1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

ESPN cans Salisbury

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdbound, Feb 26, 2008.

1. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    It's about time!

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/02/26/sean-salisbury-leaves-espn/

"I want to thank ESPN for 12 great years of talking football on TV and the radio. I have grown as much as I can at ESPN and decided to expand my horizons. I have created a brand and it's time to expand into other opportunities in TV, radio, Internet, publishing, movies and public speaking, among others. My resume speaks for itself as a football analyst, and I believe I can talk all sports with the best of them."

Sure *******, sure. :icon_rofl:

2. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    :icon_banana::icon_banana::abq2::abq2::abq1::abq1::icon_banana::icon_banana:

3. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Faux awaits.

5. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    :icon_rofl:

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Good.

(not that I ever watch ESPN anymore)

*prays he doesn't find his way to NFL Network*

7. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    So the former Pro Bowl Quarterback (in his own mind) is gone!!! :lol:

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    wonder if I could get his job :yes:

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    LOL. You handled yourself really well in that Patsies smack session.
    GO FOR IT!!! :bolt:

11. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Oh... he's created a "brand" alright.

Problem is... those who can actually afford it won't pay for his brand of shitspew soda pop. :no:

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    And he slowly sinks to the bottom of the bowl - so long, *******!! :lol:

13. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Hey Sean,

Don't lket the front door hit you where the good lord split you.

:abq2::abq1::abq2:

14. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    :icon_rofl: :icon_party:

15. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    The first great news of the off-season.

16. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    I agree, please stay off my TV!

17. stone86

stone86 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +25
    HAHAHHAHAHAHHHHAHHAHAH.

18. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Good riddance :tup:

19. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Salisbury was always the guy on ESPN who I watched and thought "what the hell? How does a guy who was a career backup and was mediocre even in that role get a job as an 'expert' on ESPN?"

And the only reason he was even (barely) tolerable was that at least he had played in the NFL, unlike some of the so-called experts out there.

Somewhere along the line though he decided to prove how disconnected he was from his roots by dissing the Chargers every chance he got. So yeah, hasta la vista Sean. You have a face for radio anyway...

20. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

Dammit!!! I WAS JUST GONNA POST THIS SAME THING!!!!

21. zatoichi

zatoichi BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    Good riddance! He can now hang out with Michael Irvin, another stupid jock. Can you believe Salisbury was running around ESPN showing a picture of his dong to the ladies at the workplace? What a schmuck!

22. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    WOOOHOOO!! That pats ball washer is gone. He was such a band wagon knob polisher. Dude flip flop every chance he got.

So long you useless ****.

Now if the could just punt the Wingnut.

:abq2: :abq2: :abq2:

23. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...I think Emmitt Smith is even worse than Irvin. I realize that not everyone who went to college truly belonged there but have you ever heard anyone butcher the english language like this guy? He's even gone on correction tangents where he catches his mistake, corrects it with another error, goes back to the original mistake only to....well you know :lol: Don't the networks even screen these guys?
    He's also way too pro cowgirl which is supposedly an announcing taboo:no:

• Like Like x 1
  24. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Both Smith and Keyshawn Johnson were horrible, why ESPN felt the desire to put so many former players on their shows (NFL Live has Shawn King and James Hasty who are tolerable at best) is baffling. Sure there's a reason to put big star players on, but htey pick players that have no idea what they're doing, don't talk correctly, don't make cognitive opinions and blow their old team too much. At least Salisbury, for all his negatives, could make a straight statement and back it up, even if it was wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    From a Whitlock article.

3. Other than his needlessly combative and uncomfortable segments with John Clayton, I enjoyed Sean Salisbury on ESPN. I'm sorry to see him depart.

He said he left because the network didn't properly value his contribution because he was just a mediocre player during his playing days. There may be some truth in that. But Salisbury never tailored his persona to make clear that he represented the perspective of the rank-and-file professional athlete.

Most professional athletes are not big stars. Salisbury could've carved out a niche. Instead he blustered on air like he had Deion Sanders' resume. It didn't bother me, but it prevented Salisbury from carving out a brand with significant value.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May not have bothered you, but it always bothered me. He is a blowhard. :tdown:

• Like Like x 1
  26. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    The thing that's ironic is that most of the true football "experts" were not great players. Who do you think knows more about football... Deion Sanders or Bill Parcels? Emmit Smith or AJ Smith? Are there lots of superstar players who know more about the NFL than Schottenheimer, Belichik, Polian, Jimmy Johnson... the list goes on.

In many cases, the better a player was in his career the worse he is at "big picture" analysis, because superstar athletes often have no idea how it is that they do what they do. Can't teach it, can't really explain it, just do it.

What I'm getting at is that being a great player is vastly overrated when it comes to sports analysis.

But Salisbury's problem was that he would criticize great players with bravado and bluster without ever considering the fact that he, himself, was below average in all respects. It was like he had an inferiority complex and he tried to overcome it by being loud and proud, but instead he came off as shrill and overcompensating.

27. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Nice post and very much on target. If you look at the great coaches and analysts in any sport, most of them were mediocre at best as players. Their knowledge of the sport and ability to translate that to either their players or in the case of the media, to the fans...was due to the fact that they were truly STUDENTS of the game.
    I always loved Dan Fouts....as a player, an analyst and probably as a coach had he gone into coaching. He was articulate and his legacy as a player may have helped him land the job but he kept it because he was good at what he did. He did always sound a little anti-USC but other than that, he didn't suffer from the typical we should do this or we used to do that stroking of his old team. I think most of the ex niners and cowboys are the worse ones at that.

28. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    My sources are telling me he was released due to confrontations with Clayton like the one in this clip. Apparently these confrontations happened both on and off the air. Also, there is a rumor that Salisbury took a picture of his penis with his cell phone and showed it to several women. LINK

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zi7XtBv94pE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zi7XtBv94pE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

29. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942

ESPN suspended him for it.

30. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Isn't he a Mormon? Maybe he was just planting the seeds for a polygamist lifestyle. :icon_shrug: