1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Fair is fair...some "stellar" defensive performances today...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I've been among a pretty vocal group calling out our own defenses pathetic performances...particularly the obvious SNF example.....but I think it deserves noting that we are not the only team that has an extremely bad game or two. Some of the NFL's best defenses today looked pretty damned mediocre....and for those that are already abandoning the team....and there are a few on this message board...it's worth gaining some perspective that bad games happen...and we need a bigger sample study than 4 games to see what kind of heart and pride this Chargers team has at the end of the day.

NY Giants. Got *** raped today by Drew Brees and the Saints to the tune of 48 pts and 493 yards allowed. The Saints were also calling off the dogs by early 3rd Qtr as they were already smoking the Saints. The Saints offense is good...but Giants fans must be fuming about that defensive performance.

Minnesota. Total defensive collapse today to let the Ravens back into the game. 31 pts. 448 yards allowed. They were supposedly impossible to run against and were possibly the NFC's best defense...The biggest plays in that game were Ray Rice on the ground.

Baltimore. Couldn't stop the run or the pass today. 33 pts. 426 yds allowed.....Their defensive personnel is good...but they have some serious problems defending big pass plays just like they were exposed against us.

2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Great points there, I was thinking the same thing watching some of those games. We can really turn things around with a victory and strong defensive showing tomorrow night. Let's show the NATION what Charger Football is really about. Stop the RUN and establish some kind of run! :tup:

3. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    That's really the key...If we can just IMPROVE in those two areas....not even necessarily to the point of being great or elite in running and stopping the run....This team could be very good.

You can also find some good historical examples that leave some room for optimism....The 2006 world champion Colts were actually the NFL's worst team in history statistically at stopping the run....All of a sudden in the playoffs that year, they found the formula along with getting Bob Sanders back...and all of a sudden teams had trouble running against them. I think of this team, when I think of our current problems....We already have an effective passing game obviously....We start increasing our effeciency in the running game now that we're healthy....and we'll have a very balanced and even more effective offense.....On D, if we can just start slowing down opposing running games and executing better on 3rd down stops...things will start looking better.

Lots of ifs and buts in there...but certainly not impossible as history has shown.

4. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    AND, to be completely honest, Baltimore lost the game more than the Vikings won. Hate to say it, but their D really did fall apart and the Vikes reminded me of the Chargers in that they settled for a couple of field goals when in the red zone. GRRR

5. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    This thread makes me so happy! :yes:

It's far from over in San Diego - Tackling needs to improve (which will help with stopping/slowing the run) - Health on both lines needs to improve as does performance by rookies/vets alike - Running game needs to improve.

Watching the 2002 Donkey/Bolts game yesterday on NFLN was eye opening. I saw LT running all over and he looked just like he does now but with actual room to run. True, he's a bit long in the tooth for a RB so some of those tackles he broke before he might not break now - but he's so not washed up - just been banged up and behind a line that isn't helping make up the difference.

I think with a healthy LT and Vasquez + a bye week for that oline to work on getting more in synch (which really takes time) we could see some definite improvements.

I'm worried for my boy Dielman - he's been really inconsistent but I'm not sure if that's the result of the Mcow and Dbrow being filler - I saw a GREAT breakdown of the first 4 games done by an oline coach and really the ski bro's were struggling far more than any of us here realized. Dombroski was in completely over his head - gave a valiant effort but made lot of (UFA rookie) mistakes.

All of their troubles are fixable - they are close to being what we know they can be - tomorrow night will be a big test.

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Flacco got Kaeding'd. :icon_tease: