1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Expect Chargers to franchise VJ

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Feb 10, 2011.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Expect Chargers to franchise VJ
    BY KEVIN ACEE
    WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 9, 2011 AT 4:18 P.M.

Thursday begins a two-week period in which NFL teams can place the franchise tag on a player, essentially assuring that player won’t become a free agent and will be part of their team in 2011.

Maybe.

The NFL Players Association says teams have no right to a franchise tag since the current Collective Bargaining Agreement will expire March 3. The NFL says the franchise tag is included in the CBA under which the league is operating.

The Chargers, officially, have not made up their mind regarding whether to place the tag on wide receiver Vincent Jackson. The team’s personnel people have been meeting this week to decide the makeup of the team in 2011.

However, it has been known for two months that General Manager A.J. Smith has been leaning toward keeping Jackson another year.

Jackson, according to someone familiar with the player’s thinking, expects the tag and plans to play for the more than $10 million it would guarantee him.

That is, if the franchise tag is part of a new CBA.

“If there is no CBA (come March 3), the franchise tags will be meaningless,” NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith said last week.

It might all be semantics since most people expect the franchise tag to continue in the new CBA.

Teams are allowed to designate one player scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent with the franchise tag. That guarantees the player the average salary of the top five players at his position but prevents him from hitting the more lucrative free agent market.

If a team places the exclusive franchise tag on a player, that player cannot negotiate with other teams. The non-exclusive tag, however, allows the player to negotiate a long-term contract with other teams, the caveat being that a player’s original team is entitled to two first-round draft picks from any team that signs the player.

The franchise tag is generally applied to a player a team wants but is either uncomfortable giving a long-term deal or cannot reach agreement with on a long-term deal.

The Jackson situation features a little of both.

The Chargers value Jackson’s game-changing ability but are unwilling to pay him what he is seeking, a price that was $50 million over five years with $30 million guaranteed last year and is certain to rise.

Jackson’s 2,888 yards led the Chargers from 2007-09. But he has been arrested twice since 2006 for driving under the influence and on the morning of the team’s 2010 playoff loss to the New York Jets was detained and charged with driving on a suspended license.

Jackson was suspended by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell the first three games of 2010 for violating the league’s personal conduct policy.

The 28-year-old receiver did not report to the Chargers until Oct. 30, however, following a lengthy contract impasse. He had initially planned to sit out the entire season in protest over the Chargers one-year tender of $3.268 million and refusal to work out a multi-year contract. Ultimately, upon advice of the NFLPA, he reported in time to be on the roster for six weeks, which guaranteed his unrestricted free agent status. Jackson ended up playing in four games, catching 14 passes for 248 yards and three touchdowns, making $280,823 in the process.

Should Jackson get another DUI (or get in any trouble the league deems detrimental) his punishment could be the loss of game checks or another suspension.

Franchising Jackson ostensibly gives the Chargers another year to evaluate whether he can stay out of trouble, though a major shift in the thinking of the team’s decision makers would have to occur for Jackson to ever get a long-term deal in San Diego.

A team can structure a deal that partially protects them in the event a player runs into trouble. But teams are limited, essentially, to recouping a limited portion of a signing bonus.

The Miami Dolphins last April gave Brandon Marshall, who had multiple run-ins with the law and had been suspended, a five-year $47.5 million contract that only really guaranteed him $9.5 million. If they choose to pay him a $3 million roster bonus this year, which they are expected to do, it will also guarantee his next two years’ salaries and bring his three-year guaranteed total to $25 million.

The willingness to pay Jackson more than $10 million for one season but not over the long term indicates the Chargers, like many teams, simply do not want to invest that much in a wide receiver.

Instead, the Chargers likely will pay Jackson for 2011 and then let him walk, receiving what would probably be a third-round compensatory draft pick.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/feb/09/expect-chargers-franchise-jackson/

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    History of AJ's dealings shows that it is 50/50 tag or let walk. IMHO.

3. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +349
    I hope they franchise him at the last minute to teach him a lesson!

4. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Tag and trade.

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Just get off the damn fence. Either commit to VJ or let him walk. The indecision can't be good for the team.

