1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Everyone But Weddle

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by gobigblue, Jul 23, 2007.

1. gobigblue

gobigblue BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    All chargers signed minus Weddle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.chargers.com/news/press-r...e-20070723.php

The San Diego Chargers have agreed to contract terms with five draft picks. Wide receiver Craig Davis (first round) has agreed to a five-year contract, while linebacker Anthony Waters (third round), cornerback Paul Oliver (fourth round, Supplemental Draft), tight end/H-back Legedu Naanee (fifth round) and linebacker Brandon Siler (seventh round) have each agreed to four-year deals.

All five players along with tight end Scott Chandler (fourth round), who signed a four-year contract in June, are expected to be on the field Wednesday for the start of rookie workouts and Saturday for Training Camp Opening Day.

Safety Eric Weddle (second-round, 37th overall) is the only draft choice who has yet to agree to contract terms.

Davis, 6-1, 202, was the 30th overall pick in April’s draft. The New Orleans native became the seventh player in LSU history to gain over 2,000 yards receiving in a career, snatching 141 passes for 2,107 yards (14.9 average) and seven touchdowns. Davis started 25 games at LSU and was a second-team All-SEC performer as a senior. He caught at least one pass in each of his final 35 games.

The Chargers selected Waters with the 96th pick in the draft. The 6-3, 238-pound tackling machine was primed for a monster senior season before a knee injury prematurely brought his college career to an end in Clemson’s 2006 season opener. As a junior in 2005, Waters earned All-Atlantic Coast Conference honorable mention as the Tigers ranked eleventh in the nation in scoring defense. He led the team and ranked third in the ACC as he recorded 109 tackles (74 solos). He also registered 13.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage.

The 6-0, 208 pound Oliver became the first player selected by the Chargers in the Supplemental Draft since the team took defensive tackle Jamal Williams in the second round in 1998. Oliver played in 38 games and started 15in three seasons at Georgia. As a junior in 2006, the Kennesaw, Georgia native finished fifth on the team with 57 tackles and posted three interceptions and 12 passes defensed.

Naanee, 6-2, 226, was taken with the 172nd overall selection. The Portland, Oregon native was named first-team All-WAC last season after leading Boise State with 34 receptions and six touchdowns. An extremely versatile athlete, Naanee came to Boise State as a quarterback before finishing his college career as a wide receiver. The Chargers plan to use him in a variety of ways in their offense.

Siler, a second-team All-SEC performer in 2006 at Florida, was the 240th overall pick in the draft. Siler was a key component in National Champions’ defense as he ranked second on the team with 77 tackles (55 solos). In addition, he posted three sacks, three pressures and ten stops for losses, as he caused and recovered one fumble. In 37 games at Florida, Siler started 31 times. He finished his career with 218 tackles (133 solos), nine sacks for minus 61 yards and 28.5 stops for losses totaling 111 yards.

2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    AJ has ways to make him sign.:bolt: :lol:

3. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Sweet!! I think Weddle will be locked up by Wednesday.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    WTF AJ!

5. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    AJ likes to save internet bandwidth and only make few signing announcements. The Chargers did this last year (or the year before, I forget which) by announcing most of their signings in one press release.

6. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    :huh: :icon_wtf: :unsure:

7. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I am wondering the same thing.:icon_huh:

8. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    WTF RE: "WTF AJ"

Weddle will get inked soon. Tonight or tomorrow. Then what will the AJ haters have to ***** about?

9. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Weddle sign sign sign please. It will be much appreciated from this loyal Bolts fan.

In AJ I trust.:icon_toast: :icon_bow:

10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    *YAWN*... damn, this has certainly been one boring off-season.

I LOVE IT!!!

11. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Don't worry they'll think of something.

Come on Weddle, get out of the house.

12. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    me 3 :icon_huh:

13. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    WTF? or WTG?

I think Ray meant WTG AJ! as in "Way to Go!"

• Like Like x 1
  14. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Thank you.

I was :icon_huh: :unsure: to think why Ray would not like that we signed all but Weddle.

Now I am not confused. :icon_mrgreen:

15. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    aaaawwwww
    now that dose make a lot of sense :tup:

rep points for thumper 4 that :yes:

16. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Great news, especially having Oliver in camp on time. That is crucial since he missed minicamp.

:tup:

17. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Real camp starts on Friday, so as long as he's ther when the vets report, everything is gravy.

IT'S FOOTBALL SEASON BOYS AND GIRLS!!!! WOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!

18. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Oliver is going to have a lot of catching up to do.:unsure:

I hope that he can catch up to everyone else.

Let us hope that he turns out to be like Jamal Williams and be another steal that we got from the Supplemental. Draft..

19. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    it has been dull but at least up to the draft there was at least one thing a month for us at BT to talk about. Finally we got training camp coming up. And seriously, AJ should have noted every single signing when they came down....moron.

20. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    By Adam Caplan
    SDBoltReport.com
    Posted Jul 23, 2007
    http://chargers.scout.com/2/660888.html

Scout.com's National NFL Reporter Adam Caplan notes the San Diego Chargers have signed supplemental draft pick Paul Oliver.

Cornerback Paul Oliver agreed to a four-year contract with the following base salaries:
    2007: $285,000
    2008: $370,000
    2009: $460,000
    2010: $550,000

His signing bonus is around $408,000.

Oliver will be competing for a role in San Diego's dime defense this season. However, the former University of Georgia standout defensive back should be able to compete for role in their nickel defense in 2008 since the club isn't expected to re-sign starting CB Drayton Florence.

21. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Nein! He haass vays.

22. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886

Naw, it will be a cool few million.:bolt: :lol:

23. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Oliver will truly be a steal if he just winds up being a good solid cb. Here's to hoping.

The alternative would have been paying florence 3 to 5 million or so a year which would have hurt us bad in trying to sign other players to longer contracts.

24. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Not too many teams with everybody in at the moment. I love it when a plan comes together.

:abq2: :abq2: :abq2:

25. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886

Hell yeah this is great and I'm sure Weddle will be before the Vets arrive.:bolt: :icon_toast: :icon_banana:

26. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    :abq2: AJ ROCKS! :abq2:

27. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Adam Caplan of Scout.com is reporting that Siler signed a four-year deal with base salaries of $285,000, $370,000, $460,000 and $550,000. He also receives a signing bonus of approximately $43,000.

28. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    I may be reading too much into this with the signings coming all at once lately. I wonder if agents have learned that AJ means what he says when it comes to the bottom line, and deals just get done quicker than they used to. (of course having your highest pick at #30 doesn't hurt).

At least it looks like they will all be signed sealed and deliverd. Can't wait to see how they look in a few weeks!!!

29. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    This is excellent news! Thank you for posting it. I was caught up all day in an internal audit, and only had time to come out and spar with BSBB.

AJ is the man!