1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

ESPN:Chargers 1st Round Picks Grade

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltmanbz, Apr 24, 2008.

1. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2006
    San Diego Chargers

The Chargers have one of the most stacked rosters in the league right now because they draft well and make their first-round picks count in a big way. Not only do they make smart picks, but they have also done a tremendous job of making trades and getting excellent value. Remember, QB Drew Brees was not a first-rounder, but as an early second-round selection he is worth mentioning with this outstanding group of early selections. Few do it as well as San Diego.

San Diego Chargers
    Year Player Pick Verdict Bottom Line
    2007 Craig Davis, WR, LSU 30 The overall consensus is that Davis is still a little rough around the edges. He needs to improve his feel for the system and learn to run better routes at this level.

2006 Antonio Cromartie, CB, Florida State 19 Cromartie was a very risky draft choice due to a major knee injury, but the pick has paid huge dividends. He is a supreme playmaker, who is already among the best corners in the NFL.

2005 Shawne Merriman, LB, Maryland 12 Merriman is a dynamic player who must be accounted for on every down. He is one of the most dominating pass-rushers in the NFL.

2005 Luis Castillo, DT, Northwestern 28 He is a talented young player who continues to play at a high level, when healthy. Castillo has good size, quickness and can be dominant at times in a small area.

2004 Philip Rivers, QB, North Carolina St. 4 He was originally drafted by the Giants and then was part of a draft-day trade. He has led the Chargers to the playoffs during both seasons since taking over for Drew Brees.

2003 Sammy Davis, CB, Texas A&M 30 Given his first-round status, most would say he hasn't lived up to the hype. Davis has the size and some of the tools to develop into a starter, but he is with his third club in five years.

2002 Quentin Jammer, CB, Texas 5 Jammer has played with a lot of consistency over the past few seasons. Even though he has not developed into a shutdown corner in our eyes, he is still a solid player with frontline ability.

2001 LaDainian Tomlinson, RB, TCU 5 Tomlinson is the best running back in the league and has been for some time. He is that rare player who doesn't have an obvious weakness and is destined for the Hall of Fame.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Jan 19, 2006
    why they thought PR was just so-so is beyond me
  3. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Jan 7, 2008
    So much for the "we always pick or have picked in the Top 10 for years" so that's why our roster is so talented - excuse from fans of other teams!

The one that irks me is the Sammy Davis pick [we had the 15th that year] which we traded to Philly so they could draft Jerome McDougle, I think that's who they selected, and we got two 2nds which became Kiel and Florence, right after mcDougle the Steelers selected Troy Polamalu. Hopefully I got the fact straight if not set me straight. But I think I'm pretty right on with the gist of the story us mising on a chance to draft Polamalu.

Somehow I feel AJ has an aversion to draft USC players, so it's possible he may not have drafted Polamalu if we had stayed there anyway.

Stan :rivers17: