1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Expectations

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Nov 20, 2011.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814

ex·pec·ta·tion   [ek-spek-tey-shuhn] noun

1. the act or the state of expecting: to wait in expectation.

2. the act or state of looking forward or anticipating.

3. an expectant mental attitude: a high pitch of expectation.

4. something expected; a thing looked forward to.

5. Often, expectations. a prospect of future good or profit: to have great expectations.

6. the degree of probability that something will occur: There is little expectation that he will come.

7. Statistics . mathematical expectation.

8. the state of being expected: a large sum of money in expectation.

Ok boys and girls here is the problem with us........our expectations.

2110 - 9-7 no playoffs

Q - What made us think that this team would be better than the team that we had last year?

A - The media hype.

This team has declined over the last couple of years. Blame the players, the coach, the GM, and the ownership.

Fact is.. the window has closed. We are relying on journeymen players to fill holes and hoping that injury prone players will stay healthy.

We now need to switch to rebuilding this team. Can this be done with our GM's draft philosophy? He steers away from drafting players that have been top performers to take lesser known players that "could" play a role. He calls them value depth. As you can see when more than one starter goes down we are left with these players. If they are not serviceable we grab the nearest FA that is on the couch. I am not sure how much credit that Buddy Nix deserves for our previous drafting success? I wonder if Buddy's drafting skills turned AJ into Gawd?

Do we think that AJ and Norv deserve to have another year at the helm? If so do we really think that it can be turned around in a year? I for one do not. We of course do not have the power to make these decisions. I believe Spanos will delay the inevitable and give them another year.

What we now need to do is convince the media that this is nowhere near a Super Bowl caliber team so that we can go into next season with realistic expectations.

• Like Like x 1
  2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    I guess it's back to being Cellar Dwellers for another 10 years. At least we had good run. :(

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
  4. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Good points. However, I don't think the expectations set by the media (and just about anyone with an opinion) were mis-placed. Last year was so freaky with its terrible special teams.

I guess I no longer care what the reason. Expectations or no, this is unacceptable. Simply not good enough and its gone on long enough that a change needs to be made which effects the entire makeup and personality of this team.

5. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    They're doing a fine job of convincing me....maybe the media will follow.
    BTW, I had given up on Norv after Week 3? win against KC. Yeah, after a win.
    I knew what was in store for us fans...in my head the rebuilding had already began.

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Every team has injuries and that is a given. Every team needs to find scrubs to come in at some point and contribute but teams like the Steelers have such a strong core that when a player goes down its not as obvious as the Bolts.

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Exactly. What ever happen to AJ's philosophy of "Line em up 3 deep and let the compete"? We aren't even two deep at most positions. The depth on this team is terrible, and we have journeymen players all over the field, especially on defense

9. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Exactly, when Butler died he said that AJ was ready to take over and be a GM. What the hell did AJ exactly learn? IMHO I think if AJ didn't reach for Hester and Mathews we would not have this problem. I do not think it has ever occurred to AJ that this team was built on TRADING DOWN not up. Every time a team trades up they are giving up many quality players.

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Some times it works, some times it doesn't. Remember that back in 03(I think) we traded back to get Sammy Davis and Terrance Keil instead of taking Troy Palamalu. Trading back can hurt you, but I agree that we should NEVER trade up

11. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    yeah, I remember that. Butler was doing such a good job that it was really hard to be critical. I do not think for one sec that Butler would have moved up for Hester or Mathews. I am not even sure he would have selected Whitehurst in the 3rd.

12. starry

starry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    I didn't expect that much. Certainly I thought the playoffs would be a possibility as the division has been quite weak but I didn't expect much beyond that.