1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

ESPN: doc says Everett has involuntary movement...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BFISA, Sep 11, 2007.

1. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    ...in his extremeties. They interview a doc involved with a program devoted to spinal cord injuries who said Everette's doc called him with the news.

No links yet, but if true, this is great news!!

2. Boltsessive

Boltsessive Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7213932

That's Voluntary movement! Better than involuntary!

3. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I'm a praying for the kid.

4. AthensPhilipRiversFan

AthensPhilipRiversFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +331
    this is great news. this young man has been in my thoughts.

5. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
  6. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  7. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    They were talking about using some new procedure, something about using something that was cold, and it was injected into him. I was unable to hear the whole segment.

• Like Like x 1
  8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I sure hope this is true. I know I have prayed for this kid and wish him and his family all the best.

9. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    • Like Like x 1
  10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I wonder if it was stem cells or something like that

there had been talk in the medical community about injecting a patient with brain/spinal cord injuries immediately with them to help repair and recover the lost movement and then sedate the body so that, in a sense, it doesn't realize it loss what it did.

11. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    To the best of my understanding, he had an IV Infusion of an ice cold solution (on the field) to put his body in a state of hypothermia and thus decrease the swelling to his spinal column.

If Everett does indeed walk again, he might want to credit to Cappucino who was on hand to witness the accident and act immediately to do what he could to save the kid's neuro function.

12. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Dr. Cappucino is a phukking assssholle and a ********.

I am tired of hearing how these doctors are telling their patients and the media that the prognosis is bleak and then a miracle occurs. Maybe he should have kept his mouth shut for a few hours instead - ya think?

I suspect it is more along the lines of doctors wanting to make themselves look good to line their pockets. Fuc him.

13. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    CARRIE!!!!

14. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    :rolleyes: :icon_rofl:

15. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Seriously. Why is it we let these assswipes get away with this ****?

Carson Palmer was never suppose to walk again but lo-and-behold, the doctor pulled a rabbit out of his asssss. At one point I think someone mentioned amputation but here comes johnny doctor to the rescue - fuc him and his fake superman's cape routine.

16. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Carson Palmer blew his ACL and MCL and was never supposed walk again?

I must have missed that one. Everything that you are crying about is brought on by the media trying to get the scoop before the other guys. The Doctors do what they have to and never build up false hope.

This is great news, I am STOKED for his family.

17. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Bullshit.

On Monday, Bills orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Andrew Cappuccino, said Everett likely wouldn't walk again.

It is not in quotes but this comment leaves little room for "maybe's"

This is irresponsible and effing bullshiit. Yeah it is great the kid is going to recover but to make comments to the effect that it is likely Everett wouldn't walk again .... I call bullshiit. The same with Carson Palmer because the doctor quickly recanted what he initially said about Palmers knee injury.

It would have been entirely acceptable to withold such a definitive statement for at least a day or two until the trama had been thoroughly evaluated. This did not happen and was uncalled for to place a patient in a position where he is now stressing out because "Dr. AHOLE come look at me" jumped the gun.

• Like Like x 1
  18. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172

19. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172

20. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    POSTED 9:18 a.m. EDT, September 12, 2007

EVERETT TO WALK AGAIN

It's great news, without a doubt. Bills tight end Kevin Everett is expected to walk again.

The news is even more miraculous in light of statements from Monday suggesting that Everett would never walk again.

Haven't we seen this before? Didn't a doctor named Lonnie Paulos try to claim that Carson Palmer's January 2006 knee injury was far worse than it really was, with the apparent purpose of making folks conclude that it was the efforts of Dr. Paulos that cured a "devastating and potentially career-ending" condition?

In Everett's case, there's a belief in some circles that Dr. Andrew Cappucino (which sounds like the name of the next phony doctor on The Simpsons, given that Nick Riveira died in the movie) was pulling a Paulos, and that Everett's condition was not as dire as it was described to the public on Monday.

Or as it was described to Everett on Sunday.

"I told Kevin that the chances for a full neurologic recovery were bleak, dismal," Cappuccino said on Monday. "I was honest with him, and he told me, 'Do everything you can to help me.'"

Don't get us wrong. We're very happy to hear that Everett will walk out of the hospital. The only thing that bothers us is the possibility that one of the folks who cared for him might be attempting to overly dramatize the situation in order to make future patients conclude that he's a better doctor than perhaps he really is.

21. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    They injected a very cold saline solution into his body, to induce a hypothermic state around the spinal chord and the damaged nerve tissue, then induced a coma. It was the equivalent of packing swollent tissue with ice. It's a new and risky proceedure, but it apparently works if the patient is under medical care quickly enough, and the docs who were involved with the research were in attendance at the game. It's like people submerged in near freezing water. They survive after being rescued from longer emersions than warmer water. They then bring the body temperature up gradually as they bring the patient slowly out of anesthesia.

22. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    So glad t hear how well he's doing. medical science is awsesome!

23. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    He has a long way to go but making some progress

Bills tight end Everett slightly moved 3 fingers on right hand
    By JOHN WAWROW, AP Sports Writer
    September 14, 2007
    Yahoo Sports

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) -- Kevin Everett has slightly moved three fingers on his right hand, potentially another positive sign in his recovery from a life-threatening spinal-cord injury, a person close to the family told The Associated Press on Friday.

The Buffalo tight end voluntarily moved his fingers Thursday night "more than a little bit but not with great force," said the person who requested anonymity because of the sensitive nature of Everett's status. "There was slight movement."

Dr. Barth Green of the Miami Project also told The Miami Herald on Friday that Everett showed movement in his fingers early Friday morning. Green said he spoke on the phone with Bills orthopedic surgeon Andrew Cappuccino, who updated him.

On Wednesday, doctors said Everett could wiggle his toes, bend his hip, move his ankles, elevate and kick his leg, as well as extend his elbows and slightly flex his biceps. But he had not been able to move his hands.

Bills spokesman Scott Berchtold didn't immediately return messages left by the AP. Officials at Millard Fillmore Gates Hospital have deferred all updates to the Bills.

Everett was hurt Sunday after ducking his head while tackling Denver's Domenik Hixon during the second-half kickoff in the season opener. The Buffalo player dropped face-first after his helmet hit Hixon high on the left shoulder and side of the helmet.

When Everett arrived at the hospital Sunday, he was paralyzed below his neck. Since then, he has shown signs of improvement and was taken off a respirator Wednesday.

24. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    :icon_eek:
    :icon_eek:

Hate docs much? Someone's must have had a proctology visit go awry.

25. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Love me some NPR:tup: I should switch over from the spportstalk more often