1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

ESPN rates the Best Offensive Units in the playoffs

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Dec 31, 2007.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I know, east coast media, already tonguing the Patriots but here's where we stand anyway (out of 12 total teams, AFC and NFC)

9th QB
    9. San Diego Chargers
    As complete a team as the Chargers are, the one area of concern is the inconsistency of Philip Rivers. He just does not look like the same guy he was in 2006, both mechanically and physically. His decision-making and deep accuracy are up and down, but he still has a strong arm, and he shows good pocket awareness and feet. He's a young quarterback who prepares well and has good instincts, so his consistency should improve.

1st RB
    1. San Diego Chargers
    Simply put, LaDainian Tomlinson is the best running back in the NFL. He has outstanding instincts and patience when setting up blockers in the Chargers' Power "O" schemes. He has very good foot quickness and natural jump-cut ability, and thanks to his explosive speed he's a threat to score anytime he touches the ball . San Diego also has a deep and talented group of backups (Michael Turner and Darren Sproles).

7th WR
    7. San Diego Chargers
    If this were just a wide receiver grade, San Diego would be much closer to the bottom of this list. However, they have TE Antonio Gates. Gates started the season strong, but injuries and opposing defenses that did everything in their power to contain him were able to slow him down. Make no mistake, though, he is the best tight end in the league. Chris Chambers and Vincent Jackson benefit a great deal from the presence of Gates and RB LaDainian Tomlinson, but they need to bring more to the table; the talent is certainly there.

4th OL
    4. San Diego Chargers
    The Chargers are led by LT Marcus McNeill, who, in only his second year in the league, has become one of the elite with his rare foot agility and body control. As a unit, San Diego is built more for run blocking than pass blocking, and it does a great job of firing out and sustaining its blocks in front of RB LaDainian Tomlinson. Other than McNeill, the players lack mass and power, but they more than make up for it with tenacity and attitude
    Note; don't know if this was by accident or whatnot but no Charger logo. They put the ****ing patriots logo up instead.

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Were the Putzies 1st in every category?? :icon_shrug:

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Pats
    #1 in QB, WR and OL
    #8 in RB

Colts
    QB - 2
    RB - 4
    WR - 2
    OL - 3

Titans
    QB - 12
    RB - 7
    WR - 12
    OL - 6

4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    These guys are prize schmucks.

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Thanks, Ant. :tup:

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    :icon_rofl: :tup:

Let's make sure that schmuck is the ONLY title that they receive this year. :lol: :bolt:

7. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Moderators-I suggest that next season we nominate sports "journalists" for a weekly Golden Schmuck Award. During the Super Bowl we can vote on the Golden Schmekle for the biggest schmuck of the year.

8. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    I can't believe that they think our offensive line is the fourth best of all the playoff teams. Judging by my own two eyes, and their metrics in various areas, they are much closer to the bottom of the twelve teams, rather than near the top. Judging by their ratings, they haven't seen many Chargers games this year. The receiving corp is the best that we've had in years, but ESPN wouldn't know that since they look at box scores and not the game film. Wide receivers won't be the focal point of this offense until LT retires, but that doesn't mean that they aren't good.

9. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Despite the O-Line's struggles at times this year, LT won the rushing title, and easily would have had 200 more yards on top of that, had he played in the 2nd half of the last 3 games. Possibly more:tup:
    Also, PR was sacked fewer times this year, and had the EXACT same amount of pass attempts this year as last year (460 in '06-460 in '07). So the O-Line did pretty good, but we are clearly one of the best, we just had some early season struggles.
    But in NO WAY should we be ranked at 12th, or near the bottom:icon_huh: as SMYB says.:no:

10. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

If you look at how many yards are offensive line generates on running plays, they are in the bottom half of the league. Our running backs are having to work much harder for the two to three yard gains this year over last year. Sacks don't tell the whole story at all. For example, Minnesota only had one sack against us, yet they had a man in Rivers face all game, in fact, our offensive line was manhandled more there than in any other game this season IMO. No doubt that they have improved over the last three games, but they still are my biggest worry in the playoffs. Rivers will be more than fine if given time, but the last time we played Tennessee, we were dominated up front. We all know what this offensive line is capable of, but they haven't shown it consistently throughout the year. In order for us to succeed in the playoffs, we need to have our offensive line perform like they did against Baltimore. I was really impressed with how they performed against the blitz in that game, and they will need to do the same this week.

