1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Extremely early look at the 53 man roster - Post Draft

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MadMike, May 5, 2015.

1. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    So the draft is behind us and now its time for us to make insanely early guesses at who/what our 53 man roster will look like. Here is my guess for the 53 man, 8 man practice squad, that UDFA that makes it every year, and potential vet cuts:

Offense: (24)
    QB-Philip Rivers, Kellen Clemens (2)
    RB-Melvin Gordon, Danny Woodhead, Branden Oliver (3)
    FB/TE-David Johnson (1)
    TE-Antonio Gates, Ladarius Green, John Phillips (3)
    WR-Keenan Allen, Malcom Floyd, Stevie Johnson, Jacoby Jones, Dontrelle Inman, Tyrell Williams (6)
    LT - King Dunlap, Chris Hairston (2)
    RG - Orlando Franklin, Craig Watts (2)
    C - Chris Watt, Trevor Robinson (2)
    LG - Jeremiah Sirles, Johnnie Troutman (2)
    RT - DJ Fluker (1)

Defense: (26)
    RDE-Corey Liuget, Mitch Unrein, Darius Philon (3)
    NT-Ryan Carrethers, Sean Lissemore (2)
    LDE-Ricardo Mathews, Kendall Reyes (2)
    ROLB-Jeremiah Attaochu, Kyle Emmanuel, Tourek Williams (3)
    RILB -Manti Te'o, Kavell Conner (2)
    LILB-Denzel Perryman, Donald Butler (2)
    LOLB-Melvin Ingram, Cordarro Law (2)
    RCB-Jason Verrett, Patrick Robinson, Craig Davis (3)
    LCB-Brandon Flowers, Stevie Williams (2)
    FS-Eric Weddle, Darrel Stuckey (2)
    SS-Jahleel Addae, Jimmy Wilson, Craig Mager (3)

Special Teams: (3)
    PK-Nick Novak (1)
    P -Mike Scifres (1)
    LS-Mike Windt (1)
    KR-Jacoby Jones, Chris Davis
    PR-Chris Davis, Keenan Allen

Practice Squad: (8)
    Ben Beckwith
    Titus Davis
    Brock Hekking
    Adrian Phillips
    Eric Frohnapfel
    Javontee Herndon
    Cameron Botticelli
    Tyreek Burwell

UDFA to make the squad:
    Tyrell Williams. Dude has Randy Moss measurable, his 3 cone time at the Oregon St. Pro day was the fastest in the country. He played for a small school but WR translates a lot better from small schools. Think this kid could be a diamond in the rough. His tape is insanse.
    Could also see Titus Davis push for this spot as well.
    Brock Hekking is intriguing as well.

Veteran Cuts:
    Donald Brown (Saves 3 million after June 1st).
    John Phillips is a possibility as well (Saves 1.5 million after June 1st).

I also assume TT brings in a veteran D lineman and O lineman post June 1st to compete, and possibly a TE and WR. This would change this list most likely. The practice squad is changing in my mind every 5 minutes so feel free to let me know who you think we would keep.

• Like Like x 2
  2. MadMike

Ratings:
    +504
    Just a follow up, post June 1st Donald Butler goes from being a 15 million dollar cap hit to a 3 million dollar cap savings, which puts him squarely on the chopping block should he show up in TC like he played last year.

3. MadMike

Ratings:
    +504
    And there is the TE depth: Chargers claim Kyle Miller TE (Falcons) off waivers, release Damik Scafe to make room.

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Agreed. And it would open up $10M in 2016 cap,which will go a long way into resigning Rivers, Weddle, and Liuget.

5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Offense: (23)
    QB: Philip Rivers, Kellen Clemmons
    RB: Melvin Gordon, Danny Woodhead, Branden Oliver, Donal Brown
    WR1: Keenan Allen, Malcolm Floyd, Dontrell Inman
    WR2: Stevie Johnson, Jacoby Jones
    TE: Ladarius Green, Antonio Gates, David Johnson, David Paulson
    LT: King Dunlap, Chris Hairston
    LG: Orlando Franklin
    OC: Chris Watt, Trevor Robinson
    RG: Jeremiah Sirles, Johnnie Troutman
    RT: DJ Fluker

Defense: (27)
    RDE: Corey Liuget, Mitch Unrein, Darius Philon
    NT: Sean Lissemore, Ryan Carreathers, Tenny Palepoi
    ROLB: Jeremiah Attaochu, Kyle Emanuel, Colton Underwood
    RILB: Donald Butler, Manti Te'o
    LILB: Denzel Perryman, Kavel Conner
    LOLB: Melvin Ingram, Tourek Williams, Codarrow Law
    LDE: Kendall Reyes, Ricardo Mathews
    LCB: Brandon Flowers, Patrick Robinson, Chris Davis
    FS: Eric Weddle, Darrel Stuckey
    SS: Jimmy Wilson, Jahleel Addae
    RCB: Jason Verrett, Craig Mager

ST: (3)
    LS: Mike Windt
    PK: Nick Novak
    P : Mike Scifres

Where I Bolded is where I think we upgraded or remained good enough

Some notes:
    Offensively, I think many are overlooking the upgrade we got by landing Stevie Johnson and he will quickly become a fan favorite, though not a true number 1, he was asked to go against some of the best CB's in the league and made them look foolish on many accounts due to his Savvy route running. I expect He and Allen to line up on 2 WO sets with Allen kicking to the slot when they run 3.

I see the roles for Green and Gates to switch, For one, the Chargers need to see what Green can do when he becomes the number 1 TE while keeping Gates fresh leading down the stretch by only using him on 3rd down and red zone situations.

