1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

ESPN Chat Transcript with Shawne Merriman

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    ESPN

Welcome to The Show! On Monday, San Diego Chargers LB Shawne Merriman will stop by to chat.

Last season, Merriman had 12 sacks, finishing sixth in the league. He helped lead the Chargers to the AFC title game, before losing to the New England Patriots.

In just three seasons in the NFL, Merriman has established himself as one of the premier pass rushers in the league. In his rookie year, 2005, he recorded 10 sacks. The next season, just his second in the league, he posted 17 sacks to lead the league. He finished third in the NFL defensive player of the year voting.

Buzzmaster: Shawne will be here soon, everyone!

Shawne Merriman: Hey everybody, thanks for chatting with me today.

Jordan (Slinger, WI): You guys began 2007 with 1 win and 3 losses. How did you guys overcome the critisism?

Shawne Merriman: By winning games. We went 5-5 after that start, and that was the turning point of our season. We ended up getting where we wanted to go.

Tom (New Jersey): Vernon Gholston is being touted as the next Shawn Merriman. How does it feel to become the measuring stick that incoming rookie LBs will be compared against?

Shawne Merriman: It's an honor for me. They compared me to Lawrence Taylor when I came up. For someone to be compared to be is an honor.

Aaron (Mesa,Az): Hey Shawne, what personal goals have you set for your self for the upcoming season if you have any thus far

Shawne Merriman: To have a better start and a stronger finish, and to get a ring this year.

Chris (Los Angeles, CA): Hey Shawne, what do you do to get pumped up before each game?

Shawne Merriman: I go over the same routine--I listen to a lot of loud music. I listen to fast, up-tempo music to get me pumped.

Charlie (Annapolis): Hi Shawne. As a Maryland alumnus, I've been rooting for you since you hit the NFL. Do you get to make it back to College Park much, and what are your thoughts on Coach Friedgen?

Shawne Merriman: I actually just joined a Terrapin Club, and I think Friedgen is a great coach, but he needs to keep talent in the area.

Matt (Boston): Who is the top team you will be shooting for in the AFC, is it the Pats, colts, or do you guys consider yourself the top team?

Shawne Merriman: I consider us the top team coming into this year, but it's always going to be a great rivalry against the Patriots and Colts.

Will (Bensalem, Pa): Shawne, do you prefer linebacker or would you like to play more with your hand on the ground?

Shawne Merriman: I like to play linebacker. It gives me a chance to run around and not be so one-dimensional.

Courtney (Ohio): Hi, Shawne. Two questions: did you watch the Super Bowl, and if so, who were you rooting for to win? thanks!

Shawne Merriman: No, I didn't watch the Super Bowl, but I was rooting for the best team to win. I didn't have any favorites.

Sam (Chicago): Who talks the most trash of the opposing players you have faced?

Shawne Merriman: Probably Brandon Marshall from Denver.

Bruce (CT): Whos your favorite offensive player to go against?

Shawne Merriman: Larry Johnson. He runs the ball hard and he plays with a lot of attitude, so I like to see him.

Brad (Gadsden,Al): What is your fav. thing to do in the free time?

Shawne Merriman: Since I don't have that much free time, I like to just rest and play video games.

Matt (Boston): Shawne, it is tough, being a pats fan, and watching you blow by Matt Light every game, but I respect you for it. Who is the toughest OT you have to go against?

Shawne Merriman: Chad Clifton from Green Bay. He had great technique and he was huge.

Ryan (San Diego): Do you guys feel more confident about playing the Colts? The defense always seems to give Manning fits

Shawne Merriman: I think it's a great matchup whenever we play them. That's why we can do what we're capable of doing. Their greatest strength on offense is our greatest strength on defense.

Ryan (San Diego): Shawne have you had the planned offseason surgery yet? If so, how is the rehab going?

Shawne Merriman: I'm gettin a miniscus scope, and the rehab time for that is about a week or two.

John (Bethlaham Park): Shawne, Who was your favorite player growing up? Also, who was your favorite team?

Shawne Merriman: I grew up as a Redskins fan in D.C., and my favorite player was Lawrence Taylor.

Brian (Virginia): The only weakness of the Chargers D last season seemed to be stopping the run. Since Jamal is a huge part of that, will he be healthy for next season or will this be a need in the draft or free agency?

Shawne Merriman: We only had a few games where we had problems stopping the run, really. If he's healthy, he's going to help us out a lot.

Alex (Baltimore, Maryland): For the upcoming 2008 Nfl season, which AFC West team do you fear the most?

Shawne Merriman: I actually think it's going to be the Raiders. I think they're going to be a lot better than they were last year.

Mikey (Lackawanna, NY): Shawne, Whats it like playing for GM AJ Smith?

Shawne Merriman: We don't talk that much, but just having him around is a good chance fo us to learn a lot. He's been around a long time.

Sam (Chicago): What do you tell other players who try to mock your 'lights out' dance?

Shawne Merriman: That they need to learn how to do it correctly before they do it.

Anthony (Suffolk,VA): Shawne, you got to play against Brett Favre last year in what will now go down as his last year in the NFL. What was it like playing against what many people consider the best QB of all time?

Shawne Merriman: It was great getting a chance to play him, but it was even better when he complimented me after the game. He told me I was a great player.

Kevin (Baltimore): Hey Shawne, how do you like living in Southern California? Is it paradise or what?

Shawne Merriman: I love it. It's probably one of the nicest places to live in in the States. But it's nothing compared to home.

John (Buffalo,NY): Shawne, do you have one play that sticks out the most so far in your career?

Shawne Merriman: My rookie year, we were playing the Jets. They had caught a long pass, and I ran the guy down from 20 yards away. We stopped Curtis Martin on the very next play and forced them to give up the ball.

Mike (Colonie, NY): Shawne, Your thoughts on playing games overseas like in London and that?

Shawne Merriman: I think it's a great exposure for the team and the NFL. Anything to make the sport bigger is good.

David (NY, NY): Big fan Shawne. Would you ever go on Dancing with the Stars?

Shawne Merriman: No, absolutely not. I'm a linebacker, I'll stick to that.

Nick (Iowa City): B/c you went up against him, how good is adrian peterson? is he the best player you've ever faced?

Shawne Merriman: I think he has a chance to be one of the best in the league, but only time will tell.

Matt (Boston): The best athlete there is right now could be Antonio Cromartie, do you agree?

Shawne Merriman: I think he's probably one of the most physical freaks around in the league. I've been around a lot of them, but I think he's the best.

Majeed: What should the Chargers look for in the draft? Backup RB should be high on the list.

Shawne Merriman: I think offensive line could be a need. We have a few guys getting up there in age. I'd like to get a running back out of free agency.

Matt (Boston): Shawne, who is the toughest QB to get down?

Shawne Merriman: Probably Tom Brady because he gets rid of the ball so fast. You don't get a chance to hit him.

Jason (Vista, Ca): Hey Shawne, I know you do alot of charity work in the San Diego area with the Alpha Project and other organizations. How does it feel to know now that you can give back to the community?

Shawne Merriman: It's a great feeling. You always look to be in a position to give back to others, and I'm able to do that.

Adam (Columbus,OH): March Madness is upon us. How much attention do you pay to other sports? Also saw you talking to Kyle Busch last week, must of rubbed some good luck off on him for that win, eh?

Shawne Merriman: The same thing could be said for him. I don't know, maybe you'll see me in NASCAR sometime soon.

Travis (Dallas, Tx): Shawne, you and DeMarcus Ware came into the league together and have both been top linebackers since. What do you think of his game?

Shawne Merriman: I think he's an excellent player. I think he's a great guy as well.

Rick (Houston, Tx): Which road crowd is the loudest?

Shawne Merriman: Probably Seattle. They're the loudest I've played in because they have extra microphones and speakers that make the crowd sound louder.

Anthony (NYC): Shawne which team when you look across the line of scrimmage gets your blood boiling, that makes you want to go all out and wreck shop?

Shawne Merriman: I would say all, but probably the Patriots because it's such a heated rivalry every year.

Brian (Seattle): Sorry Shawne, I need to ask your opinion on the block you took form 5' nothing Jones-Drew?

Shawne Merriman: It was a good hit! I didn't see him. Normally I expect to be cut-blocked from running backs, but he got in a good shot at me.

Ryan (San Diego): A lot was made in SD about the lack of aggressive playcalling early in the year. Did you sense you were in coverage more than previous years?

Shawne Merriman: I think we were a little bit more relaxed early in the year. We needed to get back to our bread and butter, which we did later on.

Kameron Firouzi (Moses Lake, WA): Do you think people are gunning for Phillip next year because of all the trash talking he does?

Shawne Merriman: He is a talker, but he doesn't say negative things. That's the way he's been since I've known him.

Anthony (NYC): Shawne which NFL player do you like to watch play?

Shawne Merriman: I like guys who always entertain us, like the Ray Lewises, Dick Butkuses, Jack Lamberts, guys who play the game recklessly.

Shawne Merriman: Thanks for coming to chat with me today, and hopefully I'll be answering questions again soon!

LINK

2. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Pretty decent chat session....But this was my favorite answer throughout the Q&A......GO BOLTS!!!!!:tup:

3. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984

That's almost like asking him who the tallest midget is.

4. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Good **** Thumper!! :icon_toast:

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Thanks, Thumper!! :tup: