1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ex-Chargers OC Frank Reich believes arrow pointing up for Melvin Gordon

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    http://espn.go.com/blog/san-diego-c...ich-believes-arrow-point-up-for-melvin-gordon

SAN DIEGO -- Although he struggled through a rookie season that ended without him scoring a touchdown, former San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator Frank Reich believes that running back Melvin Gordon will perform better in his second season.

Reich talked with Dan Sileo of The Mighty 1090 AM radio in this audio link.

"Certainly we didn't meet the expectation there," Reich said, when asked about his former team's inability to run the football in 2015. "As a coordinator going in I knew getting Melvin going was a top priority. When you pick a guy like that, you want to get him going.

"There were a lot of factors in it. To say it was one thing would be a great disservice. I thought as a staff we worked very hard to find ways to get him involved -- even in the passing game -- and I think he did a good job of that. At the end of the day, was it meeting expectations? No."

Reich was asked if the faster pace of the pro game shocked Gordon, and that he struggled with the speed of the game.

"I think Melvin was a pro," Reich said. "Now how fast did he see it? I see great upside. I think he's going to have a great career in San Diego, and be the player that everyone wants him to be. We all know his story -- that it seems the way things have gone for him, wherever it's been, it starts out a little slower.

"I don't know. I don't want to put that on him. There were a lot of factors. But I think the good news for San Diego is I think the guy's a stud, and he's going to be a great player."

Reich talked about being let go by the Chargers and finding a new home as the offensive coordinator of the Philadelphia Eagles.

Reich was hired by new Eagles head coach Doug Pederson. He said the two were teammates for a short time with the Carolina Panthers in 1995. Reich said the two would always talk for about a half hour before games exchanging ideas when the Chargers met the Kansas City Chiefs, where Pederson served as offensive coordinator for And Reid.

But the tough part of coaching is losing your job and having to start fresh with a new team.

"You go through this business as coaches and players with some incredible highs, and some incredible lows," Reich said. "And certainly this last year was an incredible low. We didn't meet expectations and it was hard. You pour so much into it, and that's why it hurts so bad.

"So you work as hard as you work, and you're working with great people and for great people, and you want to do it for the city. And when you don't meet those expectations, it gets pretty low. And it gets pretty lonely. But that's why it's not for everybody. And you have to be a big boy about it. You have to take the responsibility. You've got to take the hit, move on and learn from it."

2. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    Reich is a P-o-S. I give no credence to whatever he says. Why did he misuse Gordon so poorly?

3. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    The bigger question should be how the team was suckered into drafting Gordon and paying a very heavy price to move up two spots to get him? He will be out of the Chargers uniform in 3 years!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    A rookie running back in a new system with what was ranked as the leagues worst offensive line in the league. Oh yeah, and Reich was the OC...I'm willing to give Melvin another crack at it before I label him a bust

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    As if there's any other choice?!

The guy shows very little power behind the line and can't shake off the first defenders. This is NOT the trait of great-to-be NFL RBs. He seems to be decent in the open space.

6. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    The first defenders are four yards in the back field when he gets the ball lol. I thought he had a good game (probably his best) against Cincinnati early in the season before the line was absolutely decimated. I'm not saying he's Adrian Peterson 2.0, but I do think he can be successful in this league. I'm more worried about the fumbles than anything else

7. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    I'm not really worried about anything since I have written off both the Chargers and Gordon. However, I wish you luck and hope for your sake that he pans out.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,158
    It was just a "perfect storm" of bad:
    Reich is unimaginative or predictable 90% of the time,
    Gordon did struggle with vision much of the time, and obviously the fumbles hurt, and
    --most importantly--that o-line was just terrible: slightly sub-mediocre on a good (injury-free) day,
    absolutely horrible when hit hard by injuries.

So, will Gordon prosper?
    He seems to have a good work ethic, and head on his shoulders...and he certainly showed flashes.
    If the o-line is significantly upgraded, yes, I can see him still having a good rushing career.
    If, however, Telesco approaches the o-line personnel with the same philosophy he has the last 3 years,
    Gordon will never get a chance to grow...and he'll be remembered as a wasted pick (plus the 4th & 5th)... :(

• Like Like x 2
  9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Of course there is a choice! How many years in a row has the Browns taken a QB 1st over all?

10. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Could you have lowered the bar any less? :D

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Yes... I could have said I would switch to the Slobber and Crack as many other people have done here.