1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Espn the magazine picks Chargers to win Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by !~BOLT~!, Sep 1, 2009.

1. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
  2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    I'm getting tired of the Chargers getting picked to win the SB, I want them to actually do it. :icon_evil:

3. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Can someone post the text?

4. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    Couldn't agree more, although I have stopped looking at picks like this as a jinx.

5. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    • Like Like x 1
  6. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    With how much information you can get on the internet for free I don't know how a market still exists for pay-to-view sites like ESPN insider.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I wish we were picked to draft first in 2010...

• Like Like x 1
  8. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    True, but it does validate my title, because the sentence does show up where they pick the Chargers to win the SB. You have to pay for their reasoning i suppose???

• Like Like x 1
  9. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Actually, I wish we picked 32nd. That would have meant we won that damn Lombardi!!! :tup:

10. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352
    Exactly - if everyone picked us to finish last wouldn't bother me any either

AMEN

11. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    SOMEONE has to have text... I don't mean to beg, well, yes I do. But the reason I really want to know is because in their AFC West Preview they give the Chargers a 13-3 record, but then comment that they will be 'hampered by the inept Norv' or something like that. I want to see how they balance that with us winning it all...

12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I don't put much stock in these predictions, they may get lucky every once in a while but for the most part they're useless.

13. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Agree, not much stock in the prediction, but I still want to read it!

Here is a clip from Bill Williamson on his blog:

ESPN The Magazine says Chargers will be Super

September 1, 2009 1:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com’s Bill Williamson
    San Diego Chargers fans better hope there isn’t an ESPN The Magazine jinx.

That’s right folks, the mag has tabbed the Chargers to win their first Super Bowl in team history.

Making it even sweeter for Chargers fans, the magazine believes the Chargers (who then would truly be known as the Super Chargers) will knock off the New York Giants to win the Super Bowl.

Could it be better, Chargers fans? Having the Chargers and Philip Rivers beat Eli Manning in the Super Bowl? Manning has been a villain in San Diego since he forced his way out in a 2004 draft-day trade that netted Rivers and, eventually, Shawne Merriman.

Now you just better hope there is no jinx in the works.

14. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Damn it all, I am sick of predictions like this.

15. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205
    I'm so ****in tired of these outlets picking us to win it all. Everytime I see it I feel jinxed.

16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    I don't believe in jinxes.

If the Chargers don't win it all it'll be because they screwed up somewhere along the line, not because some ******** wrote words on his computer that spelled out a prediction of them winning it.

17. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    "ESPN The Magazine's 2009 NFL preview
    The Magazine's overall Super Bowl pick is the San Diego Chargers, in a title game victory over the New York Giants.
    Playoff teams in the AFC: Pittsburgh Steelers, Indianapolis Colts, New England Patriots, Jacksonville Jaguars (wild card) and Baltimore Ravens (wild card).
    Playoff teams in the NFC: Chicago Bears, Carolina Panthers, New York Giants, Seattle Seahawks, Philadelphia Eagles (wild card) and Minnesota Vikings (wild card).
    Check out each division previewed here:
    Projected order of finish

1. San Diego Chargers (13-3)

Last year's team had one of the NFL's best passing attacks, even with a gimpy LT, who's healthy. So are defensive stalwarts Shawne Merriman and Antonio Cromartie. Come January, though, the team will still be hamstrung by the hapless Norv Turner.

2. Kansas City Chiefs (7-9)

Shotgun-happy Matt Cassel matches up well with shotgun-happy head coach Todd Haley, and we know Scott Pioli can run a franchise. But expect tough going as Glenn Dorsey, Derrick Johnson and the rest of the front seven swap positions to implement the 3-4.

3. Oakland Raiders (6-10)

Will JaMarcus Russell succeed after his 5-11 career start? It could happen (see: Peyton Manning, who went 3-13 ). Or not (see: Joey Harrington, who went 4-12). Regardless, the Raiders fixed their 31st-ranked run D this off-season -- by adding pass-rushers. Not smart.

4. Denver Broncos (5-11)

New boss Josh McDaniels broke up the offense. Even worse, Denver has its oldest starting secondary of the decade. Oh, yeah, it's got a new 3-4 front that depends on veteran backups and defensive linemen playing out of position as outside linebackers. Yikes.

Jaws vs. Gruden

Jaws: The West begins and ends with who's at quarterback. Philip Rivers will carry the Chargers to an easy division win, while Matt Cassel will significantly improve the young Chiefs.

Gruden: It's not about the letters Q and B. Try numbers: 3-4. Rivers will certainly help the Chargers take the West, but it's the return of Shawne Merriman and the addition of Larry English that will bring back the lights-out pass-rush. The Chiefs will have some serious growing pains in their new 3-4 scheme. And Josh McDaniels just installed a *defense with three down linemen in Denver, but it's going to be awkward until he gets the right personnel.

Jaws: McDaniels has a bigger area of concern: Kyle Orton. He's serviceable when he has a great D and a solid running game, but he's going to be asked to carry the Broncos. At least they have Coach's favorite former Bucs QB, Chris Simms, as a backup.

Gruden: Hilarious, Jaws. Talking about my past, the Raiders -- my former employers -- are on the upswing. Jeff Garcia and JaMarcus Russell are an odd couple, but they'll help each other.

Jaws: Yeah, but Russell still needs to grow up"

If you guys want a preview of any of the other divisions let me know. I can post this crap for you.

18. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Thanks man, I actually read that part on my phone with ESPN MVP, but I can't find any commentary on the playoffs on MVP.

I'd like to see their comments, sspecially since they call Norv hapless but we still win it all?

Thanks for posting this, interested to see if there is any more.

19. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Exactly, no further reading ist - It's all execution, not
    preseason talk. But of course I do prefer to support
    a team which is lined up in the elite.

20. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    THIS is another reason I do not want that pile of **** they call a magazine at my house.

"ESPN The Magazine's 2009 NFL preview -- the cover feature is on the Peyton Manning and Jeff Saturday relationship and can be read here --- is on sale now. "

How many want to read about the relationship between 2 dudes where one has his hands on the crack of the others *** every day? :icon_shrug:

21. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    I would image he'd have a stinky hand too.