1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Explanations abound for A.J.'s decisions

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Explanations abound for A.J.'s decisions - SignOnSanDiego.com

MY WORLD — Sometimes I don’t know enough, sometimes too much. In this case, I just knew.

Sitting there last Sunday night with my son John watching former Chargers clipboard holder Charlie Whitehurst quarterback meek Seattle over meeker St. Louis and into the NFC playoffs, it came to me. “Oh, no.”

I was going to get e-mails from angry Chargers torch carriers saying General Manager A.J. Smith screwed up again, that he shouldn’t have traded Whitehurst to the Seahawks and instead gotten rid of Philip Rivers. John said it never would happen.

Kids of today. All he can say now is: “Amazing.”

Elementary, my dear son. It was expected. Rivers was out of the playoffs and there was his former third-string running mate leading the preposterous Seahawks into January. So this became the latest in a long line of Smith screw-ups.

As we speak, A.J. is less popular here than sewage spills. A shame. Since he took over in 2003, his teams have gone 80-48. What a disaster!

In the case of Whitehurst, Smith was brilliant. Charlie never had lifted his arm here in a real game and wasn’t going to. Smith moved up 20 spots in Round 2 of the 2010 draft for swapping Charlie to Seattle, which enabled him to jump up in the first round and draft tailback Ryan Mathews, who has a chance to be a star. He also got a third-round pick this year.

A great trade. Whitehurst never was going to be anything more than an August quarterback here.

He was efficient and didn’t screw up against the Rams, but he wasn’t Tom Brady. If he’s the answer, tell me why Matt Hasselbeck, bad hip and all, is starting Saturday’s playoff game against New Orleans. Well?

Anyway, it got me to thinking about other players — some of them very good — Smith either has allowed to leave or traded away during his eight years as GM. (Junior Seau and Rodney Harrison left before John Butler’s death, so they may not qualify under Smith’s watch, but the release of Harrison was premature, a mistake.)

Drew Brees. There are more misconceptions over Brees than any player. Smith obtained Rivers in 2004 because Brees was awful in ’03, throwing 11 touchdowns against 15 interceptions and losing his job to Doug Flutie, who couldn’t play anymore.

That Brees came back with a Pro Bowl year doesn’t matter. They’d already spent a fortune on Rivers, who was going to be their quarterback of the future. The problem I have with Smith is that he held onto Brees another year and the QB damaged his shoulder in the final game of 2005. Smith could have traded him at the end of ’04 and got something big in a quarterback-deprived league.

Remember, only one team, New Orleans, was willing to take a chance on Brees. He would have been hot the year before.

Michael Turner. Smith should have gotten something for him (why does Bill Belichick always get high draft picks when he rids himself of players?), but there was no way the talented tailback was returning in 2008 after being franchised the year before.

LaDainian Tomlinson was the NFL’s leading rusher in 2007. No chance he was leaving then. And Turner was going to demand an awful lot of money to remain a backup.

Lorenzo Neal. My personal favorite, in that so many fans believe the Chargers’ running game/franchise/spirit/karma went south because the fullback departed after 2007. LoNeal is a great guy and was a team leader, but he wasn’t what he was when he left here.

Kassim Osgood. He left on his own accord. They loved Kassim — as a special teamer. But he wanted to go to a club where he could catch passes, so he went to Jacksonville, which offered him less money than San Diego. Osgood caught six passes for 60 yards and a score this past season — and made 12 special teams tackles, his lowest total since 2006.

Of course, the torch carriers believe Osgood would have made every special teams play had he stayed here and saved the season. Please explain how a gunner could have stopped those blocked punts.

Tomlinson. It was time. LT had a nice year with the Jets, gaining 914 yards and scoring six touchdowns. His replacements here, Mathews and Mike Tolbert, combined to rush for 1,413 yards and 18 touchdowns. The Chargers rushed for a total of 1,483 yards last year (LT getting 730), 3.3 yards per try. The 2010 Bolts totaled 1,810 from scrimmage, 4.0 yards per rush.

Shawne Merriman. Once a great player. Don’t know if his leg injuries ever will allow him to again find that explosion. He drove Smith crazy. Smith doesn’t like to be driven crazy.

