1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

ESPN Wojciechowskis NFL Predictions

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by RM24, Jan 23, 2008.

1. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    LINK

ESPN's Woj's preseason predictions, did he get them right or wrong?

The Charger related ones:

97: San Diego Chargers football savant LaDainian Tomlinson outscored the entire Oakland Raiders team last season (186-168). It won't happen again -- not because LT isn't good for another 170-plus points, but because the Raiders' offense can't be that gruesome again & can it?

Right.

57: You will do very well in your fantasy league if you stole one of these three players in the later rounds: Chargers WR Vincent Jackson, Patriots WR Wes Welker or Redskins QB Jason Campbell.

Right.

Welker (112 catches, 1,175 yards, 8 TDs) was an all-time mid- to late-round heist. Jackson (41-623-3) was decent, while Campbell (2,700 passing yards, 12 TDs) would have been a nice insurance policy, especially during Weeks 10, 11 and 12 (two 300-plus-yard games, a combined six TDs).

50: Can the Colts repeat? We'll learn a lot about their chances during a brutal four-game stretch that begins Oct. 22: at Jacksonville, at Carolina (only five days of prep time for the Panthers), New England, at San Diego.

Right.

The Colts went 2-2, beating the Jags and Panthers, but losing by a combined six points to the Patriots and Chargers. What did it all mean? That the Colts were still a force to be respected, but that they had some soft spots. And the softness, especially during that four-game period, was partly the cumulative effect of injuries to players such as Marvin Harrison, offensive tackle Tony Ugoh, defensive end Dwight Freeney, cornerback Marlin Jackson and backup wide receiver Tony Gonzalez.

44: I picked him in 2006, I'll pick him again in 2007: Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman will be the NFL Defensive Player of the Year. And unless he suffers a serious injury, I'm already picking him for 2008.

Wrong.

Hard to argue against the Associated Press' choice of Indy safety Bob Sanders.

40: The Chargers will beat the Colts, and the Patriots will beat the Ravens in the AFC Divisional playoffs.

Right.

OK, so the Pats beat Jacksonville, but that's good enough for me. And the Bolts beat the Colts in Indy, though I'm not exactly sure how.

37: The worst thing about the Chargers is that they can't wear those powder-blues every week.

Wrong.

Knee injuries to Tomlinson and Philip Rivers and a toe injury to Antonio Gates were the worst things about the Chargers' sense of timing. Had they been healthy for the AFC Championship, maybe the Patriots are 17-1. Maybe.

34: I used to think Los Angeles would get an NFL franchise sooner rather than later. Now it's looking like the reverse is true. We're going on Season 13 without an NFL presence in the nation's second-largest market.

Right.

The NFL would love a franchise in L.A. But first it needs a state-of-the-art stadium with lots of really expensive suites. That way the league could have a Super Bowl there every 3-5 years.

Don't count on an expansion franchise just yet, though you never know what someone like Mark Cuban might be thinking. A more likely possibility would be the relocation of, say, the Jacksonville franchise. Or maybe even New Orleans or Buffalo. The Chargers have been mentioned, but Orange County makes more sense than moving all the way up to L.A.

26: Chargers general manager A.J. Smith won't be able to blame Marty Schottenheimer if San Diego doesn't reach the AFC Championship this year. According to Sports Illustrated's player rankings, new coach Norv Turner has the No. 1 running back in the game (Tomlinson), the No. 2 linebacker (Merriman), the No. 1 tight end (Gates), the No. 2 defensive tackle (Jamal Williams), the No. 3 offensive tackle (Marcus McNeill) and the No. 5 offensive guard (Kris Dielman).

Right.

After a 1-3 start, sideline dancer Norv Turner guided the Chargers to an 11-5 season and an admirable effort in the playoffs. Yeah, he could have taken a few more chances in the AFC Championship, but it's hard to rip him too much.

4: The Chargers will beat the Patriots in the AFC Championship.

Wrong.

Right teams, wrong pick.

My Comment: (DAMMIT!!!)

2: The Chargers will beat the Bears in Super Bowl XLII. (I wish)

Wrong.

Neither team even reached the Super Bowl. (we would have KILLED them too!)

2. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    This MSNBC article seems to articulate that it might be better in the long run for the NFL if L.A. DOESN'T get a franchise, because other franchises that want a new stadium can use the threat of moving to Los Angeles as blackmail to get one.

With a franchise in L.A. that threat goes away, and makes it harder for teams to get new stadiums built.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22297105/

3. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I can't imagine the Los Angeles "Vikings" anyway.....:icon_huh:

4. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    I'm sure the players could. Hmm... play in freezing cold Minnesota, or warm, sunny, Los Angeles, with all those Southern California babes and celebrities just minutes away? :icon_tease:

5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    There are some real cutie pies in Minneapolis. Put the comforter in the drier and break out the mulled rum.

6. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    I'm sure there are. It's finding them buried underneath all those layers of clothing that's the hard part. :lol: