1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

ESPN: Keeping Sproles will be tough for Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Keeping Sproles will be tough for Chargers

The San Diego Chargers have an interesting offseason approaching concerning their backfield. San Diego has one of the deepest and most versatile running back trios in the NFL, but it may be difficult to keep the group intact.

Let’s take a look at how it breaks down:

Ryan Mathews: He is not going anywhere. Mathews had an injury plagued rookie season. When healthy, Mathews, 23, has shown signs of becoming a good player. He averaged 4.3 yards a carry and scored seven times.

His lack of durability was the knock on him before the Chargers moved up 16 spots to take him with the No. 12 pick in the 2010 draft. Mathews, who also struggled at times with ball security as a rookie, is going to have to prove he can endure the physical stress of an NFL season. If he can, he should become a good player. He runs hard and finds the hole quickly.

Mike Tolbert: This is where it gets interesting. Tolbert is expected to be a restricted free agent. I fully expect the Chargers to put the high tender on him, which would require teams to give up a first and third-round pick to sign Tolbert. That would essentially ensure that Tolbert, 25, would remain in San Diego in 2011.

There have been preliminary contract talks between Tolbert and the Chargers, but they are not close to a new deal. I wouldn’t be surprised if Tolbert does get a long-term deal at some point this year. The Chargers love him. He is versatile, he can run, he’s a great goal-line player, he can catch the ball, he can block, and he is becoming a leader. Tolbert has gone from being an undrafted free agent to a critical part of the No. 1 ranked offense in two years. The Chargers drool at the thought of having Mathews and Tolbert both healthy for a full season in 2011.

Darren Sproles: This free agent is a luxury player. Because Mathews and Tolbert are a big part of the Chargers’ plans, I could see a situation where Sproles is allowed to leave in free agency. The Chargers almost allowed Sproles to leave during the previous season, but at the 11th hour, San Diego decided to give him the high tender.

Sproles, who’ll be 28 in June, was paid nearly a total of $14 million by San Diego over the past two seasons. With other needs and the emergence of the other two backs, I don’t see Sproles getting nearly the amount of money he has received the past two seasons. If Sproles is allowed to test the market, he may get a better deal elsewhere. Sproles had a career high 59 catches in 2010 and he averaged 5.3 yards per carry on 50 rushing attempts. He is also a strong returner. If he leaves, an element of San Diego’s offense and special teams would be missing. But because San Diego is otherwise strong on offense, and the fact that it has several free agents, Sproles could be expendable.

2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I am not sure keeping Sproles, especially around the dollar levels we paid him last season is worth it. I argue he would be a great third down type back in the mold of Ronnie Harmon, but I believe we have seen he is not an every down back.

his return abilities have slacked in the past two seasons, more noticably this last season. We can move on without him, I believe someone like Crutis Brinkley #41 could fill in for Sproles in the back field tandem for a much reduced cap hit.

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Anything more than $2 mil a year, and he is getting over paid. Even $2 mil is pushing it for a part time RB who's return skills have diminished over the last 2 years

4. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    I dont even know why we would try bringing him back. Ever since he got his 2 big pay days, hes seemed to lose it. He doesnt juke anyone anymore, he doesnt break a single tackle, and ALWAYS gets brought down by the first guy. I cant believe AJ would stupidly give this guy 14mil over 2 years, yet refused to pay someone like VJ, but is a much better overall player and much bigger part of the offense, not to mention harder to replace

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I can. Sproles didn't think he was bigger than the team and try to get paid by threatening to sit out until he gets the paycheck.

6. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Lolz, I see what you did thar

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    That was going on even before he was franchised. He has always gone down the moment an opponent breathes on him. His big runs have always consisted of him going completely untouched

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Of course he didn't. He was getting paid 2-3x more than he was worth while VJ was getting 2-3x less than what his market value was

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Seems to me in all the complaining you do about VJ and his contract situation the only person you fail to blame in poor VJ.

It was not AJ that got caught driving under th influence.
    It was not AJ that decided he could sit out and force the Charger's hand.

There are two sides to every argument, VJ is not the victim you paint him to be, he helped set the beat to the tune both sides danced to. It takes two to tango my friend.

VJ wont get the big buck he wants with that year suspension sitting over his head, that is my prediction. He will get a contract that will pay him a lot of money, but I doubt he will get the 'Marshall' money he wants. I also doubt it will be with the Chargers. Just my gut feeling.

10. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Cut Sproles. Draft Shaky Smithson.

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Injuries last season, so Smith may take him... :lol:

12. SDKCFAN

SDKCFAN BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Don't really need Sproles but want to keep VJ!

13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I don't see where the Charger's really need to keep Sproles although he is nice to have around. He'd have to take one hell of a pay cut to keep his present employment address.

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I do not in any way deny that VJ holds some blame. But it was the Chargers who told him it was a take it or leave it offer and refused to even sit down. I have never said the Chargers should give him a monster long term deal, but with some tact and a willingness to sit down, he could have been in camp on time without killing the Chargers long term budget

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    It seems you are making assumptions that he would have been in camp without the long term, big buck deal. When he and his agents said the exact opposite. As far as the take or leave it offer, what do you want? Jackson had time last March to find other teams and did not, the Chargers were not going to enter into negotiations for long term contracts at that time. Remember, AJ is not a councelor, he is not the players friend. Both sides took hard lines, true? (remeber the "lord of no rings" comment by Jackson's agent?)

16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    another thing the initial complaint fails to realize is that Sproles was paid with a tag....the exact same thing AJ tried to pay Jackson with. Sproles signed his, VJ did not.

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    True, I think Sproles is gone. I cant see him making starting money here.

18. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    if youre going to give a guy time to find another team, you dont put a 1st and 3rd round pick on him, then say hes worth only 3 mil/yr. thats ridiculous and its the reason why 90% of the players hate the gm

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    People need to quit pretending AJ thought VJ was only worth 3 mil per year. The 3 mil offer wasn't the long term deal offer. It was a franchise tag designed to buy more time to work out the contract.

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Ok, first. Why should the Chargers be willing to let Jackson walk for less than a 1st and 3rd? jackson and his agents felt he was worth that much. The Chargers are not going to let jackson walk for nothing, this is a business. They will seek the compensation they feel they can get for him. That is their right becaseu they hold the rights to the player.

He was offered a tender, McNeil signed his tender and got an extension. Who can say what would have happened if Jackson and his agents swallowed their pride.

But the bottom line is, in this deal the Chargers held the cards. Jackson and his agents played a very foolish hand through out.

21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    whoops. Not franchise tag, but RFA tender. Either way, my point stands.

22. Chargers4lyfe

Chargers4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    i say cut sproles and draft remene alston from oregon for a third rb behind mathews and tolbert