1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Even When Times are Tough...There good!!!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltsnow, Oct 25, 2006.

1. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Even though we are getting hit with the injury bug and now the BS with Merriman, we are in a pretty good position considering.

We have some (hopefully) easy opponents coming up at home. Merriman will play with an unrelentless drive knowing he will be suspended and he will make sure he can do all he can to put this teamm in the best position before he goes out. In the meantime...knowing that he is gone, this gives us the chance to groom his replacement with the first team in practice which has to help out more than throwing him in halfway through a game do to injury.

Then the guys that are gone now due to injury, hopefully there replacements will suffice with the teams we have coming up.

So if we were to have this small string of bad luck.....this is the way to have it. Not to mention the coming out party of Philip Rivers being able to open things up. We be in a rough position, but it can be alot worse then what it is. :yes:

Just my 2 cents! :tup:

2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    If it were Brees at the helm, I would be worried but with Rivers I am not.

Rivers shows he has the ability to carry a team himself whereas Brees never inspired that feeling.

We are in better shape than most give us credit for at this stage.

Few predicted we would be here with a "rookie" at the helm and a old crusty hard headed German as head coach but here we are ready to rock and roll.

If anyone in the NFL does not fear us - they are fools.

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    It is way too early to be smoking a bowl Tony...

4. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Hey, can I adopt Trumpie? I have to defend him on this. He is right, atleast from alot of posters that I saw. Never gave us a chance at the beginning of the year and now look at us.

5. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    We have a tough team to play this week. St Louis has a great passing game, and without our pass rushers at full force, our secondary is going to have to play better than ever. And I'm sure they know this. This week is absolute must win.

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Rivers is doing great, but not carrying the team. That is just silly.

7. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Dude I saw something in the kid. Then the negative assswipes would say "yeah but he did not beat out Brees in camp" and still I would not back down.

This Rivers dude is better and will be better and now some are remembering all the crap I took ..... :yes:

Now those doubters and haters have convenient amnesia and have grown silent or weary or simply feel reamed out. :icon_mrgreen:

8. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Only because he isn't given the chance!:yes:

When he is asked to step up like he did against KC he did. Granted, he did help put us in that position but he stood firm. I would much rather know that he can lead us from behind then hope all of the moons align for us to mount a comeback.:icon_toast:

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Dont get me wrong. I am estatic with Rivers. i just dont think saying he carries the team is correct. He is GREAT though. Better than Brees in some ways, yes, but in different ways. I think they are both good. Cant argue with 5-1. 4-2 aint bad either.

10. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    G@%$ Damn should e 6-0!!!!:icon_evil:

Coaching cost us 1 game & there is no way we should have lost the second. We have not really turned over the ball all year and to do it in the fashion that we did is just out of character.

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Yup I commented on that in another thread today...

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The point is that Rivers has shown an ability or certainly inspires the feeling, he can carry the team whereas Brees did not exude that same quality.

We do not want dinkers and dunkers anymore and they rarely inspire the confidence they are comeback artists or guys who we can count on to CARRY a team when needed.

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    That dinker and dunker has a team you said would not win many games at 5-1. You can argue with his success but you woudl be incorrect yet again.

Rivers is great for the team, but does not carry it IMO.

14. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Wait until the season is over...

we will be revisiting this topic and certainly the irrefutable proof will be there in droves.

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Careful, you might get foot in mouth disease again...:lol:

16. mapcap55

mapcap55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +66
    PR has shown that he is a gamer and a leader which is good because with all of the injuries and distractions we need someone to be solid...I am almost afraid to turn on ESPN anymore because who knows what is next?

I do like that he looks to go downfield more often...

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Yup.

18. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I'm with Trumpie on this and if I wasn't.....I would hope that I am made to eat my words at the end of the year!

19. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    You are certainly skirting the issue.

No one said Rivers is carrying the team but you.

What was posted was that Rivers inspires the feeling he is more capable of carrying the team when needed than Brees.

That requires a yes or no response or I don't know.

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    This trumpet is you stating a fact that Rivers carries the team. Not stating he 'might' be able to do it.

Why you still have butt hurt about Brees and cant talk about Rivers without pining about him confuses me...

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Read what you post before commenting....:lol:

22. mapcap55

mapcap55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +66
    Yes:yes:

23. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654

Why do you skirt the issue again?

Let me rephrase it and be blunt.

Who is more capable of "carrying" the team from what you have seen ?

Rivers or Brees ?

24. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    They both are. Brees has brought both Chargers and Saints from behind, and Rivers has played well and almost engineered a win in Arrowhead.

Get some Peperation H and rub it where your sore, you will get over your un-natural man-lust for Brees...

25. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Thank you.

That was not as hard as Conc wants to make it.

Fact, fiction or out of someones rear, I could give a rats asss it is a simple question.

Yes, no or I have no fuggin clue but noooooooo .........

26. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I would have to say Rivers. One is due to his ability to be a more percise passer on deep attempts.

Second is his quick release and bullet passes that alow for a greater chance of error. Where as with Brees, I always thought he had a less margin for error.

So in closing....Less chance for error in my book gives you a greater chance of carrying the team.:icon_banana:

27. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    This basically means you do not know or have not formulated a good enough judgement to go one way or the other.....it falls in the "I do not know catagory".

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    No Tony. That means they both are. I understand your grasp of the English language isn’t that strong, but try and keep up.

Tell you what Buffy, put down the palm palms. Why don’t you actually post something with cognitive information on why Rivers is able to 'carry' the team as you boldly state. Is that because he was unable to have a winning drive against Baltimore? Or because he was unable to win in KC?

What is it that drives you to say he can carry the team? He is doing a great job yes, but what makes you feel so confident that he is what you are painting him to be?

Some facts to back up your position would be good, not just some latent homerism, and lost love angst against Brees. Can you do it?

29. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    What I like about Rivers is that he played a damn good defense in the Ravens and he took the blame for that loss. In reality we all know that it was the defense that let us down and the coaching. Kind of hard to carry a team when you average less then 3 pass attempts per quarter.

And KC, he was a big part as to why we had to mount a comeback. But in his defense, he did comeback. Once again, it was our defense that let us down.

Spin it as you will, the defense has cost us both games in the end. One game....we hold we win & the second....we hold we have the chance to win!

30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Agreed. Rivers has played extreemly well for us.:tup: I am extreemly happy with his performance and think we are in good hands. Trumpie wants to make this something bigger, I am just asking him to back up his rehtoric.