1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

'Excited' Gates Expects Return to Form

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltssbbound, Apr 30, 2012.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,357
    http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/apr/30/excited-gates-expects-return-form/

'Excited' Gates expects return to form

Antonio Gates dashes during offseason drills last week at Chargers Park. — John R. McCutche
    Written by

Michael Gehlken

5:47 p.m., April 30, 2012
    Antonio Gates feels like himself again.
    He walks without wincing. He can go places with his wife.
    The Chargers tight end is even back on the basketball court, competing in a local rec league.
    “We're undefeated, man,” Gates said Monday with a laugh. “That's all I gotta say.”
    At last, the most frustrating period of the All-Pro's career may finally be behind him. Gates has been a full participant in the Chargers' voluntary workout program, running and lifting with teammates for about the past week.
    Staying active, Gates says, is critical.
    Last year, he couldn't.
    The veteran was still recovering from a lingering plantar fascia injury, which sidelined him for six games in 2010. Due to the lockout, he couldn't receive treatment from team trainers, forcing him to heal independently from the staff that knew his body best.
    They're in his corner now.
    Gates used the word “excited” eight times during Monday's seven-minute conversation.
    Asked if his foot is feeling 100 percent, Gates smiled and said “we're getting there.”
    Asked if he expected the old Gates to return, the one who's dazzled year after year and routinely made men miss in the open field, he took it a step further.
    “It's definitely going to get back to that,” Gates said. “I think that's what makes me excited, coming to prove I'm still one of the elite guys at this position. That's the challenge for myself …
    “As you understand this league and you have experience, you understand how important the offseason is, and it definitely pays off dividends throughout the year. The fact that I am participating in the offseason program, coming here and working my tail off with the rest of the guys, that'll pay off throughout the season.”
    What Gates achieved last year, considering the circumstances, may be among the 30-year-old's most impressive feats yet.
    He wasn't cleared for activity, he says, until training camp.
    He started the season but missed three games during a month-long rest period, and although he returned, he didn't start feeling in shape until midway through the year.
    But he relied on his mental edge to catch 56 catches, 704 yards and seven touchdowns in the final 11 games, being named to his eighth consecutive Pro Bowl.
    Gates said he's “absolutely” stronger now than when the season ended, and through basketball, the former Kent State star is returning to his roots to help recover.
    “It's fun,” Gates said. “I'm not living my dream anymore. It's just for me to be stay active. I thought about doing it because I wanted to be in a position where I could continue to run, continue to make movements.
    “The similarities are still there between football and basketball — the cutting, the jumping and the positioning ... I just take it personal to come into training camp ready to go."

2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    Wait for it........................wait for it:whistling:

3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,609
    Hopefully he teaches Ladarius Green a thing or two, one thing he seemed to struggle with was getting seperation from DBs, a lot of his catches were closely contended.

4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,401
    I was hoping that he would return to form this season...... sounds like that's a real possibility now. :tup:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +442
    You referring to AG or Green?.

6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,609
    Green in college, against small school talent too.

7. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    I had been predicting chronic injury for the rest of career but he looked damn good at the end of last season. I might have to eat my words.

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Which condiments would you like readied? ;)

9. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +262
    I want to believe this guy can stay healthy, but I just don't see that happening... :(

10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,190
    That is what I thought about Anthony Gozales with KC. He has had quite a few productive years after I declared him washed up... So I'm hoping for the best but know his career is on the down hill side...

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,602
    Glad he's better and hope he can stay healthy and productive for a while

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,401
    Every player past 30 is on the downward slide....... not really going out on a limb there, Conc. :D

13. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,190
    When you are my size, any limb is going OUT on a limb...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,401
    Better stay away from eucalyptus entirely. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I should tell you my "possum in a dogwood" story some time ..... :laugh:

16. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    I think we all would love for Gates to be able to play every game this season, and next year and every game for the rest of his career. His presence on the field makes the defense have to adjust to him. That should help Rivers out tremendously.

17. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    All that's true...great presence...and I think there's lots more reason to pull for the guy:
    He's one of those awesome rags-to-riches UDFA stories, he is humble, acts
    genuinely fortunate to be playing in the NFL, always keeps his nose clean,
    and just seems like one damn nice guy. The kind of guy you just can't help
    but root for. Wish the league had a couple hundred more like Antonio Gates.

p.s. Perspective 101: If you got an e-mail that was said to demonstrate
    Favre being "Excited," would you open the attachment? :eek: (Tumescent soon?)