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Bottom lining it. I agree. Either you want him or you dont. If you are concerned about off the field activities, put the language into the contract to control that. If you want to make sure he produces, put incentives in. But drop a duky or get out of the outhouse.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I agree with this because let's be honest, last season did nothing but further the question as to whether he can be relied on. He was injured more then in years past (yes that can be chalked up to lack of training camp) but just because he spent half of a year where he was being watched without doing something boneheaded, and promised he'd never do it again, doesn't mean there aren't concerns about his off the field behavior. I'm sorry but unless you can specifically put forfeiture clauses against this AND HAVE VJ SIGN THAT (ay there's the rub), this is the best option. VJ shows he can do it again he gets a big contract. He doesn't he's gone

8. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    And this right here is why AJ will always be a horrible excuse for a GM
    The guy has NO IDEA how to get value out of players he has no intention of holding on too

He could of easily traded Brees for a 1st rounder after his breakout 2005 season, and everyone knew once rivers got here that brees was NEVER going to be in the long term plans. So why not trade him? Nope let him leave and get a ****** comp pick for him (Anthony Waters?)

Why not trade for Michael Turner for a 2007 1st Rounder when you already knew you wanted another high pick to use on weddle?? The titans were clearly interested and would of given up a 1st rounder for him. Instead AJ gave up 4 picks to get weddle, kept turner for ONE YEAR, let him leave and got a 4th round comp pick for him (gartrell Johnson?)

Its been mentioned for years that merriman isnt in the long term plans, so why not trade him?? Im sure at one point we could of gotten a 1st for him, more likely a 2nd rounder, but still, AJ kept him for a couple years (both injury plaqued) and then cut him, nothing in return.

Now hes gonna make the same mistake with VJ. When will this ******* idiot ever learn?? I mean at some point, shouldnt he realize how stupid this theory is? Isnt that the definition of insane?? The guy is such a joke, and the entire league knows it. Thats why Agents hate dealing with him, and why all other GMs rape him every year at draft time (minus the rivers trade). I mean how many draft picks did he gave away last year in all his wheeling and dealing during the draft? Traded up for Mathews, traded up for butler, traded up for Cam Thomas, really, was all that necessary?

As sad as it is to say, the chargers will never win a super bowl with this joke as a GM

9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    What an ultimate coulda woulda shoulda in 20/20 hindsight post! Now allow me to let my AJ apologist flag fly high.

Michael Turner: Sure enough LT did get injured and Turner got his shot in the 07' playoffs. Had Rivers not been hurt and we'd won the game, keeing burner may be regarded as one of the most brilliant moves of AJ's carrer.
    Merriman: He was only 25 when we drafted English, its hard to give up hope on a YOUNG guy you spent a 1st round pick on who may still have upside.
    Brees: Had he not torn his arm off like a chicken leg he may still be here today, don't be so sure that AJ was always dead set on Rivers.

I think when your in a Super Bowl window its hard to get rid of proven talent like these guys. And I think when your as top to bottom talented as everyone thought this team was, its hard to find guys who have a realistic shot at making the roster so you overcompensate to get guys you like (IE: Matthews, Butler, Thomas).

10. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings:
    +4
    Trade him for D players. Or draft picks. U got 3-4 Wr on each play. Only 1 needs to be open. If u have 1 bad DB u team done for. If u have 4-5 superstar DB u will win many more games. Not only will u get lots picks then u can have u offense on short field running the ball in with tough WR's who cost less and block way better than premadona Wr's. Only a very few WR's are willing to put their heart out on running plays or even to support fellow WR's.

If I was Chargers HC my D would be the best in the NFL by years. It would take them up to 5 years to figure out why our D was so brilliant. Then our offense would be amazing in it own unique way, that would be at the top of tech. If u cannot or unwilling to block on my team u would be gone reaL quicK.

11. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I didn't bother reading the rest of your quote. What was this team like (telent wise) before AJ and how has it been since? enough said

12. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Realistically, VJ is likely going to get the Sproles treatment. Tagged this year and won't get an extension unless it's at a deal that severely in the team's favor. Depending on what state our WR corps comes out of 2011 free agency and draft in, he may be tagged again in 2012 (assuming a new CBA has a franchise tag which IMHO is a safe estimation because it's only in the interest of the richest 20% of NFL franchises... and the most elite 10% of players in the PA to not have a franchise tender of some kind). And then, after the team has another prime option at WR - be it Floyd finally turning the corner and staying healthy, Tutu blossoming, or some unknown we've yet to acquire - VJ will be let to go his merry way.

I'm expecting AJ to "Whitehurst" one or both of Jackson and (ironically) English in this year's draft. I doubt that he'll spend a 1st doing so, but one of our 2nds or 3rds to bring in someone to put pressure on English to step up and perform for his spot or to essentially be to Jackson what English was supposed to be to Merriman (the heir apparent/insurance policy).

13. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    From what I understand a player has to be under contract with a team that is trading them. So a Ftag on Vjay is no shocker to me. I still would rather he was gone. Sproles too he has gotten his last massive payday from this team imo.