1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

ESPN: This is an opportunity for Rivera

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltmanbz, Oct 28, 2008.

1. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    This is an opportunity for Rivera

October 28, 2008 6:11 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-602/This-is-an-opportunity-for-Rivera.html

The decision to fire Ted Cottrell as defensive coordinator and promote Ron Rivera from linebacker coach is not only a chance for the Chargers to turn around a disappointing season, but it is a chance for Rivera.

It is an opportunity for him to become a head coaching candidate again.

Two years ago, Rivera was one of the most sought after head coaching candidates in the NFL. After the 2005 and 2006 seasons, Rivera interviewed for eight different jobs. He didn't get one and then a strange turn of events occurred.

The Bears suddenly released him from his contract and the hot coaching candidate went from being sought after to being unemployed. The Chargers quickly snapped up Rivera.

If Rivera can turn around this defense, he will get more head coaching looks. His challenge is steep, though.

San Diego is ranked 32nd in the NFL against the pass and has allowed 195 points this season. San Diego doesn't have a sack or an interception in the past nine quarters.

Rivera was known for being an aggressive coordinator who likes to blitz. He is a protégée of Philadelphia's wildly successful defensive coordinator Jim Johnson. Rivera, a former player, is known as a player's coach who understands their challenges.

He can be tough when he needs to be, but he was very well respected by his players in Chicago. Expect more fire from Rivera than from the sedate Cottrell. Rivera is a professional who has succeeded in this position.

It will not be too big for him. Expect a cool confident approach that if it works to plan could result in a playoff berth for the 3-5 Chargers and a head-coaching job for Rivera.

2. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Crap, first I couldn't wait till the bye week and now I can't wait to see them play.

3. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    I am more excited by this move than when we signed chambers.

It's also good to know that if a player/coach does poorly consistently, it doesn't matter "whose guy you are" your out.

PFT made a comment that this could be a warning shot for Norv, but everything I've read was that Norv was the one who pushed him out. If true good for him, and props to AJ/Spanos for supporting their head coach.

4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Normally I would agree, but what I really want is for them to take their time, practice smart, and come out in 12 days more focused and ready for blood. If (and with this team if is a huge word now) we take care of business these next 2 weeks, we have a great opportunity to get better quickly under RR vs. KC (which is like a jv team right now, so they will be a nice back 9 warm up team).

For once, I'm happy for the bye. Deep breath time.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Rivera... Please beat the living sh!t out of my boy!!!
    Forbid him to ever speak to Dion again and fine him $15K for every game without an interception.

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    He needs a week on the bench to rethink his priorities. Is he about #31, or the Chargers?

When a kid is bad/misbehaving/insubordinate, his teacher give him detention. Same should apply here.

8. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Definitely the bye came at the right time. All I'm saying is a lot of folks here have been waiting for this moment and now that it has come, will we see the dominant defense we had last year? I know it will take time but I expect to see a much better effort our next game.

Of course it doesn't hurt to be playing the Chiefs.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Damn! Dumping on your adopted Bolt so quickly? :icon_tease:

I am even MORE excited about our upcoming trip for the KC game now - if that's possible! :icon_banana: :icon_banana: :icon_banana:

10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    46, here we come??????

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    show me some goddamn better tackling and I'll be happy

12. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Hes also played in a 46 under an aggressive coach in Buddy Ryan

Awesome move in my opinion :tup:

13. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    NO!
    Cros biggest problem so far this year is that he seems to only be playing to get INTs instead of making plays and deflecting passes

He needs to stop being so worries about getting INTs and just go out there and shut his guy down

Rivera needs to convince him that there is more to playing DB then making ESPN plays

• Like Like x 1
  14. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    :abq2: :abq2: :abq2:

15. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I am just thrilled with the apparent change in philosophy. Obviously I want our defense to rock. But I'd rather get beat being aggressive than GIVING **** away playing soft.

16. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Wow, I already brought the 46 up. :icon_shrug::icon_huh::yes:

17. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I'm ECSTATIC that we fired fatty.

But I'm not convinced that Rivera was the right choice being that he learned the 3-4 system FROM Cottrell, where as Wayne Nunnelly and John Pagano (who have both been here for 12yrs) learned it from Wade Phillips.

18. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155

Yea he learned what not to do.

19. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Damn did B4L and RTL agree on something???????:icon_huh::icon_shrug:

20. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171

We'll see. :tup:

21. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    We have the players that can pull it off.

22. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    He is going to stick with the 3-4/4-3 hybrid we are running.

What I am looking for is a change in attitude and to slap some of these self-promoting pussies upside the head.

Celebrations need to stop.

Who gives fuk if a player makes a big stop on 2nd down. There was a play this year where someone did that, celebrated and then the D got run the fuk over on 3rd.

Weddle and his asinine celebration. Fuker spiked himself, got 15yrd and didn't even make the INT!! Dumbass.

I don't want to see the D celebrate **** until the gun sounds the end of the game and we have a W. :icon_evil:

• Like Like x 1
  23. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Rivera had a military background hopefully he can bring that to the defense. You don't do that ****, you'd think with the way they've played they'd be too embarrassed to pull that kind of **** but nope.

24. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    No he didn't. I don't remember who it was exactly, but he talked about the 3-4 today in the press conference and he said he ran it a while ago so he's familiar with it.

25. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Agreed, it gives us time with the bye to adapt to the style Rivera will change this team to. He'll have more time to put his stamp on the D.

26. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I heard them mention something about being an understudy to Jimmie Johnson, who is a good pressure guy but doesnt run the 3-4 system.

27. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :tup:

oh hell yeah!!

:bolt::bolt::bolt::bolt:

28. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

Exactly. Not just the celebrations, but the stupid trash talking when you've gotten your butt kicked all day. I remember Cro talking trash to the Saints' tight end after fifteen yard catch for a first down.....

29. henryqjr2001

henryqjr2001 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    We know KC may comes up with a good game against US. Rivera aggresive game plan should abuse the QB and stuff that line of scrimmage.

The Tide has Turned!!!:abq2:

30. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Cro is still injured he almost didn't play against the Saints he should be ok for the Chiefs game...