1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Everybody relax and gain some perspective...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Yes, we've lost some good coaches...and Donnie is leaving...and we may lose Dielman via FA...but let's take a little closer look....

We have barely begun in the offseason. Historically AJ doesn't rush to make moves and he doesn't panic. This team is already built for the long-term and IMO we have the best talent evaluator in the business running the show. Worst case scenario is we lose Dielman, Phillips, Edwards, Kiel, Turner, Godfrey, and our OC, DC and 2 other coaches...and don't replace any of the player ...we are still good enough to go to the playoffs with the legues toughest schedule IMO. That's not going to happen though, and we are going to come back a tougher, stronger team with playoff experience under it's belt for 2007. Let's look at each area:

Coaches- IMO Wade is more of a loss than Cam. Cam's playcalling was suspect on occasion this year...with some brilliant calls mixed in...The guy is a bit of a Norv Turner clone, but he is not without his faults. We had our hands around the Patriots' collective throats in the playoff game and IMO our offensive playcalling removed our grasp and put it around our own team's neck in the second half. Most important is continuity of scheme...and we immediately promoted a guy who has been in the system with us and who the players absolutely love in Selmon. Wade is a little different story....his blitz packages and in game adjustments...particularly at half time were great. We are losing a great DC...who is not cut out to be a HC....and will be a one-year Jeff Garrett stop gap in Dallas....He was going to be a HC somewhere because that's what he wants to do...but he's made his rep as a DC.....The Niners moved quick to grab Manusky..but we still have a very highly respected LB coach in Pagano...who has been instrumental in helping run Wade's defense...ready to step in. We also hired two very impressive coaches on the offensive side...We are not going to get killed because of the coaching defections. Most importantly...the guy at the top is staying put for now. We are not going to see much of a difference.

Our Free Agents- Edwards is gone...We've known this was going to happen for two years now...Coaches and management were confident enough in Wilhelm/Cooper that they were perfectly fine putting Donnie on the trading block before 2006. Donnie is a great pass defending LB...but he is easily upgraded over as a run defender...which is this team's bread and butter. We are not sticking a rookie in his place and have two very athletic LBers ready to move in who have been in the system for 3 years. Dielman is a good player...fiesty and a gamer who everyone loves....but the fact of the matter is that he's not Steve Hutchinson..and he's not worth close to that kind of money when it will hamstring the rest of the team. He is probably gone. The upside is that OG is one of the easiest positions on either side of the field to replace...certainly easier than OT. He will not be missed as much as people think. If we can't sign him to a reasonable salary..it's best to let him go than try to sign him. Shaun Phillips is the priority...and he will be signed long-term IMO. He is special...like Merriman and having two great pass rushing OLBers along with a great DT makes a 3/4 defense incredibly effective. I can't see him going anywhere and will be franchised before that happens as LB is a much lower tag number than OL. Michael Turner is also gone....but we are probably going to get something for him....a good high pick...which can be converted into a back like Tony Hunt. With all of the talent we have at key positions we need to lock into contracts...we can't afford to pay to uber high RB salaries. Sproles comes back also which takes some of the burden off.

Outside FA and draft- We are going to kickass once again in the draft....I GUARANTEE it. Whether we get an impact player at WR, SS, or OG...I don't know...but we are going to get help in the draft....We will also pick up one solid FA....not a marquee name...but an under the radar type a la McCree last year.

Our returning vets- This is where we are stronger than any other team in football IMO. We are loaded with talent on both sides of the ball...The biggest question mark going into 2006 was our QB...well we have a returning pro-bowl QB now...who is only going to get better. Our leagues highest scoring offense is going to maybe lose one player...and we will find a good replacement if that happens....oh yeah...we also have the best player in football on our team. Our defense will lose one dead weight player in Kiel...and two aging LBers..who were due to be replaced anyway by players who have been prepared for this for two years. This defense will be stronger and better in 2007.

Anyway...let's stop with the chicken little talk for a while...remember what a "disaster" it was last year when Foley and Sproles went down and our season was doomed before it started. Look at the Patriots last year losing "Mangenius" and Charlie Weiss the year before...look at how they also lost Deion Branch and had multiple injuries..and still had no problem going 12-4....No look at the way we've been following the Patriots' model the last 3 years. This is going to be a damn good team next year and the entire NFL fears us. We are going to be so loaded with talent going into this year's TC that our new coaches are going to look like instant "geniuses" and will be next year's hot head coaching candidates. Enjoy the offseason as we reload into a stronger team built for long-term success..while other teams overpay for individual performers.

2. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    good thread, it should be stickied till september.

3. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I said this in the UT board since 04 when AJ really had a full offseason people would complain all off-season about his moves, he's cheap, horrible pick, how didn't he re-sign him etc.

But during the season everyone is calling him gawd, he's a genius, how did he get that guy etc.

I guess it's the cycle we got to live with, but if we're going to have people complain might as well have it during the off-season.

4. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    AJ is gawd!!!

5. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111

Prior to the 04 season, people had reason to be skeptical given the fact that we hadn't done anything and we had an apparent fiasco at QB with Brees and Rivers. We have been steady ever since though...and we really should have been in the playoffs in 05 as we were a strong team then. We will be just fine in 07.

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    My perspective is perfectly clear, we have crossed the threshold of the painful playoff learning curve. It's all or nothing next year. I'm calling for the first of at least 3 SB wins for our Bolts next year and in the next 5 years. Can you feel it?:bolt2:

7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I am feeling "it". :yes:

8. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886

I'm sure this team will win with or without Marty, but I'd like to see the old guy go out on top. Even if we win it all next year I do believe he'll move on.:bolt2:

9. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111

That's what I'm talking about...and yes..I can feel it. We are not going into next year scared. Everyone fears us.

10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Preach it Father Hex!

11. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886

I'll preach it but, Merriman has to keep his mouth shut and ditch the dance, only until he gets the ring. We have the team, now they have to put up or shut up and I get that's the feeling around the league also.:bolt2:

12. gobolts_charger

gobolts_charger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Hopefully this offseason wont be too long!
    I think McCardell will be gone, but hopefully not Phillips!! Deilman will be an issue as well.
    As far as the new coaches, I have all the faith that they will do just fine with all the talent that they have to work with.
    We're built for a long time & I believe AJ will work wonders in a little free agency & the draft!!
    Go Bolts!!:helm1:

13. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Just right