1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Estes '98 percent' sure he'll have Tommy John surgery

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by rexy2006, May 29, 2006.

1. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2005
    SAN DIEGO (AP) -- Padres left-hander Shawn Estes said Monday he is "98 percent" certain he's going to have reconstructive surgery on his pitching elbow next week.
    Estes strained his left elbow during his Padres' debut on April 5 and was put on the disabled list two days later.

Estes said Monday that he plans to get a third opinion, then likely have Tommy John surgery next week. He got a second opinion last week from Dr. Lewis Yocum. "The decision came down to this -- do I want to continue pitching beyond the season," Estes said. "The consensus with me and my family was, yeah, I do. I absolutely do."
    Said manager Bruce Bochy: "It's disappointing at this point for him and for us. He was throwing the ball so well. He definitely would have helped us this year. He's doing the right thing."
    Estes signed as a free agent on Jan. 10.

Updated on Monday, May 29, 2006 9:50 pm EDT

:icon_sad: ~So ends the Estes Experiment.~:icon_sad: