1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

F++king Direct TV

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltssbbound, Oct 28, 2007.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Did anyone else have a problem seeing the Chargers on Sunday Ticket today? It said the game was not available in my area, which was BS because I live in San Jose AND the game was a sellout. It wasn't blacked out anywhere. I called Direct TV and argued with one customer service person and three managers about the fact that the game should be on. They kept insisting that the game could not be shown due to blackout restrictions. When I explained the blackout rules to him, one of the managers told me I was wrong and that the game had been blacked out nationally. Finally, after an hour on the phone with Direct TV, the game came on, even though the Direct TV people I talked to insisted that the game had been blacked out at the stadium by the NFL and they weren't even receiving the feed. These guys were completely clueless. When I explained that I pay $200 a year just to watch the Charger, one of the managers said, "Well, you should be aware of the blackout rules." I missed the first quarter and a half of the game. By the time the game came on it was 21-3. :icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Damn, that sucks, dude. I'm in VA - no problems getting the game via NFL Ticket.

Time for a nastygram, I'd say. :icon_evil:

3. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    We had the same experience and we were going apeshit- I had a house full of people. And yes they are complete dipshits at Directv. :tdown:

Missed the whole first quarter. :icon_evil:

4. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402

Nope, it was on local TV here in Vegas on CBS.

As far as i know, the Chargers never have been blacked out here on Sunday ticket. When it isnt on local TV here, i go to Michaels Pub and it is on everytime there.

5. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    The game was on local CBS and on DirecTV HD here in Austin with no issues. :icon_shrug:

Seems like they screwed up there and nobody knew what to do for the first quarter. :tdown:

6. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171

I'm glad you called to raise hell as well and I had to give the phone to my buddy before I hurt somebody's feelings. That sucked and I barely remember the first half (I'm sober BTW) as I was pissed. I know Kwak was having problems as well. That said it is the first time I've ever had any problems but somebody fuced up bigtime.

7. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    But we did get to see one of Cro's TDs as well as Chambers' TD (I was begging for a Chambers TD). :abq2::abq1:

8. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    I couldn't agree with you more.

Did you get connected to the call center which has to be in Pakistan or India? I always have a hard time understanding them.:rolleyes2:

9. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Kwak is in the Bay Area, and he also had a problem.

No problems here in Texas. I can copy the game for anyone that wants it. $29.99 + shipping and handling ... and $5000 boltbucks. :D

10. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I want one when they go on sale for free. I forgot to Tivo. :icon_sad:

11. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    i thought the hole reason to get Sunday Ticket was that it didnt matter if it wasnt soldout and blacked out you still got to see the game:icon_huh: couldnt you see it w/ the texans announsers?
    to would think w/ all the fires in SD they would be dieing to show the game to show how evertything/ everyone in SD are couping. :icon_shrug: what a buch of a-holes

12. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I can copy a VHS for you. Let me know if you want it.

13. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    I can burn a dvd for you. If interested, let me know.

14. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +684
    Blackout rules apply to DTV NFL Ticket. I went from 1 st lvl CS, to Tech lvl 1, then to tech level 2 and had the person check the status of the blackout in our area. She put me on hold and 30 secs later the feed started.

When she came back she said the system did not have us in a blackout status. DTV fuc'd up and flagged our game as a blackout in the bay area market.

My guess is that enough peeps called in and someone finally got to the right gear head to flip the switch.

Going to fire up the BT so I can see the first Q.

15. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    I did have this problem, but we got it on cbs as well, so no problems. I always set my tivo to record mulitple feeds of the game, HD, regular, different channels, so I always have a backup.

bummer dude. Next time try the networks, and the non-HD feeds.

16. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    btw I am in SF... so you should've got in on CBS.

Horrible announcers btw.

17. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I was so angry that I'm not sure I did any good. The first DTV CS person I spoke to said that she could not help me but that she'd transfer me to the "NFL Sunday Ticket Department." She transferred the call, the line rang a few times and a woman answered, "Thank you for calling DTV CS, how can I help you" I asked if this was the Sunday Ticket department, and she said, "We don't have a Sunday Ticket department." I said, "Then why did the first CS person I spoke to told me she was transferring me there?" And her reply was, "I never said that." I explained that there was another person that told me that. I asked, "If you guys don't have a Sunday Ticket Department, why did the other woman tell me that she was transferring me there?" She said, "How would I know why she would say that?" I said, "Because you guys both work for DTV."