Our Running back core has gotten stronger with Gordon and Woodhead, while Oliver comes in sparingly for a couple carries a game. If injuries should arise, he has proven to be one heck of an insurance policy for a couple games stretch. I believe Brown remains on the team as a reserve who will see time on ST's and maybe carry the ball a couple times a game.

If healthy I truly believe our offensive line will be better than last year. Dunlap and Franklin will be solid on the left side, the Center is a question but I believe with a full year under his belt he'll dramatically improve. Expect Fluker to be improved this year as well.

Defensively, Our line may scare the :poop: out of most by just looking at it on paper, but our depth has improved. I expect to see a heavy heavy rotation here, trying to keep all the players as fresh as possible for the 4th qtr as they were in the 1st. 60% of the time we were in 4-3-4 or 4-2-5 sets so it's possible they favor the DE's more than the true NT's.

Butler may have been dealing with injuries all last season, There is no way a player stinks up that much after signing a contract like that (especially how it favors the teams side if he should fail to live up to his contract) I expect he and Perryman see early downs while Te'o and Conner come in for nickel packages (again heavy rotation)

There is no doubt about it, our DB's have gotten much improved and deeper in depth (yes even with the addition of Craig Mager) I believe they felt that the injuries that came down the stretch in the secondary truly hurt them.

Conclusion:

With Philip Rivers at the helm we have a chance to win every game, adding a Gordon just makes them that much better, we've all read the stats and seen it first hand how much better this team is offensively and defensively when we control the time of possession. This team can compete with any team in this league, injuries and depth riddled their hopes for the playoffs, not being able to convert in the red zone hurt their hopes for the playoffs.

Last year

we ranks 10th in passing yards, 30th in rushing, 17th in points per game

4th in passing yards allowed, 26th in rushing yards allowed and 14th with points allowed per game (identical average to what we scored) meaning if we run the ball effectively, convert 3rd downs, score TD's we'll be just fine

6. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +136
    I agree with almost all of this. I basically have the same lineup as you do in terms of the roster. Though I put Brian Parker in where you have David Paulson. Parker is freakishly athletic (at 6'5" 265, he has a 39" vert, runs a 4.7, and has a 7 flat second 3 cone) and has the size and catching ability that is going to scare teams, he can develop as a blocker, but he's going to be a good one IMO. He honestly looks like the older version of gates when he plays, incredible at separating over the middle and using that "box out" move and extending and catching the ball away from his hands.

I think its more likely that we keep Greg Ducre on with us than Chris Davis. I really didn't see anything from him that would lead me to think he's worth keeping TBH. Also how the hell is he Ducre on the Chargers, didn't he sign with the Redskins last year off our PS, why is he back with us.....

I'm similarly REALLY high on seeing what Colton Underwood can do, because he's got a ton of athletic ability, can be a solid pass rusher. If nothing else, I think he's going to be a very good STer. I think that him and Curtis Grant battle it out for the last LB spot, as both are plenty athletic for their positions, its going to be who the better STer is.

The other thing I'm not sure about, is that we end up keeping both Tenny Palepoi and Philon. It'd be a stretch to see us carrying 8 DL IMO. I could see us carrying another WR like Titus Davis or even Tyrell Williams (like Charles Johnson for the Vikes last year, where he would be just too athletic to try to stash on the PS, a team with bad WR's would scoop him up on their roster to try to develop). And with how old our WR's are, it'd be tough not to get at least one developmental young guy on there.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    I actually had Titus Davis slotted in at WR but opted to got with Palepoi only because my thinking would be the heavy rotation used on our DL to keep our guys fresh and heathy. But i agree we need to take and develop a young WR for next year and the future.

I'm sure the team is still really high on Tourek Williams but I can easily see him being replaced by Ryan Mueller if Mueller looks like he shows any signs of high upside. Only advantage Williams would have would be veteran depth.

8. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +136
    It seems like the plan may be to make Mueller a FB. He's listed as a DE/FB on the roster at least, which seemed weird to me. No way they give up on Williams yet, as a guy TT and MM have talked so highly about. I think he may be just one of those "last one on the roster" type guys just for the mentality and identity of this team. But I think 7 guys on DL is more than enough for that to get done. Thats more than double the starters, and since we kick OLB's into a "DE" type role for 4 man fronts, there's going to be a lot of 2 DL looks, so 7 is probably even a bit excessive. We carried 7 last year, and 6 the year before.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Perhaps he's getting a feel for the L.A. crowd?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    The Clippers used to be in San Diego

11. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,024
    Yeah, around the same time as when Rivers was getting used to his potty training ;)

12. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729

Paraphrasing what one of the announcers said, "Who says Rivers won't go to L.A. for a game?"

• Like Like x 1
  13. MadMike

Ratings:
    +504
    Barksdale signed, so I expect the next pre-training camp signing to be a D lineman.

14. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Evan Mathis was released today, very interesting.

15. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    Not sure what his asking price is, but I'd be interested. Anything that could make us better and deeper overall I would look into. I do however think the OL is set after our last addition, but if adding a caliber player like him means pushing a potential starter to the bench to add quality depth and more flexibility on the line then sure. Downside to that could also be cap spent to a position riding the pine when we would like to see some added depth to the DL and LBs position.

The last ex-Eagles OL worked out pretty well though....

16. MadMike

Ratings:
    +504
    FYI, this was my final 53 right after the draft, pre-Barksdale and pre-Gates PED, notice my 6 receivers and the UDFA I picked to make this squad!!!!!

• Winner Winner x 1