1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

ESPN preseason power rankings...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2011/week/0

ESPN.com

The lockout ended, mercifully. Players changed teams in droves. Training camps opened almost all at once.
    Yes, the past few weeks have been a whirlwind. As the dust begins to settle, where does your team stand?
    With the 2011 regular season in sight, our voters (ESPN.com's John Clayton, ESPN.com's Ashley Fox, AFC South blogger Paul Kuharsky, NFC West blogger Mike Sando and AFC North blogger James Walker) have taken the first stab at separating the contenders from the pretenders. Predictably, the defending Super Bowl champs were held in high regard, but, as you'll see, not every playoff team from 2010 was afforded the same kind of respect.
    So without further ado, here is the preseason edition of ESPN.com's NFL Power Rankings.

Editor's note: "LW" indicates each team's ranking in the Week 18 edition of the 2010 Power Rankings.

2011 Power Rankings: Offseason
    RK (LW) TEAM REC COMMENT
    1 (9) Packers 10-6 While other teams stockpiled free agents, the Packers stood pat. Are the defending champs still preseason favorites? (Walker)
    2 (1) Patriots 14-2 Too bad "Hard Knocks" couldn't film the daily Albert Haynesworth-Chad Ochocinco show. (Clayton)
    3 (7) Eagles 10-6 Only one thing will make this season a success -- winning the franchise's first Vince Lombardi Trophy. (Fox)
    4 (5) Saints 11-5 Saints will find out whether Reggie Bush was an underrated contributor after all. (Sando)
    5 (3) Steelers 12-4 With off-field distractions behind them, the reigning AFC champs are focused on getting back to the Super Bowl. (Walker)
    6 (2) Falcons 13-3 Adding Ray Edwards quiets draft-day criticisms about ignoring pass rush. (Sando)
    7 (8) Jets 11-5 So far, they have replaced Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery and Brad Smith with only Plaxico Burress and Derrick Mason. (Clayton)
    8 (10) Colts 10-6 Provided Peyton Manning is healthy, don't write off the Colts. They have healed up and even added outsiders. (Kuharsky)
    9 (4) Ravens 12-4 The Ravens can go as far as fourth-year QB Joe Flacco is willing to take them. (Walker)
    10 (14) Chargers 9-7 Every year looks promising, then they wind up short of expectations. It's time for Philip Rivers to be grouped with the elite. (Kuharsky)
    11 (12) Giants 10-6 Missing the playoffs for a second consecutive year is not an option for Tom Coughlin. (Fox)
    12 (13) Buccaneers 10-6 It starts with the quarterback, and Tampa Bay has a good one in Josh Freeman. (Sando)
    13 (6) Bears 11-5 The loss of longtime center Olin Kreutz will hurt Chicago's running game. (Walker)
    14 (11) Chiefs 10-6 Big breakthroughs are often followed by a step back. Can the Chiefs buck that trend? (Kuharsky)
    15 (17) Rams 7-9 Sam Bradford, Josh McDaniels a compelling combination for the Rams. (Sando)
    16 (18) Cowboys 6-10 It will be interesting to see Rob Ryan's effect on the Cowboys' defense. (Fox)
    17 (21) Texans 6-10 Always a darling preseason pick. Could it be the year? Sure. Could it be another failure with people getting fired? Sure. (Kuharsky)
    18 (24) Lions 6-10 The Lions have "sleeper" written all over them, but only if quarterback Matthew Stafford stays healthy. (Walker)
    19 (19) Seahawks 7-9 Sidney Rice, Zach Miller give Seattle needed weapons in passing game. (Sando)
    20 (20) Titans 6-10 Don't buy that they will be contenders for Andrew Luck. Mike Munchak will squeeze something out of the Titans. (Kuharsky)
    21 (28) Cardinals 5-11 Kevin Kolb's arrival restores hope at quarterback, but time will tell whether Kolb's the answer. (Sando)
    22 (16) Jaguars 8-8 Defense will be better for sure. The question is whether David Garrard can play with consistency. (Kuharsky)
    23 (15) Raiders 8-8 The Raiders are on the rise if Jason Campbell can play consistently. You have to like Hue Jackson's energy. (Kuharsky)
    24 (22) Dolphins 7-9 If the Dolphins can't get Brett Favre to challenge Chad Henne, maybe they can ask Dan Marino. (Clayton)
    25 (23) Vikings 6-10 Minnesota actually got younger at quarterback by acquiring 34-year-old Donovan McNabb. (Walker)
    26 (25) 49ers 6-10 Widespread changes on defense raise questions about 49ers' short-term prospects. (Sando)
    27 (29) Broncos 4-12 I fear the first year of the John Fox regime will be a long, ugly one filled with Tim Tebow-related controversy. (Kuharsky)
    28 (27) Browns 5-11 If QB Colt McCoy isn't the answer, it will be another long season in Cleveland. (Walker)
    29 (26) Redskins 6-10 In a few more weeks, Mike Shanahan might wish he had kept Donovan McNabb. (Fox)
    30 (32) Panthers 2-14 Carolina came out swinging in free agency, but future hinges on Cam Newton. (Sando)
    31 (30) Bills 4-12 The Bills' offensive line can't afford an injury, but it would look better had it added Tyson Clabo. (Clayton)
    32 (31) Bengals 4-12 The Bengals are moving on from the Carson Palmer-Chad Ochocinco era, but expect plenty of growing pains with young players. (Walker)

Glossary
    The rankings were determined by a poll of five voters on ESPN.com's NFL staff: writers John Clayton (AFC East), Ashley Fox (NFC East), James Walker (AFC North, NFC North), Paul Kuharsky (AFC South, AFC West), and Mike Sando (NFC South, NFC West).

2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Take them for what they are worth... Which is about as much as my 'articles' :D

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I think the Colts have to be really worried about Manning. Without him they are not the same team, and he is definately on the downside of his career.

Pats are the 'hey look at us' pick. Picking up fat Albert, and Chad does not a superbowl make. Not a shoe in, but with Brady they are a threat.

Jets? C'mon....

4. Boltzlover

Boltzlover BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    How does this work? Chiefs are ranked below us, but are supposed to win the AFCW?

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Maybe they expect more implosions?

From what I hear, the team is focusing on a lot more fundamentals at camp, so I am not expecting us to give away any games. The Chiefs and Broncos are tied with us for strength of schedule so there is no advantage there.

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I see, the 10-6 is their record last season, not a prediction on this sesason...

7. Boltzlover

Boltzlover BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    Oops, I am on my lunch 1/2 hour and didn't read the fine print.

8. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    Fat Albert, Ocho, Andre Carter, and Shaun Ellis...that D line got A LOT better this off season... Pats have to be the team to beat..Some may forget how good they were looking at the end of the yaer as well...they did finish 14-2.

I think the Eagles won't be quite what people expect and I see the Saints returning to '09 form. They too beefed up that d line with Shaun Rogers, Cam Jordan, and Aubrayo Franklin. Not to mention guys like Ingram and Sproles on the offensive side of the ball.

I am SO terrified of our 2 new vets getting hurt, IF they canstay healthy we will be contenders, but those are both big IF's

9. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    I like where we are ranked. Give us room to move up once we get off to a FAST start!

10. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Rankings don't mean squat, especially since no one has even played a game. Give it a month or so, then go and rank the teams...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    this

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
  13. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +377
    How is Rivers not among the Elite? Elite /= Super Bowl Winner.

14. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    It makes me feel good that everyone is sleeping on the Chargers this season...

How quickly they forget how dangerous this team is.