1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

ESPN: Scout's take: Can Chargers solve pass-rush woes?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Mar 5, 2006
    Eric D. Williams, ESPN Staff Writer

We continue our examination of the San Diego Chargers' areas of weakness this week with ESPN NFL Insider Matt Williamson by looking at the team's issues generating a pass rush.

Williamson believes the Chargers have the talent in place with players likeMelvin Ingram and Jeremiah Attaochu to solve their pass-rush problems. However, those players still have to prove it on the field.

"If you look at it as the glass is half-full, they both have a lot of ability," Williamson said. "They were first and second-round picks. I liked Attaochu a lot coming out of school. I just thought he was kind of raw and his first year would be kind of a redshirt, and then hopefully he really develops. And that could happen.

"But if you look at it half-empty, you haven't seen a lot of quality snaps out of these two. Ingram's never healthy. They don't really have a third option. So it's a really volatile situation. The ceiling for those two, and the outside linebacker position, is quite high. But the floor is really low."

Because of that volatility, Williamson said he would not be surprised if San Diego added a veteran pass-rusher at the end of training camp.

Read the rest at the link provided.
  2. Andres M188

Andres M188 BoltTalker

Jan 19, 2015
    I'm not really high on Ingram. It is looking more and more like, as awesome as Ingram can be, he won't be able to meet his potential because of injuries. Overall for our defense, I think we need to look at what is working in the NFL these days and start adjusting accordingly. Maybe the 3-4 & 4-3 are being phased out.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

May 8, 2014
    I think they can succeed. As mentioned we dont have much depth behind that starters. But I think the bigger issue is the guys upfront. They dont occupy blockers or give interior push. With the exception of Luiget, our D-Line is always standing upright at the line of scrimmage. So when we get pressure from the edge from Ingram or Freeney last year, all the Qb had to do was step up in the well formed pocket. So even if the DLine isnt getting sacks if they could at least disrupt the pocket so there is no place for the QB to step into that would make our pass rush look a whole lot better, because the hurries are there. And the D Line getting stuffed in usually 1v1 situations (At least command a double team from time to time). So I'm optomistic, but I think we need to add help on the DL
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Oct 7, 2010
    So is this a Yes or No? I mean are season is riding on this Eric.