1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

ESPN: Locker Room Buzz, Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,208
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/94815/locker-room-buzz-san-diego-chargers-6

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Observed in the locker room after the San Diego Chargers' 24-6 winover the Jacksonville Jaguars.

[​IMG]
    RiversA reflective Rivers: Philip Rivers talked about becoming the second player in franchise history to eclipse the 30,000-yard passing mark with his effort against Jacksonville. Rivers has 30,023 yards, joining Dan Fouts, who finished his 15-year career as the Chargers all-time passing leader with 43,040 yards. “It’s kind of a ‘wow’ to myself when it hits you,” said Rivers, who received the game ball from coach Mike McCoy in the locker room. “It’s humbling when you hear that. And the first thing that comes to my mind is how many guys are involved in that happening. You don’t throw 30,000 yards to yourself. There’s a lot of guys that have been on the receptions end of it. No. 85 [Antonio Gates] has been on the other end of a lot of them. And then there’s a lot of guys up front that have protected for you to get the ball off.” One of those offensive linemen is longtime center Nick Hardwick. “It’s just a pleasure to work with such a great guy, a great teammate and true friend,” Hardwick said. “He’s the most competitive person I’ve ever been around. It’s a real honor.” Rivers also confirmed that his wife, Tiffany, did not give birth to the couple’s seventh child while he was in Jacksonville.

Still work to do: While players look forward to having some time off during the bye week, players understand there’s more work to do. Defensively, the Chargers have not given up a touchdown in 11 quarters, and did not allow a touchdown in back-to-back games for the first time since the first two weeks of the 2002 season. But, as safety Eric Weddle said, it’s better for players to learn from their mistakes by winning instead of losing. “The games and plays that you learn from help build your identity and who you are,” Weddle said. “So for us to play like we’ve played the last two and a half games is big -- and not reading the press and feeling like we’re all that -- but just staying closed-minded, staying the course and staying focused. It’s really a testament to these guys, the older players getting the young players right and the coaches coaching us up. Look at the guys that we had out there, and we’re playing lights out. It’s exciting, but we have to keep going upwards. We can’t take a step back.”

Last time Fluker played left tackle? Try high school: You can’t blame rookie offensive lineman D.J. Fluker for feeling a little uncomfortable moving over to left tackle in the opening quarter after King Dunlap left the game with his second concussion of the season. Fluker was drafted as San Diego’s long-term answer at right tackle, and had not played left tackle since his high school days in Foley, Ala. “I was a little nervous,” Fluker said. “So I had to kind of calm down, and the coaches just told me to be patient and it will come. And eventually that happened. I got beat a couple times, but I haven’t been over there for so long. Other than that, I think I did OK.” For the most part, San Diego’s offensive line kept Rivers clean, holding Jacksonville to just one sack.

2. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    All of our olinemen showed a lot of versatility yesterday. Joe D is bringing out the best in this group of largely castoffs & inexperienced rooks/journeymen. He may well be the most valuable coach on the staff right now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    I just hope we keep Joe D here for a long time, similar to Dante Scarnecchia in New England where he's been the OL coach for 10+ years and has kept Tom Brady clean for a long time.

4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    From my favorite website ProFootballFocus.com

Accuracy Clinic

Rivers (+2.6) flat out was not missing his targets on Sunday. The Chargers’ quarterback completed 22 of 26 passes and of those four misses, one was a batted pass, one was a throw away, and yet another he was hit as he threw. That means that on Rivers’ targeted passes, he went 22 of 23. The lone misfire occurred late in the third quarter on a hitch route to Keenan Allen where cornerbackWill Blackmon got away with quite a lot of contact (Allen’s helmet literally came off). Even though 95.7 accuracy percentage wasn’t the best we’ve seen this season (it was second), it was still a masterful performance from Rivers.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    The other side of that is--as I pointed out during the game--Rivers probably threw fewer
    risky passes down the field than any game in recent years...he also was bailed out a few times
    by excellent catches. I'm glad to see Rivers do well, and more importantly, get a Charger win.
    But I can think of 20 games in which he was a more impressive passer...

6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Mostly agree with you for once. With Fluker struggling at LT and Clary back at RT (and the running game rolling) we just didn't take any risks. Rivers took what was there and kept the chains moving all day, it was a caretaker performance.

The only complaint I have is the terrible decision before halftime that allowed the clock to run down.

7. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Of course...my post was not positive. :)

Seriously, though...next time you agree with a post of mine, be a dear and don't share that.

8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    And my suspicion is confirmed. I posted the positive stats from PFF.com and you downplayed it, not because you were actually thinking objectively for once but because you were determined to disagree with me.

At first I just thought you were a silly little fan boy living fantasy land where rainbows shine of Jeromey Clarys *** and Richard Goodman (still unemployed) is better than Devin Hester. But now it's clear that your just an a$shole, for no reason other than to be an a$shole.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    There's that Matilack charm.

