1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

ESPN Insider Titans-Chargers Take Two

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdchrger, Sep 15, 2006.

1. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    They give the edge to the Bolts in all categories except Coaching :icon_rofl:

Gotta be an "Insider" like me and leisure to view this page:
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/take2?gameId=260917024

There will be a lot of clamoring this week for QB Vince Young to get the starting nod over veteran Kerry Collins but don't expect that to happen. In talking with people in their organization, they will bring Young along slowly as they did with Steve McNair when he was a rookie with the Titans. Games like this weekend are they type of situations they are trying to keep Young out of. This is a road game against a team with an excellent front seven that can give any QB multiple looks and cause confusion. Barring injury, Young's roll will be exactly what it was last week and that is a backup who should come in and see just a series or two.

• If the Titans can find a way to get protection this week up front, Collins will have a chance to make some plays in the passing game. For the first time in a long time, the Titans have a solid receiving core. Drew Bennett was back to form this past week catching eight balls for 106 yards. Bobby Wade had five receptions for 76 yards and made some great plays after the catch. David Givens who is just getting healthy, did not make a lot of plays last week, but is a guy that can step up and play well. Look for Tennessee to try to spread San Diego out this week. They would like to spread them out and throw quickly off 3-step drops to negate the Chargers pass rush. Look for Wade to get a favorable match-up in the slot vs. Drayton Florence when the Chargers go to their sub-packages. Wade is a quick receiver who can take a short throw and make a big play.

• Chargers QB Philip Rivers was really a non-factor in his debut last week. "Marty Ball" is alive and well in Southern California. Their philosophy at least last week was to get the lead and then sit on the ball as Rivers only attempted 11 passes. Look for them to open it up a little more this week. This Titans gave up over 300 yards through the air in their loss to the Jets. The Chargers are going to get in games where they need to throw the ball to win, so they need to get their passing game up and running. When they do go to the air, look for them to attack Titans DC Reynaldo Hill who was victimized on a few big plays last week.

• Look for the Chargers to get backup RB Michael Turner more involved in the offense this week, especially if they are playing with the lead. LaDainian Tomlinson carried it 31 times for 131 yards last week, but the bulk of it came in the first half. In the second half they kept giving it to Tomlinson and he really took a beating from a Raiders defense that never gave up. All those unnecessary hits will take their toll as the season wears on. Both backs will see a solid Tennessee LB group this week. Look for OLB Keith Bulluck who is their best defensive player to shadow Tomlinson all over the field, especially in passing situations where the Chargers like to release him out in the flat.

• The Chargers have to get TE Antonio Gates more involved when they do throw the ball. Gates only saw two passes come in his direction last week, and even though one went for a TD, he needs more looks. Gates is not one of the best in the NFL at his position because of his blocking ability. Titans DB Chris Hope is a former FS that is now playing in the SS role, meaning he has the TE more often in pass coverage. Last week he was beaten on a 12-yard TD by the Jets' Chris Baker. Hope is a very good centerfield type FS but in Pittsburgh he was rarely asked to play in man coverage. Gates has a nice mismatch vs. Hope this week that the Chargers will look to exploit when they go to the air.

• The Titans need to do a better job of staying in the game early this week. Last week they got behind which forced them to abandon their run game at times even thought they were running the ball effectively. To steal one on the road they need to stay committed to running the football. Starting RB Chris Brown averaged 4.0 yards per touch last week, but only got the ball 16 times. When they do run this week, look for them to try run at the right side of the Chargers line. San Diego RDE Igor Olshansky will be questionable with a knee injury. If he can't go, he will be replaced by backup Jacques Cesaire, who is not nearly as stout as Olshansky at the point of attack.

• While the usual stars showed up on offense for the Chargers last week, there was one player that had an excellent game that didn't receiver much attention. That player is rookie LOT Marcus McNeill who was making his first career NFL start. McNeill was matched up often vs. Oakland RDE Derrick Burgess who had 16 sacks last season. McNeill did receive help at times, but when he was matched up one-on-one vs. Burgess he held his own. He was also impressive in the run game, coming off the ball low, hard and generally staying with his run blocks. The LOT position is a big concern for the Chargers, but McNeill took a big step last week to show that he is more than capable of holding down that spot.

• Tomlinson is the best in the NFL at his position. Another player on the Chargers who is the best in the NFL at his postion is FB Lorenzo Neal. Neal is the best FB in the NFL and has blocked for a 1,000-yard rusher in every one of his seasons in the NFL. On Tomlinson's big run in the first half last week, it was Neal that got the kick out block to spring him. Tennessee MLB Peter Sirmon and Neal will lock up often this week. Sirmon has to make sure he plays low and explodes into contact. If Sirmon can't stand Neal up or tries to run around blocks it will put a lot of pressure on the other LBs and DSs Chris Hope and Lamont Thompson so consistently be in position to make plays.

Special Teams
    The Chargers have one of the best kicking duos in the NFL. PK Nate Kaeding was solid again last week on FG's and kickoffs. Punter Mike Scifres kept the Raiders offense pinned deep in their own territory all night. They did however give up one long kick return and their special teams cover units must be solid vs. the ever dangerous Pacman Jones.

Matchups
    • Tennessee LOT Michael Roos vs. San Diego OLB Shawne Merriman
    • San Diego DC Quentin Jammer vs. Tennessee WR Drew Bennett
    • Tennessee SS Chris Hope vs. San Diego TE Antonio Gates
    • Tennessee OLB Keith Bulluck vs. San Diego RB LaDainian Tomlinson
    • San Diego ROT Shane Olivea vs. Tennessee LDE Kyle Vanden Bosch

Scouts' Edge
    The Chargers come home after dismantling and shutting out the Raiders last week. The Raiders have more offensive weapons than the Titans, but Tennessee will be much more sound offensively and schematically than the Raiders were. Tennessee should also be able to protect the QB better with their interior offensive linemen. They might have to help OTs Michael Roos and Jacob Bell. They will draw the assignment of trying to slow OLB Shawne Merriman who is coming off a three sack game last week.