Antonio Cromartie. A magnificent athlete and latter-day Father of Our Country who had one terrific year simply because of that raw ability. It’s doubtful he ever will be a great player. His matador tackle whiff in the playoff loss to the Jets punched his ticket out of town.

There you have it. When Whitehurst gets to Canton, send me more e-mails — or whatever it is the angry villagers will be sending by the Twelfth of Never.

2. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13
    What an off the wall article from Canepa. He gets one nutty email and it's an article? Geez.

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Dude, Canepa is a hack just like Sullivan and Acee. The UT has some of the worst sports writers in the industry. The last time they had a good one, he got a job offer to leave the UT for Sports Illustrated. Since then, all they have are guys who suck up to the teams they cover in hopes their 'access' doesn't get limited.

The 1st time one of these guys says a derogatory word about AJ, like most East Coast papers would be saying right now, they would lose all access to the team they cover

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I thought it was funny and a pretty fair indictment on the knowledge levels of some of our "fans"

5. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    so in order to be a good sports writer you have to critize the team? if you agree with some of the thing the teams does then you're a hack and a suck up?

That doesn't apply to this forum, you critize the team more than most and still suck :icon_tease:

btw, I hate Trotter, he seems butt hurt

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Right on the nose!

7. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +635
    damn, that seems more painfull than butthurt

8. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Damn, is his nose butthurt?

9. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +635
    beat you to it :D

10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Actually it's a fairly good article and is dead center on some of the criticism in this very forum, that I am guilty of myself. Truth hurts and those that throw stones are the ones hurt most by the truth, other try and see the ways of their wrongs.

11. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13
    It's b.s. He takes the most extreme, insane email he gets and commits a column space to it when it doesn't even warrant recognition. Someone is hardup to fill his space.

12. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    How ridiculous. Why waste the effort.

13. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings:
    +4
    Kinda sad how most our fans don't like our coaches. Things will change for the better!One day we will have a new owner who is richer and smarter. One day we will get a top coach who comes here for the weather. For now we can all share in the jealously of the 49ers new exciting pick-up. Even if he fails the 49er fan base has to be totally excited. This is why we all hope for a new coach. If he admits failure then ppl would be looking at his job...

Basically when u miss the play-offs u should always get a new HC. Seriously unless they won a SB u don't ever do nothing. - continuity LOL. We have done worse each year under Norv? Keep going on a down hill spiral to what? This is foolish business to keep a coach the fans don't like. Ticket sales will be the worst they have been since they hired him i predict. See if my 4th prediction is wrong friends. So far im 3/3 100% right.

14. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +275
    I know I'm stupid for asking but where do you get your screwball ideas?

15. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    By looking at the grammer, and spelling, I am wondering where he got his edumacation...??

• Like Like x 1
  16. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    So NE should've got rid of Bellichek a couple years ago? Got it

17. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    Yet another of many AJ kiss up articles. Take for what it is a joke.

18. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    The article is spot on. It just goes to show that a lot of fans are fickle, impatient and have unrealistic expectations. It's always easier to point out the bad than it is to point out the good.

A lot of times it's a no win situation, you look at the LT/Turner deal. I mean who wanted to dump LT a year after his record breaking year in favor of Turner? Very few, yet then you have people coming out of the woodwork when Turner is doing great and LT is struggling and they claim how AJ is an idiot for letting Turner go. It isn't just that easy, yes Turner was a good back up but so was Jesse Chatman and that dude flamed out.

19. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I agree with alot of this. People need to relax; agreeing with moves made by aj does not constitute sucking up if that's what you believe. The article is right about alot of these situations and it's nice to see some standing up for aj and not just criticism. I think people also forget this offseason picking up Patrick crayton and antwaan barnes and Kelly Washington and pat Watkins

20. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    Me thinks the answer is contained in the question.

21. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    It's like someone just opened the window in a small, dark and smoke-filled room, letting the fresh air and sunshine in... and the JohnnyX's out.

22. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    What a joke...The article spans a couple of years under AJ's Rein. Talk about 1 dimensional. Where is the MM & VJ aspects or letting Donnie Edwards go etc..