1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Fame who gets it and why?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Eat My Boltage, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Eat My Boltage

Eat My Boltage Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Under this topic I ask the question why does Dan Fouts get all the fame and pats on the back and he never took us to a super bowl. But Stan Humphries did and you don't even see a throw back jersey for him being made by anyone. I don't get it.:icon_shrug:

2. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Same reason Rich Gannon doesn't get a ton of love from the league. Neither were great QB's, they were both just surrounded by good talent.

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Disagree on both counts.

Humphries was a gutsy, gun slinger QB who if he had the talent that PR has today would have probably won the SuperBowl.

Where Humphries falters when compared with Fouts is simple playing time. Humphries sat in Washington for several years, then when he finally had an opportunity in SD he started getting his head knocked about. Toss in Gilbride, and the disrespect that Gilbride had for Humphries and it makes for a bright, albeit short time frame.

Fouts however was sligning it for much more time. Thus there is a greater body of work to remember.

4. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Humphires probably was one of the best in throwing the deep ball when he playd. But he was overshadowed by a bunch of other great QB's in the 90's. Plus we were a play action type of offense that primarily ran the ball.

Fouts and Air Coryell was on the bleeding edge of pass offenses and took the offensive game to another level. Fouts IMO was overall a step above Humphries as a a QB and leader. He broke all kinds of records in the late 70's early 80's and was considered by many the best QB in the league.

5. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Do u see a Natrone Jersey either?

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Fouts = HOF career
    Humphries = 2 great years

Fouts = Very personable
    Humphries = Seems quiet

Fouts = On tv all the time
    Humphries = Can't remember last time I saw him on tv

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I doubt you'd find a more fiery competitor than Stan. He & Rivers share that trait in spades. And Stan fit in perfectly with Bobby Ross, a very competitive guy himself.

Fouts had the longer, more productive tenure & gets the glory. No knock on Fouts at all - extremely talented QB in a very forward-thinking & creative offense.

It's a crime that Fouts didn't get a shot at a ring. It's a damn shame that we didn't have a couple more offensive weapons & a better defense or Stan would have one.

8. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    hahahaha come on man. I love the bolts but the 94 49ers were really f*ckin good!! IDK if you can say that...

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Of course they were. They cheated and stacked the team breaking the salary cap rules.

10. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :lol:

You ain't tryin if you ain't cheatin

:flag:

11. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    The cap was new though.....:icon_huh: They paid later too as they got raped by cap at the end of the decade and through 2003 at least were paying past cap penalty...

12. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    The same reason Dan Marino is considered a better QB than Trent Dilfer.

13. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    :abq1: TRENT DIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZFER

14. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    That's easy. Fouts>Humphries.:yes:
    Plain and simple.

15. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Stan had the potential to rank up there with Fouts, I loved watching him play personally... but unfortunately his career was cut short by all those massive hits he took. I'm thankful that the rules are in place now to protect QB's brains from getting scrambled... it's a damn shame that Stan had to go out like he did :(

16. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    ITs a bigger shame he went out WHEN he did...

17. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    Stan was THE MAN. Gutsy individual, I loved watching him play.

18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    I agree he had the potential, but potential does not equal actual results. (Not saying you said that, though)

19. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Quacksaw got his fame by being obnoxious.

It's not the recommended path to recognition, but hey... I guess he was just playing the hand he was dealt. :icon_shrug:

20. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I saw Fouts play in person back in the early 70's. This was back when Johnny Unitas was at the end of his career. Anyway, Fouts sucked *** his first 4 years or so in the league. He was REAL BAD. Not many remember or post that Fouts flat out sucked in the early years. He was never known for a pretty spiral. We thought about slicing his tires he played that bad. :icon_twisted:

Coryell saved Fouts from fan death.

Fouts coat tailed off Coryell harder than the way Humphries swung off Ross's sack. Plus no one on the O-line stood up for Humphries. We had to make some "Protect Stan" T-shirts just to send a message (btw: they sold like hot cakes). No one on the O-line was nutting up to help the dude after he took cheap shots which scrambled his brain matter into something resembling a bowl of jello....and...that Super Bowl was a r-a-p-e and embarassment.

If we had won that Super Bowl, I have little doubt fans would coronate Humphries as the greatest.

Look at the way no one talks about the only QB to win us the AFL Championship back in '63 ?

21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    Us winning the Super Bowl in '94 wouldn't make Humphries better than Fouts any more than Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson's Super Bowl rings makes them better than Dan Marino.

That being said, I agree that Humphries is underappreciated.

I'd take him over the two QBs with rings that I just mentioned so I'm not trying to draw a direct comparison except to say a ring wouldn't, by itself, make him better.

22. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Well said. FOuts was one of the best of his time. Stan.... Still awesome though.

23. Eat My Boltage

Eat My Boltage Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Well here's my take on it for what it's worth... I think Stan should get the lions share of of fan fame because he at least got us to the big dance, the only time we have been there and not since. Also its good to see Trumpy posting again were have you been oh great profit ?:tup:

24. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    It is called the 12 step process to curtail posting. :icon_banana:

Plus, I am molding minds now at the local college level. The Bolts lives in the classrooms now.

25. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Fixed it for you. :icon_tease:

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    I think you're pointing a big middle finger at the Chargers '94 defense, their outstanding offensive line, as well as Natrone Means here.

Quarterbacks do not win games for NFL teams. Sure, they're huge players in it, but it still takes a team.

Is Humphries under-appreciated? Sure. Should he be lauded more than the Hall of Fame QB of the early 80s just because he had a better team around him one season? No.