1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

F-18 Crashes into University City (San Diego Neighborhood)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by rexy2006, Dec 8, 2008.

1. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Military jet crashes into University City neighborhood

By Angelica Martinez and Debbi Baker
    UNION-TRIBUNE BREAKING NEWS TEAM
    and Steve Liewer
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

1:45 p.m. December 8, 2008

UNIVERSITY CITY – A military plane crashed into the San Diego neighborhood Monday afternoon, sparking at least one house fire, according to preliminary reports.
    The pilot safely ejected from the aircraft, but there are no reports about injuries on the ground.
    Marine Corps spokesman Jay Delarosa confirmed the plane was a two-seat F/A-18 Hornet, from the 3rd Marine Air Wing's training squadron, which was returning from a training mission at the time of the crash.
    He said two pilots ejected safely and have been picked up by military officials. He said the squadron includes both Navy and Marine Corps pilots, but he didn't yet know the identities of the pilots or what service they come from.
    Eyewitness Gary Flynn said he saw one engine lighting up with flames and the plane was flying fairly low. Then, just as it started to go down, he heard explosions, saw an ejector seat pop up and the parachutes.
    Shelby Lovitt, a senior at University High school, said she heard a loud boom just before noon and then saw a plane go down. She said she also saw someone eject from the plane with a parachute. She ran out into field and saw black smoke and flames.
    The school has been locked down and no one is allowed to leave, she said.
    Thick, black smoke could be seen rising from an area north of Governor Drive and west of Interstate 805, according to eyewitnesses. That smoke turned white as the firefighting effort began.
    Massive traffic jams have snarled traffic in the area, making it difficult for firefighters and police to reach the neighborhood, according to witnesses.

[​IMG] Breaking News Team: (619) 293-1010; breaking@uniontrib.com
    Editor's note: The previous version of this story stated that two pilots ejected. There was only one in the plane.

2. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    F-18 Crashes into Univ City neighborhood

Can a mod please change the headline to a "San Diego" neighborhood?

kthxbai:tup:

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929

I heard the jet come screaming in around noon but didn't hear anything afterwards. Thought it was just hot dogging or something. The jet crashed on the east side of UC around Govenor and the I-805. Its also not too far from where UC High School is.

Scary stuff but it doesn't appear (pray to G-d) that anyone was hurt.

4. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842

This is close to you I know.:icon_eek:

How close would you approximate?

5. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
  6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929

Governor Drive runs west to east the length of university city with Genessee Avenue splitting it down the middle. This happened on the east side University City around Governor close to the 805. I'm down by the 5 on the west side of Governor. To the location where they say it crashed that's 5 minutes tops by car.

I heard there were two fatalities - damn RIP. Condolences in my community

7. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
  8. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    I know the Jet was flying out of VMFA-101. It’s a training Squadron at Miramar and this jet was being used so that the Pilot could get qualified to fly off the carrier.

From what I understand the pilot rode the jet as far as he could, and he punched out at the last second. He missed University High School, thank the lord for that.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and the loved ones of those that did not make it.

9. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
  10. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    I used to live close to where the plane went down. On Teasdale Ave.

11. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
  12. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Tragic and sad...RIP

13. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,028
  14. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    3 killed when military jet crashes into University City neighborhood

By Angelica Martinez and Debbi Baker
    UNION-TRIBUNE BREAKING NEWS TEAM

and Steve Liewer and Tony Manolatos
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITERS

SAN DIEGO – Three people in one home were killed Monday when a Marine Corps fighter-bomber crashed on a residential street in University City and careened into four houses, sparking an intense fireball that spewed thick black smoke.

The victims were a mother, one of her children and the child's grandmother, said Maurice Luque, a spokesman for the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department. A search for a possible fourth victim in the same home, a child, was suspended at 6 p.m. Monday and will resume Tuesday morning, he said.

Luque said the plane landed on Cather Avenue and plowed into a house at 4416 Cather, which is where the victims were found. The plane then careened into the house next door on Cather, then struck two homes on Huggins Street, behind Cather. No one in those houses was injured, he said. Four vehicles on Huggins Street were destroyed.

The pilot of the troubled jet had been headed for Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, about two miles from the crash site. He ejected safely in a canyon moments before the plane went down shortly before noon.
    The pilot told several witnesses that the jet lost its first engine over the Pacific Ocean, and a decision was made to try to return to Miramar MCAS on one engine. The second engine failed when the plane was on final approach, he said.

The pilot was taken to San Diego Naval Medical Center, where he was listed in good condition Monday night, said Sonja Hanson, a hospital spokeswoman.

The aircraft, a two-seat F/A-18D Hornet, was from Marine Fighter Attack Training Squadron 101, part of the Miramar-based 3rd Marine Air Wing, said Capt. Stephen Paap, a Marine Corps spokesman.

The pilot was en route alone from the aircraft carrier Abraham Lincoln, operating in the Pacific Ocean off San Diego, Paap said.

