1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

ESPN: Why trading down makes sense for the Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,509
    Why trading down makes sense for Telesco
    By Eric D. Williams | ESPN.com

Good morning. As we try to predict what player or positional need the San Diego Chargers could fill with the team’s No. 25 overall selection in this year’s draft, there’s a chance general manager Tom Telesco could trade out of the first round all together.

And while that doesn't make for an exciting experience for fans attending Chargers draft parties on Day 1 of the draft, scooping up an extra pick could help Telesco fill in depth for this year’s team, especially with no compensatory picks this year.

At No. 25, the Chargers sit in front of a QB-needy team in Cleveland at No. 26. So San Diego sits at one of potential trading points of the first round, particularly if a team such as Jacksonville, Oakland or Houston didn’t get their quarterback at the top of the first round, and now wants to trade back into the end of the first round to draft someone such as Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Manziel, Blake Bortles or Derek Carr.

As ESPN Jaguars beat reporter Mike DiRocco indicates, Jacksonville had Bridgewater back for a second visit. The Louisville quarterback fits Gus Bradley’s offensive system. And from Bradley’s experience in Seattle with Russell Wilson, he understands how important it is to have good leadership and a strong work ethic at the quarterback position.

But the Jaguars probably will not pull the trigger at No. 3 on Bridgewater. Jacksonville has 11 picks overall, including the seventh pick in the second round (39th overall), so they have enough draft ammunition to trade back up into the first round to select someone like Bridgewater.

The Jaguars probably will not use all 11 picks, and they can afford to lose a pick in order to get the player they want.

Getting ahead of a team that needs a quarterback, such as Cleveland, would be advantageous for Jacksonville. And Jaguars general manager David Caldwell has a good relationship with Telesco from their time working together in Indianapolis.

Actually, the two have known each since their high school days at St. Francis in Buffalo, N.Y., and played college together at John Carroll University, where Telesco played receiver and Caldwell played linebacker.

Both the Chargers and the Jaguars probably run similar draft boards, so putting a deal together should not be too complicated. According to this draft chart, the Jaguars could trade their second round pick (39) and third-round selection (No. 70) for San Diego’s first round selection (No. 25).

The trade would give San Diego four picks in the sweet spot of this year’s draft, at 39, 57, 70 and their own third-round selection at No. 89. According to ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay’s top 150 draft prospects, the Chargers could still fill the team’s most obvious needs in the second round.

Cornerbacks such as Nebraska’s Stan Jean-Baptiste or Lindenwood’s Pierre Desirare still available. Interior offensive lineman such as Nevada’s Joel Bitonio and Xavier Su’a-Filo likely will be on the board.

Pass-rushers such as Auburn’s Dee Ford or Oregon State’s Scott Crichton could be available in the second round.

Or San Diego could get a playmaking receiver such as Indiana’s Cody Latimer or Vanderbilt’s Jordan Matthews at this point of the draft. By trading down, the Chargers could give themselves an opportunity to add three impact players in Day 2 of the draft.

2. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +509
    Or they could trade up or they could stay where they are.
    My money is on one of these three scenarios.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,509
    I think the point of the article was that it would benefit them to move down, considering the depth of this draft in positions of need, and the number of holes to fill.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Joy Division

Ratings:
    +509
    Yeah, that's what I got out of it.
    The point of my response was that we don't know what will happen during draft day.
    I actually like the moving down scenario (don't think it'll happen, but that of course, doesn't mean it won't).*

*so it probably will (or not).

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,509
    Sure, there's no way of knowing, but it does seem like there may be some QBs taken this year (unlike last year). However, some teams might not want to draft them first (like Cleveland) when there's a clear #1 player at a position that won't be there later. I could certainly see a scenario where teams might want to jump in front of the Browns if they draft someone like Sammy Watkins with their 1st (1st round) pick.

6. Joy Division

Ratings:
    +509
    Yeah, I pretty much kind of agree, mostly.

7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    The draft would have started this Thursday. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,177
    I think the Chargers will take their pick at spot number 25.

9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,509
    Most likely, yes. You need a dance partner.

I just think that it's very likely there will be several 1st day trades made this year. There are actually a number of QB needy teams, and the crop of QBs is better than last year. Somebody will want to move up to nab a guy. And, there are quite a few teams with picks to burn. It's unlikely that teams with 10 or more picks (there are several this year) will exercise all those picks. Luckily, none of those pick rich teams reside in our division.