The Chargers have issues that need to be addressed, too. The first one is the secondary play. They were never tested last week, but it was an issue last year. If Collins has enough time in the pocket, he has the arm to stretch the Chargers secondary vertically. The second question mark is Rivers. He was 8 for 11 last week, but the Chargers didn't ask him do very much. The Chargers are back home vs. a Tennessee team that has some offensive issues, so don't look for Rivers to have to play a big role this week either. The Chargers are the better team on both sides of the ball. However, the Chargers do play "Marty ball" with the lead and the Titans play hard on defense, so this game could be a little closer than people think.

Prediction: Chargers 23, Titans 16

2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    If Bobby Wade vs. D Flo is the Titan's big matchup advantage, I won't be losing any sleep.

Chargers 31, Titans 10.

3. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    Thats my boy!

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    BS the pass d wasnt tested, the Raiders called 24 passing plays last week, 10 of which ended up being scrambles by brooks or walter because NOBODY WAS OPEN!!!

Chargers dominate Tenn this week
    ABSOLUTLY DOMINATE, THIS WILL BE UGLY!!

Prediction SD45 TEN 6

5. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    I certainly expect it to be a wider margin of victory than just seven points.

I keep reading the same thing that Rivers wasn't tested and didn't show much, blah, blah, blah.... yeah, he didn't throw a lot, but did you see the throws he DID make? Anyway, this could be a massive blowout if Rivers can throw and surprise them. However, with Norm Chow as a coach, I don't think he'll let them get complacent and ignore PR.

But it sure is gonna be fun to watch. That's why I can't believe our fans don't want to see this game. It should be fun to watch the defense and also see Rivers start throwing more. I'm excited.... let's get it started!!!! :icon_banana:

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Tennesee is gonna get skullfuk't.

Chargers 37
    Titans 12

7. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Heehee I just scored a ticket so I get to see them smack Tennesee in person.:icon_banana:

8. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Cool !!!

Read this just off the wire ~

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=2589656

Chargers DE Olshansky to miss Titans game

Associated Press
    National Football League News Wire

SAN DIEGO -- Chargers defensive end Igor Olshansky will miss
    San Diego's home opener Sunday against the Tennessee Titans because of a sprained left knee.

He was injured early in Monday night's 27-0 win over the Oakland
    Raiders.

Olshansky did some individual work on the sidelines Friday while
    wearing a brace, but has yet to return to team drills. Jacques
    Cesaire, a four-year pro with 17 career starts, will start for
    Olshansky.

The Chargers have their bye next weekend, and Olshansky said he
    could return for San Diego's game at Baltimore on Oct. 1.

Also Friday, the Chargers averted a local television blackout
    after three businesses purchased 1,300 tickets that they will
    distribute to San Diego police, fire and sheriff's departments.

Every NFL game is sold out in consecutive weeks at the start of
    a season for the first time in league history. The Chargers game
    was the last to sell out.

9. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    San Diego - 34
    Tennessee - 0

10. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    You in town or no??

11. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I'm in Portland, OR for the weekend ....... long story.

12. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    No sweat...well, guess I'll catch Army and A&M on the tube.

Ah, People's Republic!!:icon_eek: :no: :tdown: :icon_evil:

13. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Hopefully the Titans are as oblivious to the existance of Shaun Phillips as those scouts are.

I think the Titans offensive line better pack a lunch.

14. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    WTF?

I guess they forgot about the fact that LT sat out the entire preseason and is the 'freshest' RB in the league as a result.

:unsure:

15. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    Well, people can whine and complain all they want about marty going conservative in the 3rd quarter.... and during the game, I was screaming bloody murder, too.... but having thought about it and viewed the replay of the game, marty was brilliant in how he coached that game.

Yeah, I don't like seeing 14 runs up the middle, either, but for Rivers' first game, he played it perfectly. A turnover deep in our own end would have been the worst thing possible. Marty just kept it safe and let the defense do the majority of the work this week. But you can see how marty was willing to open it up once the bolts got out to mid field. I don't think we'll see that sort of thing this week, but for that first game.... man, that was great coaching.

And I HATE conservative play calling. But, I really learned something from that game. I respect marty much more now. I hope this is HIS year, too. :icon_toast:

16. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Yup, that's exactly the point, IMO. It wasn't that Marty didn't want to throw the football. It's that our field-position sucked.

I think our offense will look almost like last year when we get beyond our own 40. But as long as we're deep in our own territiry I expect Martyball until Rivers does a little more to make the coaching staff feel secure.

17. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=2589849

TENNESSEE TITANS (0-1) AT SAN DIEGO CHARGERS (1-0) -- Tennessee
    Titans: OUT: TE Erron Kinney (Knee); DE Antwan Odom (Knee).
    QUESTIONABLE: DT Robaire Smith (Hamstring); T Jacob Bell (Toe); RB
    Ahmard Hall (Ankle); RB LenDale White (Ankle); G Benji Olson
    (Hamstring); RB Travis Henry (Toe). San Diego Chargers: DOUBTFUL:
    TE Aaron Shea (Back). QUESTIONABLE: DE Igor Olshansky (Knee); TE
    Ryan Krause (Hamstring); T Leander Jordan (Neck); G Kris Dielman
    (Hamstring). PROBABLE: CB Cletis Gordon (Wrist).