1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

ESPN predicts that we'll use our #1 on a cornerback.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BOLTS4LIFE, Jan 24, 2008.

1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    WTF?!!!

I can't remember the name they used or did I pay attention but why would we use our #1 on a corner back. Haven't we've done that enough already? Three time over the last six years is enough!!!
    Jammer - Solid!! Cromatie - Super Star!!! Sammy Davis - AJ's ONLY mistake so far.

Unless we plan to let Florance walk, why would we draft a cornerback? If that's the plan, use a #3 for a cornerback. We have other needs.

IMO, we need to use our #1 to beef up our offensive line.
    Anyone else have an input?

2. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    We are letting Florence walk.

3. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Why wouldn't they...The odds are with them.

TBF

4. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Don Banks at Si.com thinks we're picking a LB. We have more pressing needs and Wilhelm did fine.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/01/23/mock.draft1.part3/index.html

5. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Acee thinks so as well. We played in nickel a lot this year, and right now we don't have a real legitimate guy for when Florence leaves. However, I agree with you 100 percent, and I would be dissapointed if we didn't take a RT, or RG with our first pick. I really, really think that Cletis "Flash" Gordon could perform if given the opportunity. Guys on the team have been saying for years that he is blazing fast, and I think that he can take on the nickel corner role as well as Drayton "75% completion rate" Florence.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Oh. I think we should offer him a contract and see what he has to say. Unless we have a good back up in our practice squad.

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Thanks for the link. That makes more sense that a cornerback.
    Still, I think help on the offensive line is more important.

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

BTW... Have you read or heard this from a source or is this just your prediction?

9. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    • Like Like x 1
  10. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    D'flo's gone to free agency. He will likely want at least as much as Jammer's contract, but he's not as good as Jammer. So I don't think AJ will offer him enough to stay.

Weddle will take over McCree's safety spot. McCree may be let go.

Oliver might become a backup safety behind Hart, or even compete with Hart.

Cletis Gordon might be a nickel candidate or else be Weddle's backup.

Either way, that leaves an open DB depth spot.

11. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243

D-Flo gives up more passes than any other player, and commits bonehead mental and physical mistakes time after time.

Yet, for some reason, he's got a good fan following.

12. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    I think it would cost way too much. Especially when we are going to use up a lot of our cap space to probably lock up some more starters (Rivers, Jackson, Merriman especially who many have mentioned will take a monster contract), we don't have the money to pay Florence what he will want. Besides, he wants to start, not play nickel. Let him go.

And yeah, because he is leaving, it leaves us a glaring hole in the secondary. The coaches have apparently decided that Oliver is not suited for corner and would do better at safety. That leaves no one talented to cover slot receivers. If you will recall, slot receivers accounted for a lot of Brady and Manning's completions in the playoffs.

I have no doubt AJ would rather not have to spend another 1st rounder on a CB, but it doesn't look like we have a lot of choice in the matter.

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

That sounds about right to me.
    If Florance feels he should get a Jammer type of contract, he should look else where.

14. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Well actually we do so it appears many are penciling us in a corner to take a DB in the draft. We can always trade for one as well. McCree did not come via the draft and neither did Hart.

I would rather have the heat up front on the lines which makes those marginal DB's look like the second coming of christ.

15. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

We must take lineman in this draft. I'm tired of taking lineman with our fifth and sixth round picks, it's time to invest a first round pick in the right side of that line, someone who will pound the guy across from him into submission. Someone who after seeing Rivers get checked by Seymour after a play was over, would go take Seymour out on the next play. I like McNeill and Dielman, but Goff is definitely replaceable, and while I like Clary, he is definitely not untouchable.

16. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    True, but AJ does not like to use free agency. He prefers to develop his own guys.

Besides, do you know any DBs that are going to be FAs good enough to spend money on that wouldn't mind only playing a nickel role? The only good CB I know of who will be a FA is Samuel, and he will cost way too much, and I doubt he'd be happy as just a nickel.

EDIT: I suppose we could trade. Who would you want, and what would you be willing to give up? We're short enough on picks as it is.

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    By all counts from all sources, Florence wants out to try and start someplace.
    I don't deny we would need a new nickel to provide, at the minimum, competition for Gordon BUT WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE OUR FIRST ROUND PICK? We have day two picks for players who are going to be backups and won't be starting. A first rounder should be an impact player at a position of need.

18. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    not saying this is fact but

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20080123-9999-1s23chargers.html

19. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I to would like to see us but big time effort into the O-Line. Give LT the support he needs to set the TD record AGAIN!!!

the SB is OURS!!!!!

:tup::tup::tup:

20. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I think it's funny that people say AJ's going to take a CB with our first round pick. AJ doesn't know what position he's going to draft with our first round pick, so how do the rest of these people know? :icon_shrug:

21. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    AJ uses free agency but he plays the card that we are not major players.

That means he will not get rat fuc't by paying the flavor of the week top dollar unless the gestault is right.

He calls it window shopping but does not buy anything the first week of the sale because that is when everyone is expecting and signing those huge contracts (the frenzy).

I would trade Olivea and maybe tag and trade Michael Turner and then trade LoNeal (if possible), trade Goff, trade one of our running backs (Gross or Race) after signing them to the squad, trade someones mama just get me more beef. :bolt:

22. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    BEEF!!!

• Like Like x 1
  23. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654

Fuc the TD record.

How about give the dude support so he can win the Lombardi so we will not have to hear we gave birth to Barry Sanders Jr. :yes:

24. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

fuk that!!

we are not fans if all we want is the Lombardi

:lol:

25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    We can let that one die, too. :yes:

I'm just wondering why we give a flying f**k what ESPN has to say now when just a week ago we were bashing them for their dismissal of the Chargers' chances in the playoffs? They have no credibility with me.

Beef. It's what's for the dinner of champions. :tup:

26. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I don't remember what site it was, but one mock had us taking a RB in the first...

Edit: Found it.

http://www.draftking.com/nfl/2008/mockdraft.shtml

27. San Diego Chargers - Felix Jones, RB, Arkansas °
    This is an interesting spot for the Chargers, as they need to gain maximum value from this pick since they have traded away (or sacrificed via the 2007 Supplemental Draft) their picks in rounds two, three, and four. San Diego trading down wouldn't surprise me at all.

The Chargers are an overall solid team with few gaps, though with Michael Turner heading for a free agency payday, a young backup RB is a must. This is a spot I gave great thought to, and while a defensive tackle like Pat Sims might be a nice pickup here, a speedster like Jones would be a great addition to the team.

27. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    dan conner is a monster, he would beat out matt as a rookie probably ahah, lets get beefed up though first! ahah

28. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

your right. I'm as bad as the rest of these knuckle heads!!

:lol:

Totally agree with ESPN, Bunch of frigging homers.

beef is what's for dinner!!!

:tup::tup::tup:

• Like Like x 1
  29. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    I don't think they are ready to give up on Olivea. They've invested a lot in him, and he will probably either compete with Clary for his starting spot again, or start rotating in for Goff at right guard. Speaking of Goff, again, he's pretty good, and he's also only got a year left on his contract and he's nearing retirement, so no one would give up very much for him. Tag and trade for Turner just won't work. No one is going to give up very much for him when there are lots of good running backs to be found in the lower rounds of the drafts. That and the fact that he hasn't been running as well this year as last year. If they tried to tag him, they'd probably end up being stuck with him, and have to pay him $8 million to sit on the bench. Not to mention the fact that the guy deserves to go somewhere else and start. LoNeal, I guess they could trade him but again, he's up there and near retirement, so I don't see anyone giving very much for him. We probably could trade Race or Gross, but again I don't know what we'd be able to get for them.

30. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654

You got that right.

Did you like the "get off my field and go home" blast? :lol:

Every year fans go nuts on the blinge players and every year I scream for the BEEF.

Now LT is getting past his prime ........ tick tock tick tock.