1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Expanding season, economy discussed at owners meetings

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Posted: 11:03 a.m. Monday March 23, 2009

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell was upbeat but realistic and vowed the league would not just play defense but go on the offensive to fight a struggling economy.

He told owners today they need to recognize their way of doing business might have to change, and the message seemed to be positively received by the multimillionaire owners assembled at a posh seaside resort in Dana Point.

"I think he's right," Houston Texans owner Bob McNair said after the 90-minute address, which also featured updates from key league vice presidents. "... We've got the strongest brand going, but we've got to protect it."

A key going forward, McNair said, will be offering "more value to fans."

As part of the means to that end, the owners, who gathered again shortly before 11 a.m., will discuss expanding the regular-season schedule. No vote will come out of this three-day gathering, not even anything close to a consensus. But a move to a 17- or 18-game regular-season could come as soon as 2010.

Among the issues the league would need to assess before adding regular-season games is the wear and tear and injury concerns of a longer season. It would likely alter roster sizes and how coaches prepare their teams and try to keep them healthy throughout a longer season.

2. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    March 23, 2009 2:49 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

DANA POINT, Calif. -- Some early afternoon thoughts from the NFL owners' meeting where team officials are currently locked inside conference rooms.

The NFL is implementing a new policy that will stop teams from going from the Eastern time zone to the West Coast more than once a year.

Thus, teams from the East Coast will not have to fly out to both San Diego and Oakland in the same season. New England and the New York Jets had to make those two long hauls last season. The Patriots lost at San Diego and beat Oakland. The Jets lost both West Coast trips.

Meanwhile, the Broncos were hoping to host the second game of the "Monday Night Football" doubleheader on opening weekend, but the team doesn't expect it will get the game. The doubleheader games are expected to be announced later Monday afternoon.

The coolest scene so far: Oakland owner Al Davis and Dallas owner Jerry Jones laughing it up. The two are known for having their own styles but it was clear they have a strong respect for one another from observing their interaction.

3. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    But of course nothing will be done to prevent San Diego from having to fly all the way to the East coast more than once a year.

Obviously they can't do the same thing for the West coast teams, as there are too many East coast teams. So since that's the case they should leave **** alone. Of course, the NFL has to make sure they tongue the Patriots and Jets.

Complete bullshit.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    The Monday night doubleheader on ESPN on Sept. 14 will feature Buffalo at New England, followed by San Diego at Oakland.

DANA POINT, Calif. - The NFL announced seven games for the 2009 season on Monday afternoon. Three of the games involve AFC West teams.
    The San Diego Chargers will visit the Oakland Raiders on Sept. 14 on the back end of a Monday Night Football doubleheader on ESPN. Kickoff is at 10:15 p.m.

5. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    There's really no other way to put it. :tdown: East coast pansies.

6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654

Add value ? Are you kidding me. :lol:

These owners would not know how to "add value" to save the F'n corporate lives.

How about a list of suggestions if anyone gives a fat rats shaven ***.

Lemme start: :icon_twisted:

1. Lower the ticket prices

2. Give us more tailgating time versus taking it away.

3. As cheap as Gene Klein was an owner, he at least had "give aways" at the end of the season. How about paying someone's mortgage off at the end of the year? Maybe even one years worth of home mortgage payments? Klein would offer the fans cars, trips to Hawaii etc etc after the last home game but you had to stick around as a season ticket holder. That would get attentions. How F'n hard is that ?

4. Biiittches (big boobed ones :yes:) selling beers/cokes in the stands.

5. More "roving fan bands" sponsored by the Chargers. The fan bands I saw for the Texans were da chit. They got the parking crowds pumped for the games plus all the musicians had these cool beer cup holders on swivels.....

6. How about taking a dozen fans/season ticket holders or so on every away trip FREE.

7. How about a sky box reserved for deserving fans sponsored by the Chargers.

8. How about cleaning out all the parking lot toilets after the SDSU games for Chargers fans? This has been going on for years. No one checks to make sure the shitters get pumped out. Calling on Mr. Spanos since you know what construction site shitters smell like after they have overflown their banks.

9. Get rid of ACE Parking.

10. Bigger HIGH DEF jumbo trons. Those jumbo trons look like **** and there are better ones out there but - you know - that is all we get as fans.

11. How about a new stadium since the Murph is embarassing to this community ? Mr. Spanos has never even offered to pay for the land the stadium would sit on in Mission Valley yet expects it for free......

I could go on for days but why ? Every year the Chargers stall in getting a deal done lowers the amount of jack they need to spend to exit San Diego. The buyout drops dramatically .... tick tock tick tock tick tock ....

Value ?

My ***. :bolt:

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    a friend of mine wrote a great blog post on this, please check it out:

http://www.ams2fx.com/2009/03/yes-there-is-east-coast-bias.html

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Nice article... I'm amazed something so blatantly biased does not get any negative publicity from those west coast teams who are abused yr in yr out playing at 10am PST after travelling west to east.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    How can they have one rule for east coast teams and another for west coast teams:S

Utter Bullshit and Bias

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Don't like it!! :tdown:

If they're really concerned about the economy, try something like these...
    * 20% off any NFL merchandise with purchase of direct ticket
    * $15 Parking instead of $25
    * free soft drink or water at gate
    * hotel deals for people attending the game out of town
    The list goes on but 18 games isn't going to benefit anybody!!!

With that said, to all of you bringing up the Chargers having to fly all the way to the East coast... would you please shut the Hell up?!!!

Raiders have to do it and so do the 49ers. That didn't stop them from winning Super Bowls!!! Stop looking for excuses!!!

