1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

ESPN: Thomas Keiser flashes pass rush skills

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,208
    http://espn.go.com/blog/san-diego-chargers/post/_/id/1156/thomas-keiser-flashes-pass-rush-skills

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- He's been close to finishing with a sack since being added to the active roster from the practice squad three weeks ago.

However, things finally came together for San Diego Chargers outside linebacker Thomas Keiser against the Jacksonville Jaguars. He sacked Jaguars quarterback Chad Henne twice, part of a six-sack performance by the Chargers' defense.

Keiser also had two quarterback hurries and a pass deflection in San Diego's 24-6 win over winless Jacksonville.

With outside linebacker Jarret Johnson and inside linebacker Donald Butler out, Keiser was one of a handful of young defensive players who stepped up in the duo's absence, including edge rusher Larry English (five tackles and a sack), linebacker Andrew Gachkar(five tackles), safety Jahleel Addae (four tackles and a sack) and safety Marcus Gilchrist(four tackles, two pass deflections and an interception).

“I play with a chip on my shoulder, regardless of what is said as far as whether we're missing playmakers or not,” Keiser said. “When it comes down to it, I entered this league as an undrafted free agent. Nobody expected me to do anything. And every day I go out there, I have to live with those consequences.

“It's harder coming in that way. It's harder earning opportunities to play. And once I get on the field, I take that very seriously because it's something that was hard to earn. So I go out there and try to make plays.”

At 6-foot-4 and 260 pounds, Keiser has prototypical size for an edge rusher. He had 2.5 sacks in a preseason game this season against Arizona, so San Diego coach Mike McCoy chose to go with Keiser rather than sign a pass rusher when Dwight Freeney was placed on the injured reserve with a season-ending quadriceps tear.

San Diego veteran safety Eric Weddle said Keiser's impressive play is just another example of young players finding their way defensively for the Chargers.

“We can't feel sorry for ourselves,” Weddle said. “We always like to have our best players in there. But it's the NFL. Guys are never going to be completely healthy and it's just huge for those guys -- Thomas Keiser with two sacks, Manti (Te'o) making a few big plays, (Andrew) Gachkar getting in there and getting a week better. Larry (English) had a sack. Jahleel (Addae) had a sack coming in on the dime package.

“We had a lot of young guys stepping up, growing beyond their years because they have to. We can't wait around for them. So it's exciting, and it's definitely enjoyable to see as an older guy.”

2. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Just imagine - if we had someone to command attention on the opposite side, he might have a shot at being the new TOG.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    I don't know why I'm always the one to have to mention stuff like this, but as well as Keiser played it's not like he was going against Monroe or Joeckle. The Jags are as banged up at OT as we are at OLB it was backup vs backup.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +498
    No, he wasn't going against Monroe or Joeckle. He didn't have to. That's part of the equation
    of playing in the Not-for-long league.

The Jags were banged up, so were the Chargers, so is (insert any NFL team here).
    San Diego had a guy step up. We've devoted an infamous huge thread to this subject (team depth) already.
    I'd add a link to it, but I'm not going to, mainly because ain't nobody got time fo' dat.

No, you're not always the one to have to mention stuff like this, you're just the one
    who always does. Carry on...

Go Bolts!:bolt2:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,208
    What did the five fingers say to the face? *SLAP!*
    :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
  7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Pretty catty response dude, and unwarranted. Riff suggested Keiser might become one of those guys who "commands attention", my only point was let's not get excited about him yet.

I was actually waiting for someone else to mention it, and bring up past lessons like Jyles Tucker and Darryl Gamble, but I guess give too many people here more credit than they deserve. This isn't a very objective collection of fans we have around here.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    While I agree that this is one game and that Keiser has to show that he can consistently do this, only Jarrett Johnson and Larry English (!) have more sacks than Keiser does at this point. He's been steadily improving, too... from 1 tackle and 1 assist against Oakland (fresh off the street I might add), to 3/2 against Indy, then 3/3 with two sacks and a pass defensed against Jax? I like to see that upward trend and hope it continues.

But I think an unheralded guy in this defense is Reggie Walker, who is second to the injured Donald Butler in tackles by linebackers with 18 solo/4 assists and two sacks. (By the way, in the top 10 solo tacklers on the team, 7 are secondary. Take into account total tackles and it's 6 of the top 10 tacklers, with Jarrett Johnson swapping with Shareece Wright. Yay.) Now, he's not exactly playing lights out day to day - he only had 1 tackle I think vs the Jags - but at least SOMEONE on the LBing corps is doing something. Compare to Larry English: 14/9 with 2.5 sacks, except Walker wasn't a first-round pick.

Either way, we need a talent infusion BAD on defense. But young, unknown guys with heart like Keiser and Walker are keeping the ship afloat. The sharks are circling, but we're still afloat, dammit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    No - I said if we had someone to command attention on the OTHER side, Keiser might stand a chance of becoming TOG. I realize he played against a sub-par opponent, but in all honesty his opponent was roughly the same talent level as him. So I'd say he outplayed similar competition. No overly optimistic assessment of his role now or going forward - just nice to see a guy ready to play & fill in pretty admirably.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Seems we're on the same page, I've just grown wary of third string pass rushers who have 1 big game. Jyles Tucker taught us all a lesson.

11. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +498
    I think this happens in many sports. When your opponent isn't the "starter", you're not expecting them
    to do the things they do. They play an unorthodox style that you're not used to. So it seems like you're
    playing down to the competition or the competition will look like a stud playing up to the next level.

Yes, I was amazed by Tucker in the pre-season and had visions of Merriman dancing in my head. Guilty.
    I better end this post before my cattyness comes out.:D

• Like Like x 1
  12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    Agreed that Keiser and others definitely didn't face Munoz and Ogden, and I'll be very curious to see what happens when he does face better tackles like at KC and Cinncinati. Still for the record, the Broncos don't have pro bowl tackles (anymore)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +447
    Yeah.. I saw Vasquez playing RT for the Donkeys on Sunday!!!. Never have I seen that guy move as much in my life.