1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

ESPN: Who's the favorite now in the AFC?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Oct 17, 2006.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2627326
    :bolt: :tup:
    Allen: The San Diego Chargers are the best team in the AFC. They would be undefeated if it weren't for some poor coaching decisions in their loss to the Ravens. There aren't many weaknesses on this team. The one weakness teams thought they could exploit at the beginning of the season was quarterback Philip Rivers, but he has turned into a strength. This team is playing excellent, aggressive football and can play any style. If a team wants to try to get into an offensive shootout, the Chargers can oblige, and if an opposing team wants to play a smashmouth game with a lot of running, the Chargers can do that, too. But what separates them from the other teams in the AFC is their defense led by "Lights Out" Shawne Merriman. This defense has played great this season and is one of the best in the league.

Hoge: I've been saying it for weeks and my answer is the same -- the San Diego Chargers. With their abilities they are as good as any team in football. They have the best young quarterback (Rivers), best tight end (Antonio Gates) and best running back (LaDainian Tomlinson). Rivers is making throws that no quarterback would even think of making. I'd put them as the best team in football even ahead of the Bears.

Salisbury: The Chargers are the best team in the AFC right now, and I'll tell you why. They are being led by a young quarterback (Rivers) who is not playing as though he's getting his first starts this season but instead is playing as though he's a 10-year veteran. When he drops back to throw the ball, he drops with confidence, and he's backing it up with the correct throws and check downs. There were some who thought it was a mistake for the Chargers to jettison Drew Brees in the offseason in favor of an unproven commodity, but Rivers has proved the Chargers correct. He's utilizing every piece of talent on the field and looks great. He's the reason the Chargers are the No. 1 team in the AFC.

Schlereth: It's hard to argue with the San Diego Chargers. They are stout defensively and while they haven't played great teams, they've handled their business. There is no other team in the AFC that can handle them. They are better offensively than the Broncos and I'm not thoroughly impressed with the Colts.

Theismann: The Indianapolis Colts are still the favorite in the AFC. They are undefeated and are winning games in different ways. Gone is the team that was soft and could win only in blowouts and in domes, and it has been replaced by a team that can win a smashmouth game late. The credit for that goes to Peyton Manning and offensive coordinator Tom Moore, who have responded extremely well to the departure of former running back Edgerrin James. Instead of trying to do the exact same thing they did in the past, Moore and Manning have changed up their game plans and made the team more deliberate, and we're seeing the results in the record.

2. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Theisman's picking the Colts only because of the 5-0 record. Had we beaten Baltimore and the score reflected how much we dominated them, Theisman's argument is obviated.

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Ive always hated Theisman, I dont know how he landed MNF. It makes me sick listening to him talk about **** he doesnt understand.
    He only made one comment I ever liked, and it was before the season started he said "Rivers will be the real deal, this kid's got the good stuff."
    Only smart thing hes said in his life.

WE COULD TAKE INDY EASY TOO!, They cant run on us!, they cant stop the run, we got LT and Turner, if they cant stop our run they cant stop our pass either!, and we have Gates and Parker and Jackson and McCardell leading the way!!
    If Indy and SD played tomarrow, I would break the bank that says SD wins in blowout fashion!!

4. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Of course we could take Indy.

In our last two games the previous two seasons, we dominated them for 7 out of 8 quarters, and sacked Peyton 10 times combined. This year's Colts team isn't as strong as last year's team either who we put a beatdown upon in their house.

5. BIG WILLIE STYLE

BIG WILLIE STYLE BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    Sunday nights Sportscenter gave us no love. They showed one of our TDs and didn't even bother talking about the game like they usually do for the other teams.

6. mapcap55

mapcap55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +66
    Joe Thiesman is no Norman Einstein

7. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    That's because they were busy covering TO's 3 TD catches and all the day's upsets, including Saints over the Eagles.

8. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288

:icon_rofl:

I remember that!!!! :icon_rofl:

9. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    It's good to be an early favorite to strengthen your mind and get self esteem. and we really have a balanced team on every part -
    running , passing, Tight End, Offensive Line as well as on running and rushing defence. But as a favorite every other team wants to play their best against us. So in the long run we should stay a little longer as an underrated team ... and go sunday for sunday.
    Kansas City will be a tough game, exspecially from the redshirted shouting fans. The Chargers will take the lead an make them quiet ... and will be improve week after week.

10. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    :bolt: PSssstttt .... The "Chosen One" has arrived. :bolt:

11. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    YUP !!! :icon_mrgreen:

12. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Not many believed and most fans attacked like rabid dogs.

Now it is time to get 'er done.

Those who doubted are now saying "holy ****". :yes: :bolt:

13. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    :icon_bow: :icon_bow: :icon_bow: :icon_eek: Please oh mighty prophet of the Chosen one keep preaching to the masses.:icon_eek: :icon_bow: :icon_bow: :icon_bow:

They all will convert in do time.

14. megold0715

megold0715 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70
    the chargers are number one in the afc .look how indy barely sqeaks by these weak teams,im a little upset to about them not playing game highlights on tv but thats because there were too many highlights for them to cover were stlll really not getting that much air time fine lets stay under the radar thats cool well be getting air time in the superbowl fo sure

15. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +684
    It only took a few sledge hammers, but I think they see the light now. Rivers is "The One".

Theismann is a tool. "Mr. When I played....<long winded rambling about utter nonsense).

Hey it's E(ast coast)S(ports)P(programming)N(etwork), or the TO personal channel. That's how it has been for the first 6 weeks.

16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I hope we get the Colts in the playoffs!!!!

We'll shut up plenty of people who need it!!!:angry:

17. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Please Trumpie, lets keep this about the Chargers. I appreciate your adulation, but really, lets focus on the bolts. Not what a god-like figure I truely am!:icon_tease:

18. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288

Where have you been???