1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

ESPN: The next big thing: Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,243
    http://espn.go.com/blog/san-diego-chargers/post/_/id/3404/the-next-big-thing-chargers

By Eric D. Williams | ESPN.com

San Diego Chargers general manager Tom Telesco and coach Mike McCoy will have to capitalize on the momentum built from the team’s surprising playoff run by continuing to improve this team through the draft and free agency in the offseason.

[​IMG]

The Chargers have 12 unrestricted free agents scheduled to hit the market in March. Among them, retaining middle linebacker Donald Butler likely is the team’s top priority. However, key contributors like linebacker Reggie Walker, cornerback Richard Marshall, offensive lineman Chad Rinehart and special-teams captain Darrell Stuckey also make some sense to keep in the fold.

San Diego has seven picks in this year’s draft. Telesco indicated improving speed on both sides of the ball, pass-rush help and adding some juice to the team’s return game are priorities heading into this offseason.

The Chargers also need to get healthy, with edge rushers like Dwight Freeney (torn quad) and Larry English (torn pectoral muscle), along with receivers Malcom Floyd (neck) andDanario Alexander (knee) hoping to get back on the field in 2014. All four of those players finished 2013 on the injured reserve list.

2. Dominion Bolt

Dominion Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +104
    Try to keep Butler, Walker, Marshall, Rinehart and Stuckey. Freeney and Alexander are worth a look in camp. I'm thinking Larry English may be cut loose, and Floyd and Hardwick hang it up.

3. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Walker, maybe a camp invite, Marshall can walk though.

English should be cut, won't be surprised if he is kept around, and can't see Floyd back, I can however see Hardwick return one more year, but since we don't owe him any more money, taking his $5M off the books will be nice, will be a tough presence to replace, but I'm eyeing Alex Mack or Evan Dietrich-Smith. Both real good C's.

4. English

English @tonywaters

Ratings:
    +78
    I really hope M80 is back for at least one more year, I love watching him and would love to get one more chance to see him in the flesh.

Clearly that is for selfish reasons though, and I hope he does what his health dictates.

5. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +449
    Put me in the Alex Mack camp too.