1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

ESPN brings up standard "Ghost of Drafts Past" for the Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Apr 9, 2008.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
  2. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I hate rehashing Ryan Leaf every year around this time.

3. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Philip Rivers and this Chargers team (even the Schottenheimer teams) have made Leaf nothing but a bad memory for me that continues to fade with each win. :bolt:

4. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    Personally, I don't mind, the guy was a total a-hole and his name always deserves to be mud, I like you guys don't care its associated with the Chargers and gives us a bad name, but were it not for this jerk, Leaf, the Chargers would not have gotten a chance to draft LT the anti-Leaf.

What if Leaf had been a BUST and Mediocre, titilating the Chargers and us fans with flashes of talent from time to time, heck he could have guided the Chargers to maybe one winning season he might still be QB'ing the team as far as five or six seasons total, that would put him at being cut or traded in 2003 or 2004.

In the real world he was who he was, and we suffered and were "Reborn" as a franchise, It just goes to prove that the biggest bust in NFL history could not destroy the Chargers [tunrning a negative into a positive] and in fact he had a hand in making the Chargers a stronger, more talented and now dominating franchise.

To hell with Leaf, but w/o his lousy play we would not be looking at the greatest RB in the history of the NFL play his career in SD! :flag:

Stan :rivers17:

5. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I have to admit that all the recent success the Chargers have enjoyed recently has made it easier to swallow the Leaf Pill.

With that said, I don't think I ever had that hatred towards him as most people do. The guy was and I think probably still is immature. But it's not like everyone except the Bolts knew that. Everyone drank from the same Leaf kool-aid cup during that time.

Let that guy live his life I say. I think that any hate I generate is really minuscule compared to the fact that he can't walk around anywhere and not be noticed as the biggers failure in NFL history. I think that's punishment enough for what ever he did to our organization. Even though we all know he had a hand in the redirection of the bolts franchise.

I think of the Leaf era a lot when I hear people talking bad about some of the players on the roster. Or how we don't get any national respect. I kind of chuckle because I remember the days when Seau was the only player known nationaly from the bolts. I can only imagine how bad this team would be if Merriman was the only visible player on the squad.

6. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I'm past Leaf as well, but not past Beathard. He got way too arrogant and convinced of his own infallibility. We paid the price for years. He not messed up the draft, he screwed up with coaches as well.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I haven't because both leaf and beathard were responsible for destroying my early years as a charger fan and making it hell. I've been abused by those two

8. henryqjr2001

henryqjr2001 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Of course blame beathard for the Leaf fiasco, but where does he stand in the Bobby Ross situation?

9. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    Ryan who?:icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  10. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Interesting that the nfl network doesn't bring up who has had the best drafts in the last 4 to 5 years. Year after year. Odd.

• Like Like x 1