In all seriousness, given your ability to misunderstand
    about 90% of things (and make sad-sack predictions, then pretend you didn't)
    I really do think that I need to re-consider anything on which we agree.
    For instance, I initially thought Marty would present LT for HoF,
    but since you declared it to be so, now the odds are that that is not right...

p.s. As I noted, it was during the game that I noted how short PR's passes were...
    that you would later try to make it about you :rolleyes:, just shows how off-base you (consistently) are.

p.p.s. I could deal with the constant lying about predictions, and the silly claims of "research"
    that created the biggest gap between "claimed understanding" and "actual understanding" on this board (by a mile) ...and the steady red Xs to which I've never retaliated...
    but the name-calling (never mind that M's name-calling accompanies cries that the mods aren't doing enough) :confused:
    Well, M, it's long overdue...I will not respond to your childish behavior any more. :)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  10. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +295
    Jesus Christ you two! Settle down!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    What the fawk are you talking about? :confused:When I said "Marty for sure" I was only saying that's who I would pick, for sure. The two have a great relationship, I can't think of anyone more appropriate. If it's not Marty...big whoop.

This is yet another great example of what a damn lunatic you are! You are completely obsessed with every word I post, and 99.9% of the time the conclusion you reach about what I was saying is WRONG!

And even if I was making some sort if prediction...who cares???? Nobody except you! Trust me you are infinitely more concerned about the results of my predictions (real, or ones you've created for me) than I am, on an obsessive level.

As for the thing about PRs passes....I have no clue what you're talking about. I posted something positive, agreed with your toned down view if it...and you still acted like a dick. I don't know how to win with you.

12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Don't count on it. The mods have sat on their hands too long this time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Old Old x 1
  13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Yeah way to take the high road about 3 months to late and under threat of ban. You deserve 10 x worse than the names I called you, freaking psycho. I said to you time and time again not every discussion has to be a fight, I extended the olive branch multiple times including today, you have only yourself to blame.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,208
    Is he under the threat of a ban? I haven't seen anything to support that and the aggressive bending if not breaking of the rules would have been from your post where you called him a name. Let it go. You have been much improved this season, don't let small, unimportant issues tarnish the new reputation you are building for yourself. Just my opinion here, take it or leave it. I got no dog in this frackus...

15. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    I very seriously doubt either party is under threat of a ban.

There's an ignore feature guys - use it - if not for your own sanity then out of simple common courtesy for all the other users here who don't want to scroll through your bickering to get to the football content.

16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    PMs do serve a purpose. The mods know the situation.

By the way as childish as the "name calling" may be it doesn't make it any less true. I honestly believe Lance has deep personal issues, and if calling them out tarnishes my reputation and at the same time gets him off my ***, at this point I'll take that deal.

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,208
    I have been behaving... Pa Pa Pleeeeeeeeeeze dont give me the Sydalish stink eye... You know that turns my bowls to water... :cry:

18. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    :mad:

tee hee :sneaky:

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Seems to have shut him up though hasn't it?

I don't feel the need to put anyone on ignore, I'm capable of having a civil conversation with anyone here of they're capable of keeping it that way.

20. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Thank you for clarifying that Syd.

After you tell a guy he's dead to you, sometimes he makes up stuff, for public disinformation,
    counting on it not being refuted.

Actually, I did finally put the kid on "Ignore" yesterday...should have done so two years ago.
    No more of his nonsense or name-calling for me. :)
    Though I didn't appreciate the false equivalence of one or two people lumping me in with him,
    in "Ignore" mode, that should never happen again. :)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  21. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Try to learn to recognize a passive comment, and show some self control whether it's in agreement or not. When that day comes I'll be glad to have a football conversation with you again.

BTW I was led to believe that the moderators actually had made an attempt to do their job for once. If Lance is being truthful here then there was quite a bit of smoke being blown by certain people who will remain nameless in public.

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,208
    So... we are no longer discussing the buzz in the locker room?

Buzzkills! :unsure:

23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    It's called thread derailment, and it's a shame when moderators allow it to happen. Maybe I'll repost this....

Rivers (+2.6) flat out was not missing his targets on Sunday. The Chargers’ quarterback completed 22 of 26 passes and of those four misses, one was a batted pass, one was a throw away, and yet another he was hit as he threw. That means that on Rivers’ targeted passes, he went 22 of 23. The lone misfire occurred late in the third quarter on a hitch route to Keenan Allen where cornerbackWill Blackmon got away with quite a lot of contact (Allen’s helmet literally came off). Even though 95.7 accuracy percentage wasn’t the best we’ve seen this season (it was second), it was still a masterful performance from Rivers.

Celebrate!