When I told CS lady #2 my problem, she said, "The game must be blacked out in your area. The NFL, the Texans and the Chargers reserve the right to black out the game at any time for any reason." I explained to her that that was not true, and that the blackout rules were very explicit. She just told me I was flat out wrong. Finally I said, "Can I please speak with someone else who might know more about the problem I'm having." She said, "I don't have the ability to transfer you to anyone else." "Then how did the other CS person transfer me to you?" I asked. She said, "I don't think she did." By that, I guess she meant that she thought I was making the whole focking thing up, but I didn't bother to challenge her on that point.

Finally, I asked to speak to her manager. He came on and told me the same bullshit about blackout rules. I told him that I was well aware of the blackout rules, and that the game should not be blacked out. I told him that there had to be someone there with the authority to flip a switch and turn the game on to the bay area market. He said, "When the game's blacked out, we don't get access to the feed. The NFL blocks the signal at the stadium site." I told him, "That's not how it works. Games are never blacked out to the whole country, only the local home market, so DTV always has access to the signal." He replied, "Don't tell me how this works, sir. I know how it works. I've been doing this for twenty years." Frustrated, I explained to him how much it meant for me to see the Chargers and how I pay a couple hundred bucks every year just to see a few Chargers home games that I would not otherwise see. I asked, "What is DTV going to do to make up for the fact that they are depriving me of seeing something I spend good money to see?" His response was, "We are not going to do a damn thing sir. The game is blacked out."

It was when I was on the phone with the CS manager's manager that the game came on, so I just hung up.

I'll say it again. F++k DTV. It isn't rocket science to figure out which games to blackout. A sold out game should never be blacked out, and furthermore, a game in SD, sold out or not, should never be blacked out to the Bay Area. I hate DTV. The only reason I put up with their crappy product is Sunday Ticket.

If you read this whole diatribe, you deserve some of my bolt cash. :abq2:

18. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    It was not on CBS or any feed until the 2nd quarter.

19. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +684
    Local broadcast CBS 5 had the Raiders Post game. Bolts were not on CBS.

20. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    While I am at all the home games and some away games, I do have direct tv's nfl ticket and I know that if the game is on local stations in LA, then direct tv is blacked out. I'm assuming that the game was not being carried by your local cbs station. If it wasn't, then the game should have been on the nfl ticket on direct tv.

21. scottbbo1

scottbbo1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    I had no problem getting the game on my Sunday Ticket here in Sacramento but it wasn't on CBS.the only time the bolts are ever blacked out here is the faider game in Chokeland.

22. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    It was not on Sunday ticket, nor was it on CBS. DTV totally phucked up and blacked out the game to the Bay Area until a couple minutes into the 2nd quarter. By then it was 21-3.

23. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    sounds like someone was just asleep at the wheel. If your job is turning on the switches at direct tv on sunday afternoon, chances are you may not be the sharpest tool in the shed.

I think the best thing to do in that case is call in immediately so someone can correct the situation, if possible. WAKE THAT GUY UP!!!

24. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I called immediately and got the run around. No one knew what to do or who to call.

25. mizzouchargerfan

mizzouchargerfan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13

that game was no sellout, there were hundreds of empty seats, and I live in Mizzou and it came on just like it was supposed to. If Direct TV ever pull that crap with me, they would lose a patron:icon_tease:

26. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Officially, the game was a sellout. The empty seats were because people were allowed to get refunds for their tickets due to the fires.

27. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Sorry you guys got black'd... that sux.

You should move to the mighty metropolis that is CHICO. I've never been screwed by the Ticket. We get blacked out, but only at the bars... those $2 Sierra pints can really hit ya' hard some times. :icon_party:

28. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18

I have SUnday ticket...but in our area (Bakersfield) it was being shown on CBS, so I don't know.

29. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I read your whole diatribe :yes:

The thing is, A few years ago I worked as tech support for a dial-up ISP, yeah, I was the Indu guy (actually it's it Tijuana) that took your job, and no mather how much our supervisors told us "treat the customers problem like if it where your problem" some CS guys only care about finishing the call, problem solved or not :tdown: