1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Extra runs for Darren Sproles

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Christopher Smith, Chargers.com
    Posted 4 hours ago
    8-5-2010

The speedy Sproles delights fans with his bursts and explosion during practice, but they aren’t just for show. The extra effort helps him prepare for the regular season.

SAN DIEGO – Darren Sproles[​IMG] crouched 50 yards downfield, a ball of kinetic energy in waiting.

Once the kickoff settled into his hands, like an elastic band, Mighty Mouse jolted forward. Weaving through traffic, his feet churned as if the grass were hot coals.

The sight of Sproles gliding downfield has been a fan favorite at training camp, inducing strong applause at the open practices. But look close and you’ll see his cheeks bobbing with each step.

“When you get tight, that’s when you pull a muscle. You want to stay relaxed,” Sproles said.

His smooth, streamlined running form would make track coaches across the country smile. Sproles credits the sport, which he started at eight years old, for his acceleration and turnover. A portion of that also comes from his ratio of fast-twitch muscles.

Because he doesn’t overstride, Sproles always is ready to change direction, which, along with his short stature and powerful body, makes him one of the more elusive players in the league.

One of the better kick returners, he became just the ninth player in NFL history to return a punt and kickoff for touchdowns in the same game (vs. Indianapolis, Nov. 11, 2007). Sproles also has leveraged his speed to average more than 10 yards per reception for his career out of the backfield. He’s been named a Pro Bowl alternate in each of the last three seasons.

“You know if someone’s right in front of you and they just take off like a Speedy Gonzales?” linebacker Jyles Tucker[​IMG] said. “Like a blur. (Sproles is) that fast.”
    Sproles makes a concerted effort to extend his runs into long sprints during practice, giving fans a further look at his running style.

“You always want to finish your runs with a touchdown or a positive gain. That’s what I’ve been doing since Pop Warner,” he said to explain the tradition. “It would make a difference (if I didn’t run extra). When I get in the game, I might get tired faster. I might not be able to finish, so that’s why I try to work on it in practice.”

2. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Go Sproles!:flag:

3. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Remember when we all thought Sproles was getting cut the year he came back from his broken leg.

4. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
  5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    :no: I never boarded that wagon... I believe Gramps learned the roor of his ways by having to adopt Sproles... :lol:

6. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    I remember that haha. Mighty Mouse FTW!!! :abq2:

7. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Arriba! Arriba! Andale! Andale! YEEHAH!

8. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Tank Rocks!

9. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :lol:

cut him

10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I wanna put him on my lap and give him everything he wants for Christmas.

• Like Like x 1
  11. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    :icon_rofl:

12. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171

I was at that game against Indy and what a fun night. Trumpy and EC will both vouch that I called it

Good times. :icon_party: :bolt:

13. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Thinkin' he's a keeper for this season...

14. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Might get interesting when we see enough of Shawnbrey to compare the both of them.