There is absolutely NO excuse for this franchise to suck as bad as it does and it sucks!!! Though it can change. Bucs changed their suck *** franchise... HELL, EVEN THE CARDINALS CHANGED THEIR SUCK *** FRANCHISE!!!

Stop blaming decades of suck on the East Coast, NFL, the city, fans, or what ever else you can think up. Face facts... good or bad franchise is the work of the owners!!!

11. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    I gave up on him ever having anything intelligent to add to the discussion, so I don't read his bullshit any more. How did he get from expanding the season and the economy to "there's no excuse for our franchise to suck so bad?"

12. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Shut your piehole and learn to read.

No one is looking for an excuse as to why we haven't won a championship since the AFL days.

We're just ticked off at the blatant east coast bias - it's annoying. This franchise hardly sucks, get a freaking grip man.

• Like Like x 1
  13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I don't care how the NFL slants the rules, until our team stops plying like a bunch of nice guy's we ain't going nowhere anyway. I don't mind rough play that's get's flagged, just win the damn game. Screw all this choir boy crap bring out the thugs. :tup: :icon_toast:

14. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    And for gawd's sakes... get these guys back on the steroids!! :icon_party:

15. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    Here here!

If it sucks to fly back and forth, it should suck for everyone. The NFL should not be creating rules to make life easier for a handful of teams, and to hell with everyone else. That's all I'm saying.

16. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    ok - i am going to say this super duper simple for you.

we (a group of posters) were here (on this message board and in this thread), having a conversation about how annoying it is to us that the NFL will make rules benefiting ONLY east coast teams.

that is not an excuse. it's a complaint. it's a gripe.

no one ever said it kept us from winning, we only said that it is just as much of a disadvantage (if not a bigger disadvantage) for a west coast team as it is for an east coast team to fly across the country and we think it's stupid and lame that the nfl is making rules which only lessen that disadvantage for some teams and not ALL teams.

got it? or do i need to draw you a picture?

stop hijacking the thread and go ***** about the owners or aj or norv or whomever you're hating on this week in an appropriate thread por favor.

p.s.

BRB Gotta Pee :icon_tease:

17. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    All the NFL's talk about the economy is pure bullshit. It's all lip service. The NFL isn't struggling at all. They're using the economic slow down as a chance to cut some salaries from their budget and to paint themselves with a pretty color in the public's eyes. But it's a total farse.

18. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Schedule debate

By Kevin Acee

To hear owners and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, the change to a 17- or 18-game season is inevitable.

Head coaches, however, seem uniformly reluctant, if not entirely opposed.

"We're all creatures of habit," Turner said of head coaches. "We've had this system for so long -- four preseason games and three weeks of camp. There are other ways of doing things. If it did change we'd be the first guys to adjust and adapt, and two years after that we'd be saying, 'Why haven't we been doing this forever?' "

The move to an extra game or two in the regular season would change the timing of training camp and length of the preseason, as well as perhaps changing the size of active rosters and rules regarding injured reserve.

"All those things have to be taken into account," Indianapolis coach Jim Caldwell said. "Everything you do is going to have to be reexamined."

The topic has just begun being discussed and likely would come up for a vote as part of the new collective bargaining process.

"It's come upon the head coaches really quickly," Tennessee coach Jeff Fisher said. "We're reluctant to discuss it."

Coaches need to assess and accept the possibility soon. The league just began officially analyzing and discussing expanding the schedule at the owners meetings this week. But the owners are clearly leaning toward the move and could vote on the issue as early as May.

19. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I do not like adding games for the simple fact it screws around with the records. Going to 16 games was hard enough and leave the OT rules alone.

How about adding value by not forcing season ticket holders to pay for meaningless pre-season games ? Bastards.

20. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    Any time the NFL starts making rules that only benefit certain teams, that's just bullshit. All teams should be treated equally under the rules, and there should be ZERO rules that only benefit certain teams.

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I understood it just fine but that doesn't mean I have to agree with it.
    Making up excuses just isn't my thing.

22. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I don't care what they do as long as I don't know about it. I'm from the old school, take the penalty save the score. I don't care what the foul is, just win the damn game and no one will remember it.:tup:

23. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Obviously you didn't :lol:

When you actually know what an excuse is, come back and try to make a point. Until then :wave:

24. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    DANA POINT, Calif. | The Chiefs agreed to contract terms today with veteran offensive lineman Mike Goff. Goff has some versatility and could wind up starting for the Chiefs at center or right guard.

The 33-year-old Goff played 11 NFL seasons, the first six with Cincinnati and the last five with San Diego. He has been a starter for the past nine seasons.

25. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    So, the NFL is going to mandate this happen in every city? How is the NFL going to dictate what the city does regarding parking or concessions inside the stadium? Or what the Hilton or Marriot charges on game weekend?

26. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Um... he's not into making excuses. Just get it done. :lol:

27. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    If you're going to a game in Buffalo, they could give you a flyer with ticket purchase about Hilton or Marriot. They could also mention it on the team's website. Have it be something like you present your game ticket at check in.

And NFL could mandate many things. That's what they do. What do you think yesterday's purpose for the meeting was?
    I also mentioned that the list goes on. Since they're so concerned about the economy, there are plenty of things they could do but more games isn't the answer IMO.

28. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Build 16 new stadiums in Mexico City & make everyone travel. :icon_eek:

Home games will be provided by NFL Ticket. :lol:

29. BLITZED56

BLITZED56 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50
    :lol::lol:

30. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    This isn't some communist state (for the time being ..) .. I guess they could make NFL team's provide vouchers if fans were going to buy tickets from their website .. but, I don't think the NFL will have much luck mandating how concessions are run in a stadium or how much parking is going to be .. when you start messing with city revenues, you are going into dangerous areas.