Dennis Connor was on a hill in University City when he saw the plane flying slow and low at a 45-degree angle. The jet came in over some rooftops and clipped the top of a tree before slamming into the pavement on Cather, he said, leaving short skid marks.

Connor said the plane was just seconds from the ground when the pilot ejected, landing in a canyon a few blocks from University City High School.

“He was trying to get (the plane) to the canyon,” Connor said. “He held on as long as could. At the last second, the pilot parachuted out.”

Steve Diamond, a retired naval aviator, witnessed the crash and went to the aid of the pilot, whom he described as a Marine Corps lieutenant in his 20s. Diamond said the pilot told him about the jet's engine problems.
    Connor said the plane was smashed to pieces, with a turbine from an engine the only part that Connor said he could distinguish. A box of electronics was atop some shrubbery.
    “Everything was just mangled aluminum,” he said.

Scott Bloom, a Washington Mutual employee, was on his way to visit clients on Huggins Street when he saw the pilot eject and then heard a loud explosion.

“(Huggins) Street was completely filled with flames and black smoke,” Bloom said. “There were cars on fire and subsequent explosions.”

The ejection seat landed a few doors from Paulette Glauser's house. She ran into her yard, and said people were “running down the street, panicking.”
    About 100 firefighters and police officers converged on the neighborhood. Authorities concerned about possible toxic fumes evacuated about 20 homes, but county hazardous materials officials later said that air quality in the neighborhood was normal.

Students at University City High School heard the explosion, and several said they saw the pilot eject.
    The school, which has 1,851 students, was put on lockdown until 2:15 p.m, when students were allowed to leave as scheduled, said Jack Brandais, a spokesman for the San Diego Unified School District.

Brandais said three elementary schools, a middle school and a charter school in the University City area were not affected.

Nicole Harris was teaching a physical education class outside at nearby Doyle Elementary School when she saw the pilot eject. Even before he bailed, she sensed that something was wrong.

“The plane was really low and it was quiet,” Harris said. “Usually, they're (military planes en route to Miramar) so loud, I have to stop teaching.”
    Nora Bhes, who lives a block from the crash site on Cather, said the impact “sounded like a huge thunderstorm.”
    Pia Mantovani-Sud was inside her house at 4411 Cather when she heard the plane crash across the street.
    “I heard a boom boom boom ... I came out and saw my neighbor's house on fire,” she said.

Mayor Jerry Sanders, Police Chief William Lansdowne and Fire Chief Tracy Jarman viewed the wreckage before addressing the media Monday afternoon.

“My heart goes out to the families of the victims,” said Sanders, who described the scene as “horrific.”

Col. Chris O'Connor, commanding officer of MCAS Miramar, said at the news conference that the cause of the accident was being investigated.

A Navy official said the Abraham Lincoln has been conducting carrier qualifications off the coast of Southern California since Friday. During these drills, pilots must demonstrate their skills at both day and night carrier landings.

The F/A-18 debuted more than 20 years ago and is the workhorse of the Navy and Marine Corps fleet. The twin-engine aircraft is capable of flying at supersonic speeds.

The age of the aircraft that crashed isn't known, said Maj. Jay Delarosa, a Marine Corps spokesman, but the Navy and Marine Corps have been flying Hornets since the late 1980s.

15. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    'A Navy official said the Abraham Lincoln has been conducting carrier qualifications off the coast of Southern California since Friday. During these drills, pilots must demonstrate their skills at both day and night carrier landings.'

This is rather odd to me. I have pictures of this carrier off the coast of Oceanside this past Saturday morning, conducting these drills.

:icon_sad:

Not odd. More of a coincidence.

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    An older cousin of mine married a Navy aviator in the early 60's. In 1965 he was flying out of Oceana Naval Base in VA Beach when his instrumentation & flight stabilizers went out. He was over Norfolk, so did not eject & attempted to land the plane. He was killed in the crash, but averted a situation like this one. His son was < 1 yr. old - never knew his father. :icon_sad:

While I certainly don't know details, I hope that this pilot did everything in his power to get the plane away from a populated area before ejecting.

Prayers to all who were lost. RIP.

17. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072

Rexy, they are doing this almost all the time. And VMFA-101 is a Training Squadron, the Pilot was still learning how to fly the F/A-18 and he was trying to get Carrier qualified.

18. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,028
    By the time they get around to CarQuals - they are already quite proficient at flying. ;) (H8er, I know you already know this - just offering a bit of "expansion" on your post. ;)).

Also for the folks outside SD, here is a follow-up on this incredibly tragic story:

Crews Search For Child In Home Destroyed By Fighter Jet

19. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Tragic,

takes me back to the days when I worked in Sorrento Valley and lived in Santee.

Saw my share of F14s crash in the day

Saw the aftermath of a F8 land in Kyocera's parking lot.

That dude followed that plane in until the last second. Put in right between two buildings full of people. He survived but was injured pretty good waiting so long before he punched out.

Go speed to the family that lost their loved ones

20. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
  21. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    So sad :( my thoughts are with the family and with the pilot - from what I've read he was trying to put it down in the canyon just beyond these houses. he almost made it... :(