1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ex-Charger Harrison mulls future

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703

[​IMG]

By JIMMY GOLEN, The Associated Press

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. — Here's a sample, compliments of Patriots linebacker Pierre Woods, of what television viewers can expect when Rodney Harrison goes on the air:

"When you hit someone, you want their mommas to feel it."

Or this: "If you can't hit the quarterback, what are you doing out there?"

"I miss Rodney. I wish he was here," Woods said after New England's optional workout on Tuesday. "Wherever he's at, I'm sure he's going to be great."

The Patriots had a round of voluntary workouts this week and Harrison was not on the field at Gillette Stadium – or any field, for that matter. The two-time Pro Bowl selection, who worked for the NFL Network and NBC while injured last season, is expected to announce on Wednesday he is retiring to go into broadcasting full-time.

"I know he was pretty good on TV," Patriots linebacker Tedy Bruschi said. "The future's bright for him, no matter what way he decides to go."

One of the hardest hitters – some say dirtiest – in the history of the NFL, Harrison won two Super Bowls with the Patriots but missed the last 10 games last season after tearing a muscle in his right thigh. Injuries, along with a four-game suspension in 2007 for using a banned substance, limited him to 31 games over the last four seasons.

"You could tell when he came back (after an injury) that he was just happy to be on the field," Woods said. "You're not going to find any more Rodney Harrisons. They called him the dirtiest player in the game, but the guy played with a passion."

Not counting the drug suspension, he has been fined more than $200,000 in his career, including a one-game suspension in 2002 for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Oakland's Jerry Rice that cost him a game check of $111,764.

Harrison earned his reputation honestly; in poll after poll, opponents voted him the dirtiest player in the league. But his teammates loved him.

"He's out on the field, going full-speed all the time," Patriots defensive lineman Richard Seymour said. "If your top guys are doing that, it trickles down to the rest of the team."

Harrison was also a favorite of reporters, who knew he would be available and quotable, win or lose. Before the league announced his suspension on the eve of the 2007 season, Harrison scheduled a conference call and admitted he took a banned substance and apologized for being a poor role model for kids.

Such honestly also served him well as a TV analyst. After going on injured reserve last October, he worked for the NFL Network and on NBC's Super Bowl coverage.

NBC said Tuesday it will hold a conference call on Wednesday to announce "talent" for the upcoming season. NBC spokesman Brian Walker declined to comment whether Harrison would be joining the network.

Harrison, 36, holds the NFL record for defensive backs with 30 1/2 sacks and, with 34 interceptions, is the only player to have at least 30 of each.

"He'll be missed, believe me," Bruschi said.

Woods recalled joining the Patriots' defense as an undrafted free agent after the team won three Super Bowls in the previous five years and being told by Harrison, "You've got to be a dog out there."

"He'd want you to be a big dog," Woods said. "But even if you're a little dog, you've got to be a mean little sucker."

2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Where have all the good players gone? :icon_shrug:

3. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Thank You and Good Luck, Rodney! :tup:

4. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    He was my favorite player when he was with the Chargers. Gonna miss watching him play, even if it was for the Pats.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I know Rodney worked with the NFL referees once... maybe one day he can referee a game between the Chargers and Patriots... :icon_huh: :lol:

6. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Marty Schottenheimer never liked Rodney...:icon_evil:

• Like Like x 1
  7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    He's a DB!!! Glad he's no longer a Charger!!!

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Same here, Kwak. :tup:

He brought it every play. Old school. Phuc the haters & pussies who would put a red jersey on the QB's for the games.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers recall playing with - and against - Harrison

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Rodney Harrison made it official Wednesday, that 15 years as the one of the game's most ferocious and instinctive defenders was coming to an end.

“I am done, and I am very much so at peace with that,” the now-former strong safety said in a conference call with reporters. “Football has been good to me. I've worked hard; I've played hard. I've done some things that I never dreamt I could do, and now it's time to move forward to the next phase of my life.”

As Harrison made his announcement, one of his two former teams practiced at Chargers Park.

There aren't a lot of Chargers remaining from when Harrison played the last of his nine seasons here in 2002 – just Quentin Jammer, LaDainian Tomlinson and Jamal Williams.

Only Jammer was at Wednesday's workout.

“Everyone knows his play on the field was amazing,” Jammer said. “He was a different player on the field than off. People labeled him a dirty player. But he was one of the best dudes I've ever met as far as honesty and being a genuine guy.”

Harrison was released from the Chargers in the spring of 2003 as part of a salary dump and schematic change. He was a rookie during the team's only Super Bowl season, played in two Pro Bowls as a Charger and has the third-most interceptions (26) in team history.

His greatest achievements, however, came as a New England Patriot, with whom he signed in 2003 and spent the past six seasons.

Harrison, 36, won two Super Bowl rings with the Patriots. In nine postseason games with New England, Harrison had seven interceptions, tied for third-most in NFL history.

Even after playing just 41 games the past four seasons because of injury and a four-game suspension in 2007 due to a positive test for banned substance, Harrison retired with the NFL record for defensive backs with 30-½ sacks; he also has 34 interceptions, making him the only player to have at least 30 of each.

Those statistics might help get him in the Hall of Fame. But they are not what he'll be remembered for.

As Jammer alluded to, Harrison was known for play that many considered dirty.

In all, he was fined more than $200,000 in his career.

“People have called me a dirty player. I'm a very passionate player,” Harrison said Wednesday. “I also understand that this is not volleyball. This is a very violent, physical game, and if you hit someone in the mouth, you're not going to be their friend. That's what the game of football is.”

He had his admirers in San Diego, though.

Harrison faced the Chargers only twice as a Patriot, but his name still means something here even to those who were not his teammate and only played against him.

“For me, since I never played with him, it was knowing all the things he did for this organization and watching him play and knowing the impact he made at the strong safety position, which is not an easy position to make an impact,” tight end Antonio Gates said. “He was one of those guys you always needed to know where he was at. Even when he wasn't making all the plays anymore, you needed to know he could make them.”

Quarterback Philip Rivers appreciated matching wits with Harrison.

“You always needed to know ... whatever was drawn up on the blackboard, Rodney was going to play football,” Rivers said. “I don't care if he was the midfield safety or rolling down (for) run coverage, he's going to play what he feels and sees. That's what made him great and a dangerous player.”

As expected, NBC announced Wednesday that Harrison will join its studio show for its Sunday night broadcasts. Harrison worked for the network during the last Super Bowl.

Harrison joked at the beginning of his conference call that he had signed a two-year contract with the Patriots with the assurance he didn't have to report until September.

He quickly stated the reality and said later there is no chance of him coming back, a la Brett Favre.

“I respect people in the National Football League enough not to put them on this joyride, the back and forth, the ups and downs of 'Am I coming back?' and 'Will I not come back?'” he said. “I am done and I am always going to be a fan of football.”

10. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I loved him when he was with the Chargers... :abq2:

He only went to the Pro Bowl two times... :icon_evil: whats up with that... :icon_shrug:

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I used to like him till he started whining like a b****. He started whining to the press that the Spanos family didn't call him and congratulate him after winning a Super Bowl with the Patsies.

He's developed an attitude.

12. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Well, that alone speaks volumes as to how good a player he was.

Shotty was a putz.

13. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    100%! Dude was a player. :tup:

14. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    sfw?

15. RM24