1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Examples Of Coaching Skills

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Gridreaper, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Yes, yes, another anti-Norvy thread but just as much a thread calling for A.J. and Spanos to do at least a little research before settling on a head coach for continuity reasons alone. A head coach doesn't have to be someone you can bully around and stand silent even if you pull off questionable personnel moves. Here's a quick look at 4 brand new head coaches with ZERO head coaching experience who are doing very well. Three of these teams were absolutely dreadful last year.

Tony Sparano...Miami Dolphins

2007 regular season 1-15
    2008 regular season 7-5

Mike Smith...Atlanta Falcons

2007 regular season 4-12
    2008 regular season 8-4

John Harbaugh...Baltimore Ravens

2007 regular season 5-11
    2008 regular season 8-4

Jim Zorn...Washinton Redskins

2007 regular season 9-7
    2008 regular season 7-5
    The Redskins 5 2008 losses consist of 2 to the one loss Giants, 1 to the Cowboys, 1 to the Steelers while also playing in the toughest division in the NFL. He also had to replace both the OC and DC.

How do you think Norv would have fared taking over these teams instead of inheriting a 14-2 team? He would have turned them into the San Diego Lions...that's how he would have done.

Here's a suggestion...hire a head coach with a spine. Find one who's a fiery leader who won't tolerate silly celebrations after making tackles after 3 yard gains. See if one might be available who can actually motivate and prepare his team. There are a lot of good candidates out there but you might have to do at least some semblance of research and analysis before making the hire. These are just four examples, Mike Tomlin, Ken Whisenhunt are two more. NONE of them have any head coaching experience as far as I know and I'd take any of them over the confused stumblebum I see moping on our sidelines.

2. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    These are great examples of First-Year, Mid-season successes.

:unsure:

3. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Mid to late season perhaps but all three of these teams might be play-off bound instead of scratching their heads wondering what happened to their so-called Super Bowl contending team. Three of these teams were misguided and positively woeful last year. Just out of curiosity, how many in here would replace Norv with any of them right about now?

4. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    True. Right now... everyone would replace Norv with any of these guys. Time will tell tho'.

Chemistry is a fleeting thing. How do you explain the demise of the Jacksonville Jaguars? :icon_shrug:

5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

bottom line, I hope AJ figures out what went wrong and tries to fix it

:tup:

6. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Jacksonville looks like the east coast Chargers :icon_huh::icon_huh: I'm just as confused about them as I am about the Bolts.

7. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    That's what I'm saying. It's tenuous. Success is hard to come by. Sometimes it's like catching lightning in a bottle (St. Louis Rams under Vermeil) and sometimes it's just a true harmony from top to bottom (Patriots under Belichick) that creates a sustained Superbowl caliber team.

Del Rio has not suddenly become a horrible coach. Or has he? His regular season record good and he appeared to have the team on the right track.

Norv's record has been bad, but even he appeared to have these guys on track for a big time run. Then.... pffffffft.

Speaking of "run"... look up and compare the stats from both the jags and chargers. Very similar in terms of where the problems lie.

8. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...There's no hindsight to it. I can remember exactly when and where I was when I got the dreadful news that Norv was chosen to replace the departed Marty. I thought the guy was messin with me and refused to believe him until I actually had verification. That's where I stood on Norv then and of course you know where I continue to stand now.

At least Jerry Jones had someone else in place that he was grooming for a future HC when he hired Wade Phillips. A.J. just has no plan, period!

9. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    See my Rivera thread. :yes:

10. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    no, no, I meant in regard to the new coaches. Not one of the GM's knew the guy they put in was going to have success so soon.

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    These are great examples but I have a hard time thinking we're in the same shoes as these teams. I guess because with the exception of the Ravens, the rest were doormat teams prior to last season.

12. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    And no one knows whether or not they can keep it up.