1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Faiders To Release JaMarcus Russell?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by RM24, Apr 27, 2010.

1. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/36809982/ns/sports-player_news/

Report: Raiders preparing to release Russell :lol:

The Raiders are "preparing the process" of releasing JaMarcus Russell, according to ESPN's John Clayton.

NFL Network's Michael Lombardi was all over this story as soon as the Jason Campbell trade went down. Despite coach Tom Cable's protestations to the contrary, the Raiders were simply not going to risk an injury that would guarantee Russell $6.45 million more than he's already stolen. Al Davis' hand-picked No. 1 overall pick in 2007 will likely be axed before this weekend's minicamp, and he may struggle to find a second opportunity elsewhere.
    Source: ESPN.com

I think JR is a bigger bust than Leaf! :lol:

2. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Russel better be a bigger bust than Leaf so we can stop being reminded of RL :(

3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    BRING HIM IN!!

WE NEED A NT!!!!

:icon_twisted:

Sorry Pointy - :lol:

4. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    There go Igor Olshansky's chances of EVER getting another interception! :icon_banana:

5. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    He should back up Tim Tebow in Denver. :lol:

6. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    http://otrsportsonline.com/2010/04/26/raiders-will-try-out-jamarcus-russell-at-left-tackle/

Raiders will try out JaMarcus Russell at left tackle
    Apr 26th, 2010 by Michael Perry

With the trade for former Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell and JaMarcus Russell’s most recent, but not unusual, weight gain, Oakland seemed to have written Russell off. They finally had enough with their underperforming, inaccurate, unmotivated, former first-overall pick. $31.5 million in guaranteed money right down the drain.

Sources close to the Oakland organization have informed OTR that what seems to be, is not true.

“The Raiders are encouraging Russell to gain weight,” the source told OTR as far as you know. “Oakland is actually more upset with Mario Henderson’s play the last couple of years. All fingers are pointing at him. If Russell can get up to 325 pounds, the left tackle position could be his.”

Henderson was selected in the 3rd round of the NFL draft in 2007 and was responsible for numerous sacks last year when Russell forgot to throw a duck downfield.

OTR reached out to Russell’s agent Ethan Lock over the weekend to confirm the information. After numerous attempts we finally got in touch with him at an In-N-Out Burger on Oakport St picking up lunch for one of his clients. We were not able to confirm which client.

“I can’t talk about that right now,” Lock said. “But I can tell you one thing, Russell’s going to tip the scales at 325 pounds one way or the other, it’s inevitable. That doesn’t mean he can’t play. More pounds equals stronger arm. It’s what we preach. I have to get going, my client doesn’t like when his buns get soggy.”

OTR thought this through and it does make sense. JaMarcus never had the body-type (nor any of the skills) to play quarterback at the NFL level. His frame is more comparable to an offensive tackle, yet he still has the athleticism of a Kendrick Perkins. A combination of success.

“I fully expect Russell to be a Raider on opening day,” the source added more information later in the post. “The open competition for left tackle this year is going to be exciting to watch. I’ve never seen anyone so determined to get to 325 pounds. This could be grounds for an extension.”

Somewhere in Denver Elvis Dumervil is licking his chops.

7. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    The Raiders should give J Russell one more chance at QB. He really might turn things around and make something of himself. :icon_rofl:

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
  9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Maybe we should get him a fruit basket for all his efforts :lol:

10. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    JaMarcus Russell could go down as biggest draft bust ever
    Posted by Michael David Smith
    April 27, 2010 6:37 PM ET

When NFL Network compiled its list of the Top 10 draft busts in league history, Ryan Leaf came in first.

Some day they'll update that list, and JaMarcus Russell may just supplant Leaf in the top spot.

If the reports out today that Russell will be released are correct, the historical record will show that the Raiders spent the first pick in the draft on a player who provided them with 25 starts and completed 354 of 680 passes (52.1%) for 4,083 yards, with 18 touchdowns and 23 interceptions. Russell was sacked 70 times and fumbled 25 times.

For the most part Leaf's numbers with the San Diego Chargers were even worse than that, which might lead some to conclude that Russell can't be a bigger bust than Leaf (even though, if reports that he weighs 300 pounds are true, he has a bigger bust than Leaf).

But Leaf was the second overall pick in 1998. Russell was the first overall pick in 2007. There have been quarterbacks picked first overall who turned out to be bad, but none so spectacularly bad as Russell.

Leaf recently told the Los Angeles Times, "I used to go to bed at night hoping somebody else like Heath Shuler might magically leapfrog me on those all-time bust lists. It never happened. Why? Because I am No. 1. I can't even think of anyone else in the ballpark that might be close to my combination of disappointment and failed expectations.''

Russell is in the ballpark now.

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Leaf was a #2 overall pick
    Russell was #1 overall pick

I think that gives the edge to JR

12. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    He wouldn't be a bust if he becomes a franchise NT :lol:

13. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    How long till he"s broke? No more revenue, and the dude seems to like to spend $$$.

14. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :tup:

15. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    WHAT!! No! Its not 2012 yet!!

Ok so clearly AL has been replaced with a cheap hollywood Halloween prop.

SO whos runnin the show now? Or do they got like a Dick CHeyney kind of thing goin on there ala Puppetmaster.

16. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I'm STILL running this Sideshow man!!!! hehehehehe......

[​IMG]

17. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Yea that guy!! I guess he finaly re-retired. Now from trying to GM a NFL team and the former his HBO stint on TFTC. Great show not so great in the NFL. It does get dishearting to kno that for all the effort the NFL puts into making the pairity equal and allow pitiful teams to find PMs TBs or whatever to stop losing but they dont... Ariz finaly got out of the gutter. Would be nice if OAK DET STL CLEV can get something going and stop makin the NFL look so poor.

Well whatever the ALbot is doin it looks like its figured out how to draft players beyond their 40 time. OMG what if that mean fist swingin abuser HC they got has locked up poor ol' AL and has taken total control??

Hmm dont like this new guy..

18. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Trade of 2 high first round picks, 2 players and a 2nd and 3rd rounder to move up one slot in the draft from 3 to 2 to get Leaf.

The two players are about equal in infuriating off-the-field and offseason behavior as well as lack of commitment to team. Leaf was also more horrific on the field when given a chance to play in terms of passer rating and INTs.

Edge to Leaf in the Bust category. I don't think anyone will ever surpass him.

19. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    LMFAO:icon_rofl:

20. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Based on the way he eats too? My guess is the money will hold out two days, perhaps

21. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    Nooo, what are you saying? he might lose weight if he starts eating fruit :no: