1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Excitement abounds during rookie camp

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Thursday, Jul 26, 2007
    By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com

The NFL’s reigning MVP, the 2006 NFL sack leader and 10 of his 11 2007 Pro Bowlers are still two days away from reporting to Chargers Park, but the thrill of getting on the field with his team was so great for Head Coach Norv Turner Wednesday that he was wide awake at 4 a.m.

“I’m not going to get any more excited than I was today,” Turner said. “In my mind we started this morning. I couldn’t wait.”

Chargers rookies, first-year players and select veterans were on the practice field Wednesday morning, officially signifying the start of the 2007 season. With so many core veterans returning from a 14-2 team, there was a business-like attitude surrounding Chargers Park that is sure to be present throughout training camp.

“The feeling is different only because I think it’s been a few years that we have had this good of a football team,” General Manager A.J. Smith said. “I’m really pleased with the talent level that we have. I think we have a playoff-caliber team. That means that you think you’re capable of getting into postseason play. Guys have been around, been together. We’ve got a lot of our players in tact. There’s continuity.”

Smith’s sentiments are echoed by the players, a group that understands the opportunity that is in front of them.

“We know what the expectations are,” quarterback Philip Rivers said. “There hasn’t been a whole lot of dialogue in the locker room about what we expect and all that ‘rah, rah.’ We know how disappointed we were last year with what we should have done. Now it’s a matter of getting back at it to get it done.”

When Turner looks at his team, he’s confident in the talent level, pleased with the depth, excited about the upside, but most happy with the attitudes his players carry into the new season.

“The feeling they have about what is ahead of them and what we can accomplish, that’s encouraging,” Turner said. “They’re ready to get to work.”

Over the next three weeks, the Chargers will lay the groundwork for what they believe can be another special season. Turner hopes to establish balance offensively and defensively. He’ll do so by pacing his team, emphasizing execution over repetition and pacing his team physically. The Bolts won’t hold two-a-days on consecutive days during training camp and they’ll spread out their work in pads.

“We’re going to get after each other and be a physical football team,” Turner said. “If I did it any other way, the players wouldn’t appreciate it because they know that’s how you win, being physical. I prefer to look at it in terms of quality instead of quantity. We need to go do the physical things you have to do to re-establish what we are, which is a physical football team.”

First showing

Cornerback Paul Oliver, who the Chargers drafted in the fourth-round of this month’s Supplemental Draft, was in lightning bolts for the first time Wednesday. While Oliver’s reps were limited due to his inability to participate in the team’s offseason program, Turner was impressed with his tools.

“I went over and intentionally watched our defensive backs during the individual period,” Turner said. “He’s extremely quick. He’s a big, physical guy. He didn’t get as much work today. He got in here two days ago and he’s trying to cram to get to where he knows what to do. He’s an impressive looking player.”

While most rookies reported on Tuesday, Oliver arrived in San Diego Monday morning and spent two days taking a crash course in the Bolts defensive playbook with secondary coaches Bill Bradley and Kevin Ross.

“I’m just glad to be here working,” Oliver said. “I’m doing everything I can to get caught up so that I can hopefully contribute as soon as possible. I think things went pretty well today and they’ll get better as I keep working.”

“McKay Drill”

Turner was asked Wednesday if he’ll keep in place the popular “Oklahoma Drill” that the Chargers have opened training camp the past few years. Turner needed a little clarification with the name.

“I coached at USC in the ‘70’s and they used to call it the John McKay Drill,” Turner said, referring to the legendary Trojans coach.

Turner won’t open camp with the high-contact drill that helps players learn about leverage and pad placement. He will however utilize it in brief periods throughout training camp.

“We’ll do it in different spots,” Turner said. “We’ll do it in the middle of our practices, but it won’t be the way we start our first practice.”

This and that

- Former Chargers linebacker Lew Bush is back with the Bolts this summer working as an intern with the NFL’s Minority Coaching Fellowship.

- Cornerback Anthony Arline was place on the Reserve-Did Not Report list after failing to report for training camp.

- Rookies will be back on the field for a Thursday morning workout. They’ll also practice Friday morning before being joined by the veterans, who report to camp Saturday. The team holds it’s first full-squad practice at 4 p.m. Saturday. Fans are invited to attend the workout.

http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/excitement-abounds-during.htm

2. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Sometimes when I drive my car I just look up at the sky and pray for the Chargers to win the Super Bowl.

3. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I can't believe the season is beginning. Way excited. :flag: :bolt:

4. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Took incredibly long for it to happen, too. I've been going over that Rivers to Jackson td (Seattle of course) in my head a thousand times over and I'm ready for more.
    :abq2: :abq2: :abq2: :abq2: :abq2: :abq2: :abq2:

5. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Me too :bolt: :yes: :bolt:

6. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    When do the rookies report? LOL...Damn I'm excitied...I just wish we could go right to the playoffs...