news for us in Chargerland.

About AJ: I could give 2 shits for a bunch of agents whining that AJ is difficult. F'n agents. Babies only trying to cash in on someone else's talents. Most, if not all, agents are scum IMO. Good for AJ for telling them to go F themselves. I respect the hell out of AJ for one thing: He stands behind his beliefs and his word is bond.

He's gonna get us there, I have no doubt.

5. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195

Thank you for this interesting story. But most of it seems to be
    journalistic made. LT ist the good guy, naive staying to his friends
    and want to have a stable not changing team. On the other side
    the "bully" GM who does what has to be done and creates with hard
    voices (dealing with Gates- I remember) a SB bound team.
    This all is nonsense.
    I think LT is businessman enough to know football is a shark's game.
    Of course he likes to have comrades at his side, but didn't we and AJ
    stay to this team. AJ made long term contracts with most of the pro bowlers, so what. I think AJ knows that a GM has to make hard and
    risky cuts and I prefered Rivers from the first moment. I Like Edwards
    but it was time to get apart, because of money (salary cup) and
    bring the real defense people Merriman, Phillips, Williams on top.

It will be a hard season, because Super Bowl or bust will be the theme. But when Norv Turner gets some little tricky surprising plays,
    some + 14 wins and a post season with some wins, all S.D.C. backers
    will have no regrets. At least winning the Lombardi is a lucky gambling under free sky.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    that's the pot calling the kettle black there Leisure

three letters: B-M-W

LT's response, I can understand as being 'human' in being loyal to his friend (brees) and the coach he was obviously close to (Marty). THe problem is things don't always work out like that, you need to change to improve parts of your team - this is what AJ understands

7. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    This is all journalistic spin. Sure, LT might’ve been upset when Drew was let go. But then we ended up kicking *** and going 14-2. And if LT was bummed about Marty leaving, it is very clear that he likes what Norv brings to the table offensively.

The reporter focuses way too much on LT's immediate reaction to those moves, in an effort to create conflict where there isn't any.

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    AJ's job is to build a team, LT's job is to play the game. Both have done exceedingly well at their respective job's. If LT is biotching behind the scene's, and blowing hot air up our *** then he is living a lie. I don't see LT as that kind of a man.

Management isn't supposed to be your best friend, AJ has to make tough decisions so separation is his only ally. I highly doubt AJ has been blowing smoke up LT's *** and is trying to win a ring. Not only for himself but the organization and his best friend JB. If not then he is lying and I don't see that happening either.:bolt:

9. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    no, no, it is 4 letters. That's Y-U-G-O

10. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Great post Ray. AJ may be an azz but his job is to get the best talent he can on the field and he's done a magnificent job of it. I'm with AJ also in that Marty couldn't get it done in the playoffs and had to go. Should have gone after the Jets loss in 04 but oh well. I also thought AJ's move to go with Rivers over Brees would be the right one too. I know many of you here didn't care for that move, but I saw it from AJ's perspective. Rivers is just going to get better too under Norv. A good buddy told me this about AJ he read from an article on him last year. AJ had heard though some reliable sources that the reason Sheli and Daddy didn't want him to go to the Chargers in 04 was because they thought AJ was just a "scout" and not a real GM. Imagine that. If I was AJ that would be all the incentive I need to win a Super Bowl. There are a LOT of reasons we need to win one. LT is just one. AJ to validate his GM talent and Norv for finally proving he can win the big one as HC. There are many others but those 3 are good enough. Here's to hoisting the Lombardi in Feb 2008!