1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

EVP/COO Jim Steeg resigns from the Chargers...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Sydalish, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    ...last day is 3/31/2010 - says he wants to explore other chalenges.

Another departure that is troubling imo :( I cannot wait til the draft... at least then we'll have a better idea about WTF is going on down at Chargers Park.

http://chargersmedia.com/steeg-moving-on-to-pursue-further-challenges

Mar 16 / 12:17pm

Steeg moving on to pursue “further challenges”

Posted by email

San Diego Chargers Executive Vice President & Chief Operating Officer Jim Steeg announced today he is leaving the organization effective March 31 to pursue “further challenges.”

“I have decided that there are further challenges that I would like the opportunity to pursue during my professional career,” Steeg said. “Given my goals and aspirations, I did not think it was fair to Dean (Spanos) and the organization to begin the process of pursuing other career options while in my current position.
    “I have thoroughly enjoyed my five-plus seasons with the Chargers and am very proud of the accomplishments of the organization during this time. I will always be appreciative of Dean and the Spanos family for the opportunity I was given in 2004 and will continue to be available to help in any way I can.”

During Steeg’s tenure with the team, season-seat sales increased from 35,000 to 56,000 and the Chargers sold out 48 straight regular-season and postseason games. He played a key role in relocating the team’s training camp to Chargers Park, creating new radio and television partnerships, and the expansion of the team’s sponsorship and stadium revenues. His experience also was vital to the team’s American Bowl trip to London in 2008 as well as the organization’s successful 50th Anniversary promotion in ’09, including the selection of the 50 Greatest Chargers. Also in 2007, the Chargers were named the NFL’s most fan-friendly franchise for stadium parking and ambiance by FansVoice.com.

“I’m disappointed to see him go,” said Chargers President Dean Spanos. “Jim provided solid leadership and many bright, new ideas for our front office. I’m extremely grateful for his dedication and loyalty to the Chargers and our family.”

Spanos said that Steeg’s duties would be divided among the team’s front office leadership with the goal of “continuing the fine work that Jim did to improve the fan experience at our games.”

Prior to joining the Chargers, Steeg spent 26 years in charge of special events for the National Football League. He grew the Super Bowl from a championship football game to a week-long extravaganza featuring signature events, including The NFL Experience. He was the driving force behind Super Bowl charitable events that raised more than $50 million for host communities and impacted thousands of children. Steeg also launched and championed the Super Bowl Minority and Women-Owned Emerging Business Program in the early 1990s, mandating that whenever possible, the league and its various vendors and corporate clients work with local minority and women-owned businesses.

Beyond his Super Bowl duties, Steeg organized the NFL Draft, American Bowl Games in Berlin and Barcelona, and NFL television events. He also planned and executed the closing of Times Square and the Mall in Washington D.C., for NFL Kickoff Celebrations in 2002 and ’03. He chaired the NFL’s league-wide 75th Anniversary celebration in 1994 and Pro Football’s Greatest Reunion in 2000. He also initiated the return of Throwback Uniforms in 1994 and was among the inaugural class inducted into the Special Events Hall of Fame in 2002.

2. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    I hope this is a coincidence that he is leaving and not a "Rats leaving a sinking ship" kinda deal!

3. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,585
    Even if it weren't, you'd still say that it was. :lol:

4. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Despite what you think..I love this team..but I'm angry. And I, like everybody else deserves to be angry and vent a little on this forum.

I still have much hope for the future...but I can't say I have much faith...until I am proven otherwise.

I care enough about this team to point out problems if I see them in the hope that someone will provide me with a coherent arguement and prove I am mistaken..after which I will be more than happy to be proven wrong.

..you havn't done that yet...Fan boy

5. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Does he have any hand in player personnel? If not then I am not going to sweat it.

6. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    @SI_JimTrotter: Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.This is a HUGE blow to the team. HUGE.RT @Smallz_Raskind: was Jim Steeg the departure?

7. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,585
    Fan boy? :icon_rofl:

You're new here. I've RAILED on this team when they've lost in the past as well. Not just here, but on other forums as well.

You seem to take the doom & gloom into everything. I know it ain't all sunshine & smiles after a loss. **** needs to be changed. But I'm not going to order the pine boxes and dig the burial plots before the next season starts.

8. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    guys - we're all fans - lets try not to take arguments from other threads and spread them across the forum k? pretty please :D Only a few weeks until the draft and some of this speculation and overanalyzing can be laid to rest. :yes:

Losing Steeg is a big deal - he's been AWESOME for the team and I'm sad he won't be a part of our stadium efforts. The guy knows his **** and did a whole hell of a lot for the FANS in San Diego. Plus anyone who can rock a handlebar mustash has to be pretty rad right? :lol:

9. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    From my knowledge of Jim Steeg, he was great for the organisation. I was fortunate enough to meet him in Dallas last season, he seemed like a good bloke indeed. And yes, he carried that moustache well, although it didnt inspire me to grow one:lol:

10. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    Maybe Norv has a twin brother that needs a job.

11. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    He does....
    [​IMG]

12. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Jim is a pure gent and incredibly good at his job. He is a big loss to the org, and to us EuroBolts, he looked after us great. I wish him all the best.

13. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Fair enough...maybe I'm being a little too negative. But I believe that we are making big mistakes, so I'm not exactly going to be singing praises right now right?

14. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,585
    :icon_toast:

15. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    F-him.

He could not even make sure the parking lot crappers on gameday had been pumped out from the San Diego State games the night prior. :tdown:

Motorhomes were all restricted to one area of the parking lot. :tdown:

I could go on and on but in my book, Steeg is better off gone. :yes:

16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I don't think it's bad to express concern and/or disappointment of the direction this team is headed. At this moment, there isn't a whole lot to be excited about going into this season, except that we'll probably clinch our division again since the Retards, Quiefs, and Donks don't seem to be doing anything.

Maybe and hopefully that will change.

17. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,585
    The Donks are doing quite a bit. Maybe a little too much. Not enough to help them win, IMHO.

18. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Jim Trotter is everything Kevin Acee is NOT as a Chargers insider....Still...even away from the day to day with the team at SI. When he was the Chargers beat writer, he wasn't making wild predictions that were accurate only 50% of the time and was actually respected by the team who would give him much better insight as to what was really going on.

If Trot says he's a Huge loss to the team, this worries me about the direction we're going. I have ZERO confidence in AG Spanos from the few times I have heard him speaking.

19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    They are but I still don't think it's enough to get them past 8-8. 9-7 if they're lucky.