BTW, New England, Indianapolis, Dallas, Green Bay, and Jacksonville have had their offensive lines perform consistently better throughout the season. If our line plays up to their ability, they can be the best line in the league, however, they haven't done so consistently this season.

11. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    What a load of crap

12. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Descent...I think they summed up our QB fairly well. Although I don't think he has a strong arm...

Up and Down in most aspects of the game.

TBF

13. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    That's what I was thinking too. This guy obviously hasn't seen some of the catches that Chambers has made. :icon_huh:

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I think that statement is right on.

"Chris Chambers and Vincent Jackson benefit a great deal from the presence of Gates and RB LaDainian Tomlinson, but they need to bring more to the table; the talent is certainly there."

I like what I've seen of Chambers but it seemed like we didn't see as much of him as expected until the last few weeks.
    Jackson looked horrid in the first half of the season but has improved quite a lot in the last few weeks.

Though now we are not playing the Texans, Donkos, Lions, etc. So they need to step it up!!! Hopefully they can become as big of a factor as Gates and LT.

So what is wrong with that statement?

15. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    ESPN has gotten full of itself. If they're using season stats and not weighting the numbers they have to add emphasis to the last third of the season then they can find a way to justify what they say. I wonder how many people realize how dangerous this team has become while they peak at exactly the right time. ESPN doesn't much credibility with me over much of anything.

16. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Just look at the numbers from week 14 to now. The Chargers have improved across the board, while the Titans have regressed.

17. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Then by what you just said, we should be ranked no less than 6th, instead of near the bottom. Either way, we have one of the best O-Lines in the league, despite early season struggles.

18. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    There is a huge difference in the stats during the latter third of the season. LT has the rushing title and he made the ground up in the last 5 or 6 weeks. Even if Parker and Peterson had not been injured, LT would have caught them, since it would be doubtful he would have been yanked in the second half of the last two games had he been in contention. Hardwick's return and Clary's emergence have shifted the balance of power.

19. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    Has everyone forgotten that in the last 6-8 weeks we've played incredibly weak teams... I even classify the titans as a weak team. Yes they played us strongly but they are still 10-6, wild card team who can't put points on the board. I sometimes wonder if they looked good because we are over-rated, or if they are truly a super bowl caliber team. Otherwise, who have we really beaten? Lions? Broncos? Ravens? Everyone has losing records and are deeply flawed teams.

Don't get me wrong, it's been a great finish and the team has been playing well. But nobody we've played since Jaxonville would I consider a playoff caliber team, and we lost against them.

I am just trying to be a realist, we still have a lot to prove. I don't put anymore stock in these last 6 games then the our 43-3 win over the broncos.

Let's see some consistent play out of our O-line, QB, beat the titans again, play an entire game at a high level (against a respectable team), and then maybe we can say we are back to form.

20. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    You beat the guys on your schedule. New England has had a rather soft schedule for the most part as well, and they were challenged by the Ravens of all people, and the Jets, too. Giants gave them all they could handle. They beat the Colts by four. The Pokes didn't have an especially tough schedule either. Despite the 16-0 record of New England, there are no truly dominant teams in the league right now. New England is tough to beat but they're not as scary as the Noll's Steelers or Walsh's Niners. The Chargers have as talented a teams as there is in the league right now and they are playing hard and not making mistakes, even though they have been resting people for the last three weeks and without some key people for longer than that. AJ brought in a real difference maker in Chambers, Cro has put his stamp on the defense right alongside Jamal, Merriman and Philllips. This Charger team would have stomped the one opening the season, just like New England did.

21. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The line about the Chargers receivers needing to get more out of their talent is just dead wrong. Chambers was 30 yards short of a 1000 yard season after starting the year on the worst team in the league and changing teams in midseason. That's a very impressive feat. I can only imagine what he's going to do after a full offseason with Rivers. :abq1:

22. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Chambers no question has been outstanding. Jackson and Davis have come along better but I don't think they are where they need to be.

23. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,930
    In case anyone's wondering how we finished the ranking (and I'm sure you 'cant stand the suspense')

We ended with the worst coaching staff in the playoffs but rank fourth overall as teh best team in the playoffs behinds NE, Dallas and Indy but ahead of Jacksonville, Green Bay, Pittsburgh and others.