Teams can't trade their comp picks, but they can use their regular ones as ammo to move up for a targeted player. I expect that to happen, and we're sitting at a good spot for that. For once, the Pats first pick is after us, and they are usually willing to trade down for more picks.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    • Old Old x 1
  10. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +121
    Best thing to do, is draft the QB the team wants like we did with eli, then hold him for ransom

• Funny Funny x 4
  11. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +634
    That's the dumbest move which TT could possibly make! That sort of lunacy ought to cause instantaneous and outright firing ;)

In this game, one ought to never draft what the team does not need with its higher picks. If no one is willing to trade, the team will have a QB controversy if not a p*ssed off hold-out on its hand.

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,509
    I'm assuming that was meant as a joke....... best not to consider the alternative. ;)

13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    [​IMG]

14. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +634
    Have you ever known me as The Joker? ;)

15. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    I dont think it is worth it to trade out of the 1st round and only recieve one additional pick. It must at least be a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th since were loosing a 1st round pick altogether. It has to result in two additional players in this draft at the very least. Id also try to get a 3rd/4th for next year too.

16. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,509
    Obviously, any trade would require adequate compensation, if it required us to move out of the 1st round all together.

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,509
    Ummmm............ no. ;)

18. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    well in this trade scenario isn't it suggested we trade our 1st for a 2nd and a 3rd? Thats only one additional pick, were not getting their 1st round pick.

19. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    As far as trading down goes, I think the best possible scenario would be for the Browns to be QB needy at pick 26, and for a bidding war to start over pick #25. Maybe we could swap 25, for the Browns picks 26 and 35. Any team desperately trying to trade up for Bridgewater/Carr/Manziel whoever it is, may also offer future draft picks.

Kansas City at 23 is a team I could see being desperate to trade out, given their needs and this draft class. They could end up undermining us.

20. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,509
    You have to consider where they are picking.

The Jags have the 7th pick of the 2nd round, and the 6th pick of the 3rd round...... that's much higher than where our picks are (both at #25 of those rounds). That would give us two 2nd round picks (high and low), and two 3rd round picks (high and low). Unless there's a game changer that inexplicably drops to us at #25, then I'd make that trade.

• Like Like x 2
  21. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +354
    All this rides on the Browns not taking a QB at #4. If they do, this topic becomes invalid. Give me Fuller or Verrett. If neither are there, I want the BPA pass rusher, or NT.

22. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +318
    Come draft day, a lot of moving pieces will be screaming down the turnpike at freeway speeds.

Telesco strikes me as the kind of guy that believes in meticulous preparation (and by extension the entire scouting staff) and organization.

Trade up, down, or stand pat--as a Bolt fan, I'm looking for a repeat performance of last year. My money is on Telesco picking up another two/three immediate impact players.

23. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    The three teams in front of us (Philly, KC & Cinn) all have immediate needs that could be addressed at 22-24. The first two need CB/WR help, Cinn needs OL/CB help. I don't see them trading out especially if the bulk of WRs/CBs are still available. In fact if they select players the Bolts are targeting (Beckham, Roby, Fuller, XSF, etc) then it might strengthen the case for the Bolts to trade back. Instead of pushing a position where they will pick from whatever is left of their top selection, they could end up with four picks in the top 75 and that's the real sweet spot in this draft with the incredible depth here. They could even grab someone in the early second that dropped (nix, verrett, a WR, ford or xsf maybe?) from the first. Even if Carr/Bridgwater/Manziel/Bortles all go in the top 15, that second tier might be intriguing enough for teams to trade up.

Think the Chargers are in THE prime position short of the top 5 in this draft.

24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,509
    Did you overlook the fact that KC lost 3 offensive linemen in free agency this year? Better add OL to their list of needs.

25. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +634
    That's what I've been scratching my head about too :tdown:

When people claim that KC has improved, I just don't get it how? They've lost decent caliber O & D linesmen. I mean they did take Tyson Jackson (now with Atl) as a reach in 2009 (?), but still...

26. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +121
    It was a joke, but if it did happen and worked out id laugh my butt off. But im a fan of staying put unless by the grace of god khalil mack falls, it wont happen but thats hypothetical. If we move back we should be able to pick up a cb and nix at 57. just my opinion tho

27. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,772
    The Bolt defense as it stands right now is no match for what lies ahead this upcoming season. Speed and durability from the OLB spot will be very important along with some decent coverage in the D backfield. The NT position looks like a wash for the 14 season so they'll have to saddle up and ride it out unless something happens unforeseen.

If trading down will help, then go for it and pick the best OLB or CB on the board while keeping an eye out for a speedy WR. Looks like Lissemore and Geathers at NT for the near future, damn, what a time to be filling holes in the defense with the killer sched. the bolts have. Ought to be a fun year.

28. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    I suspect the Browns will move up from 26 and make a splash with another top-15 talent.